Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

OH gently caress YESSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerus, you rock

Your season 1 kept me company through my insomnia last night

E: you got a betty peggy in s2e1 part one

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 23, 2020

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Y'know, is Betty on the spectrum?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yoshi Wins posted:

Whoa. I don't think so, but I can see how one could make a case.

Yeah, I'm watching now with a critical eye

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Need... more... Jerru...

Started a fresh watchthrough, the wifey is kinda watching along

Good gods is there lotsa cringe

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Not at all, Don absolutely crosses a line and it's gross as hell. As soon as I saw it I knew that there were surely a not-insignificant chunk of the audience who completely missed the point (Don is both desperate AND has a hosed up view on women) and thought it was an example of Don being "alpha" or some other misogynistic bullshit.

I think in a similar situation, Don would have held a loaded gun to Jimmy's dick though.

At this juncture in his life, if backed into a corner, his response is the viscious, dark, and wild snapping of a cornered animal.

Edit: and I don't mean some sort of hyper masculine awesome anime style don't gently caress with me, I mean like a coyote with one paw in a snare coiling and yowling as you approach

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 16, 2020

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

a new study bible! posted:

Does Jerusalem have a pateron or something? I feel like I should chip in a few bucks a month for these wonderful reviews.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

He's very smart for such a chronic underthinker. Or maybe he's an overthinker, but fucks up the hip shots. Pete is just such a smarmy gently caress.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KellHound posted:

Pete's my favorite because he is weirdly cynical and naive at the same time. Like cynical about business and good at seeing treads, but so bad at individuals. Like he understands that Kennedy has youth appeal (the comparing him to Elvis as response to "he doesn't wear a hat") and understands Trudy sleeping with a guy could get him published, but doesn't understand why Trudy would object to prostituting herself for his ego.

He's got that affluenza

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Like, how drunk would you have to be for that to happen? Like, I've gotten backsplash when wall leaning almost blackout, but peeing yourself then passing out seems a totally different ballpark.

Maybe he was just real good at it? But still struck me as potentially neurological

Edit: wait, one time when blackout I evidently opened a window and peed while singing "God Bless America" at like 3 in the morning, then fell out the window. But cutting lose in your own pants seems nuts

Edit 2: pissing your pants when you get shot at is normal, happened to me and seen it happen to others

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 13, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KellHound posted:

Jerusalem, without spoiling anything, I can't wait for you to get to Margret's wedding episode.

Jerru, this maze is not for you
is that the blackface incident?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

on the flight back, Don gives him a "you're chill, keep it to yourself" ad idea delivery on the flight back

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

When I am done watching all the episodes, I am gonna come back and click on all the spoiler tags and it's gonna be great because it'll be like reading a whole new thread :hellyeah:

Hyperthreading, it's the least we can do for you Jerru

But for real, good luck with the end of the season

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KellHound posted:

No, HE wanted to be the one to win the business, not Joan. He can pretend that it's about being chivalrous to Joan at first, but it's very clearly about his ego in every interaction he has with Jaguar guy.

That's not the read I had. Was pretty drunk the first watchthrough tho, so will reassess

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KellHound posted:

I think it's not clear in the episode on it's own, but it becomes increasingly clear with his interactions with the Jaguar guy. Every clash they have is an ego fight. Joan even calls him on it in the episode when Don "fires" Jaguar

I figured that was Joan's fears over her contribution being devalued. Like, Don is a prideful person, but Jaguar has a poo poo product

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yoshi Wins posted:

I believe Matt Weiner believes that people usually have multiple motivations for what they do. It's possible to support multiple motivations for almost every important moment in the series. Don's desperate emotional plea to Joan not to go through with it at her apartment comes across as being unrelated to ego. He's almost choked up and tells her that if this is the only way to get the account, he'd rather not be in business with people like that. But he also has a consistent pattern of wanting all the credit for all the ads his firm makes. So I believe you're both right.

what the gently caress, I leave this gay rear end forum for 16 years, I come back and people are making reasonable and good faith arguments all of a sudden. poo poo.

I want to make some pithy joke about how if we're both right, then you're wrong, but that might break the spell.

But for real, I was a fifth and a bit into the bottle first go round, so a bunch of the subtext likely got missed. Which is why this thread RULES

Yoshi Wins posted:

I was holding out hope we'd see Midge again in season 7, in recovery. That season definitely has the most optimistic tone of any season, but, alas. It was not to be.

Ugh, that would have been great. And a re-return of Paul. At least Harry makes it through

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 15, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

Harry's worse than all of them.

he's the money maker, though!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MightyJoe36 posted:

It's been a while, but doesn't he end up not making money in the merger because he was trying to screw his wife out of alimony?

I meant for the company, not for himself

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Letting old fuckwits trod all over you does not a better person make.

Or any other sort of fuckwits, for that matter

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

awww gently caress yeah, can't wait to read this later today!

"Don goes to hippy dippy cali"

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... Dick didn't cause Don's death, unless he got the at th called down on them somehow. And I don't think he thinks he did either?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

It was an accident, but he did cause it. Dick was lighting up when Don told him he pissed himself, started wiping his pants and dropped the lighter onto the gas. Don tries to kick dirt on it to put the fire out desperately while Dick runs away from the explosion.

There are a thousand and one possible ignition sources for a massive fuel dump leak, and it's dumb luck it wasn't set off by the initial bombardment.

And yeah, Greg loving sucks.

Edit: eh I'm likely just being pedantic. Regardless, I don't think Dick feels (or should feel) guilt over the mechanics of Don getting chunky salsa'd

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 27, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

sebmojo posted:

The poem I posted above is very worth a read, feels like there's a lot of relevant meaning in there.

Poem sucked.

I'd rather contemplate my navel

Edit: or some Blake or Poe or Frost. Gimme dat imagery, I need the pretty head pictures

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 28, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes a lot of resonance with the show and this season in particular, however it also sucked. Dirty beatniks so self absorbed they can only write about themselves, disgusting. If you told me paul kinsey wrote that I'd believe you.

Why you gotta come along and say it better?

I feel like Kinsey when Peggy upstaged the hell out of him

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Don Draper is a terrible human being.

Counterpoint: Don is more human than you or I

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Seems like a TV show to me?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Betty's on the spectrum, yoooooo

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerru, that is an awesome wrap up to an awesome season!

Quoting from and summarizing your reviews got my wife to give first The Sopranos, and now Mad Men, a go.

Wanted to say, thank you tons!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

sebmojo posted:

o jerusalem u have no ideaaa

Seriously, this show is tied with 2 others for my favorite role of his.

We need to ready a receptacle of some sort, this is gonna blow Jeru's socks right off

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Ken Cosgrove comes straight through Lane Pryce's door without even bothering to knock, not remotely intimidated or concerned about being summoned even if he does know about Burt Peterson's firing. Burt apologizes for interrupting his lunch but Ken shrugs it off, he just had a sandwich. He takes a seat without being offered one, openly pulling out a cigarette without bothering to check if that is an issue for Lane. He is the absolute opposite of Pete, which may be why Lane has called him in, as he tells him that Burt has left the Agency and for the first time, Ken shows a flicker of concern, should HE be worried? Not at all, promises Lane, in fact he's going to be the new Head of Accounts!

Got a Burt/Pryce swap in this bit

Fantastic writeup!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The Klowner posted:

Is it morally justified for a man to cheat on his wife if he's gay? Can he be blamed? If it's a matter of context, what is the limit? For example, if there's a difference for gays in America 1963 versus 2021, what year is the inflection point?

It's immoral to have a beard that doesn't know that they're a beard, that's for sure

Spoilered just in case, have we done Patio yet?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

VinylonUnderground posted:

I strongly prefer The Shield so that actually holds for me.

legit chuckle xD

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

The shield is more fun and while I have a problem with its attempts at commentary it doesn’t have anything as bad as the Wires season 5

The Wire had a 5th Season?

I seem to only recall a quick highlight reel of Snoop getting got, Marlo being Marlo, and Cheese getting his. Oh, and doesn't the knuckle dragger land some work with the lawyer, while still doing illegal poo poo for the BPD?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

LIGHT THE JERU BEACON

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Let him work on his own time. It took what eight years for the series to finish, if you must have more read his gta san andreas let's play. It's truly something to behold.

Ooo! How do I list threads started by someone

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Devorum posted:

I'm still salty about Carnivale. Everything was just coming together and it had so much drat potential.

Rome >>> Carnivale

Heck, Rome S1 > Anything ever

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Beamed posted:

Heads up, there's a paragraph where you use Betty when you mean Peggy about five times :v: Will never not be funny.

The dance this episode was insane. It was definitely something of a power play, as you say, but it was also super cool. I really appreciated your write-up on how it was Jennifer's realization that they would always be outsiders to those events, something Don and the old man in the bar had talked about - it hadn't sunk in for her that the rich would never let them be in the "in group", no matter how wealthy or successful they became.

"There's levels to this poo poo" sort of rich

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

what the gently caress

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yesssss! Thank you so much, Jeru!

Love these writeups so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jeru, ths poo poo is so good. I swear. It's pulling me through a rewatch at a time when doomscrolling would be a most terrible alternative.

S06e08 you've got a Betty Peggy swap during the ambo ride