Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

There were honestly moments where I was like are you SURE you haven’t seen this show before? Really good stuff.

I was thinking the same thing haha. Can't wait to see the rest of these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xealot posted:

Yeah, for as reprehensible as Pete is, he's also the funniest goddamn character. He does one of my favorite line readings in basically anything: "Not great, Bob!

Mad Men is probably my favorite TV drama ever made, and I've had some frustrating conversations with people recently who found it too slow or plodding or to be "about nothing." It absolutely is about something, I think best summarized by Faye in S4, it all comes down to what people want vs. what's expected of them. The show is filled with characters seeking to become some aspirational self, who are then confronted by the inescapable reality of who they actually are. The central focus on advertising is the perfect metaphor for this...an industry built around lies promising a better life, designed to distract people from the obvious truth that those promises were always empty.

It's interesting in retrospect that AMC's two big deal flagship shows of this period - Mad Men and Breaking Bad - so heavily explore themes of toxic masculine ambition and the isolation and destruction that brings. Obviously, the latter is way more bombastic and Shakespearean about it. But Mad Men does a really nuanced job of showing how traumatic and self-destructive it can be in small, subtle ways that accumulate over time. The best trick the show pulls off is presenting Don Draper as this stoic, confident, successful alpha male, and then showing how empty and self-loathing and lonely and vulnerable the man inside that empty suit actually is.

Mad Men is goddamn excellent.

It's also a great litmus test for deciding whether or not you want to be friends with or date somebody; if they genuinely think Don Draper is a cool guy to be emulated, steer clear! They missed the point

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I don’t think I quite agree with that positive an assessment of don, but it’d be getting into spoiler territory to talk about it, so I’m just gonna let Jerusalem make up their own mind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Same, yeah; I watched this show pretty religiously when it was on, but at this point I couldn't really recall the arc of any single season, it just feels like one long show to me. I tried to do a rewatch at one point but kind of lost steam early in season one. Fortunately, Jerusalem's recaps are thorough and insightful enough that following the thread will scratch the itch!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know how, but I definitely somehow missed the detail that the whole staircase thing was a deliberate act of sabotage on Don's part, I thought it was actually just coincidence. In retrospect I suppose it wasn't that subtle, oops

I'm also happy to see that someone else found "It's a chip n' dip! We got two." funny enough to make an entire video about it, something about that line read is just hilarious to me. I suppose because they deliberately wrote it to be memorable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lurker2006 posted:

edit: I'm sorry.

lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hobo Code really, really sold me on him as a character. His behavior with his mother and with the art department guys as well as Lois goes a long way towards showing how much he presents a particular appearance/demeanor for survival's sake, which makes that genuine moment where he tells Elliot,"I know what I want" really, really stand out incredibly strongly.

I can see why you bounced on him a little in the pilot, but I think that the treatment of his closetedness there is part of the greater over the top "take a look gang, it's the SIXTIES" stuff that early season 1 is guilty of that they tap the brakes on fairly quickly; he definitely becomes a stronger character, yeah.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's been a while since I watched this show, and man, I forgot what a scumbag Ken could be. For some reason I remembered him as the decent one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

awesmoe posted:

never stop rambling

Yeah I think everyone following this thread has opted in to reading long posts. Write what's in your heart!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

S7: God, Lou Avery is such an rear end in a top hat.

It’s been long enough since I watched this show that I’ve forgotten major plot points and episodes that you folk have been talking about in spoilers, but somehow accutron is accurate has lived in my head rent-free since I first heard it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Klowner posted:

Lou is a stable reliable non-genius, his days at SC&P were always numbered. That being said, I really want to see the Scout's Honor anime.

Oh god I forgot about scouts honor until you mentioned it. What a dickhead Lou was

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yoshi Wins posted:

I think they do well at showing Joan developing into the role of head ops honcho, but I question Lane's dialogue in the season 5 opener that "the books have been held together with spit" with her on leave, and that he's adrift without her, and that soon "everyone will see that I'm a sham." It always sounded to me like we were getting new, out-of-left-field information that Lane can't do the things everyone assumes he can. But maybe it's just his self-esteem issues are so serious that he goes about complimenting a skilled co-worker by presenting himself as useless. That wouldn't be out of character!

He also asks Joan, "What do I do here?" and she replies with the vague, "Something essential." I thought it was pretty clear what he did. Keep the books, watch the companies debt/credit/payroll, identify areas to cut costs, etc. A role that is rarely seen as non-essential to running a business with tens of millions in billings. The presentation just never smelled right to me.

You also have to keep in mind that he's British, and is genetically predisposed to understatement. I remember some story about a joint American/British battle in the Korean war, where a British unit was about to be completely overwhelmed and surrounded, and the American commander didn't send reinforcements because the British commander chose to communicate the predicament as "a bit sticky" so I can totally believe Lane describing his incredibly important role in the organization as not a huge deal, especially if he's depressed. That said, I haven't watched this show in a very long time and have forgotten most details, so I could be completely forgetting major characterization in season 5 (tbh I thought Lane had already died by then, so shows what I remember)

Xealot posted:

Playing a delusional gently caress-up is probably pretty fun for an actor; I hope it's the first one.

The feeling I got from the Paul / Peggy rivalry was like a really low-stakes Salieri thing. I still don't think Paul is "terrible" at his job, just very mediocre and totally delusional about his level of talent. It's almost worse than him being objectively awful, he just...is. Maybe the show's intent was for the "my god" scene to mean "I suck at this," but I read it as his dawning realization that Peggy just has "it," some way of thinking that he doesn't.

My read on Paul is that he's one of those guys who's just useful enough that it'd be more trouble to fire him than to keep him on, but he sits very close to that line

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Weekend at Roger’s

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

He sees soul in Betty's work. He sees heart.

Of all the seasons to make this typo after

Also I know I'm not saying anything original here, but it must be acknowledged how disgustingly charming John Slattery is in this show (and possibly irl, I've never met him). Roger's such a slimy little worm when you take three seconds to think about his behavior, but he oozes that kind of easy wit and charisma that just makes you want to like him anyway, and Slattery's delivery is perfect for it. I particularly love him in the gallows humor moments, it would be so easy to gently caress those lines up and make the character feel corny, but he makes it look very natural and believable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Marjoribanks is marshbanks
Beauchamp is beecham
Leicester is lester
Gloucester is gloster
Worcestershire is worstershir

ma'am is mom

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Klowner posted:

I don't recommend anyone give this channel any views (especially Jerusalem for spoiler-related reasons).

I would recommend Jerusalem avoid watching any mad men clips on youtube in general, because I watched a few and now i'm getting recommended clips with massive spoilers in the title

I imagine Jerusalem is aware of how the internet works and is doing this already but just in case, it is a minefield out there

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I agree with people's takes re Breaking Bad, but I have to say, the show sometimes feels like it wasn't on the same page. Like at times it couldn't decide on whether Walt was a fool or the coolest dude alive, and even in the last season you had ostensibly cool moments of Walt just dominating relative innocents (like with the laser sights) and then at last with what was in his trunk.

The show would have been better if it was a little more clear eyed and brutal towards its protagonist, like Mad men.

Yeah, the more I think about Breaking Bad's finale, the more I'm realizing I kind of didn't like it at all, and I think this post does a good job explaining why. We spend the series watching Walt experience his horrible decay, waiting for the consequences of that, and then in the final episode he gets to quickly and neatly wrap up all his loose ends doing Cool Dude poo poo and then dying on his own terms after rescuing Jesse and killing a bunch of Nazis with a machine gun (which he used his Cool Dude brain to rig up a cunning trap with).

I mean, you can't say that bleeding out on the floor of a meth lab after a gunfight with nazis is a happy ending for a person, generally, but it seemed a lot neater and tidier than Walt deserved; almost like winking at the horrible men who watch the show for the wrong reason and saying "yeah you're right, Walt is pretty badass, huh?" It seemed out of tone with the rest of the series, imo, although we do at least get to see definitively that his family hates his guts and wouldn't have wanted to ever reconcile with him even if he had lived; there's that I guess. And at least El Camino gave us closure for Jesse, I never liked that the show ended without really finishing the arc of its second-most important, and infinitely more sympathetic, character. With the way it ended in the show, it felt like it was saying "Jesse only mattered in terms of his relationship to Walt" which felt wrong to me

Still a great show, but now that the honeymoon period is over I'm ready to admit I didn't think it stuck the landing very well. But endings are hard, I couldn't have done better

Also re: skylar; the bullshit with misogynists got so bad that the actress herself became a target, she even wrote a column in the NYT about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking about it now, between the smoking and nonstop drinking, don and roger must have smelled awful

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

:same: and for the same reasons; worse shows had trained me to expect some kind of unearned drama. For a second it seemed like a morbid way to upset the new normal that the hour had been establishing and get the kids back into Don's new life full-time.

My mind didn't go anywhere quite that dark, but I did assume that they were about to walk in on Henry and Betty mid-coitus. But that's why brains like mine don't write shows like mad men!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

...is that finn from the sopranos?

e: i looked it up, it is!

ee: i just realized that putting a no-context spoilered line right after this observation might make it seem like it's related to it, but it is not! do not mouse over it, jerusalem

Add me to the list of people who loved Lane & Don's big night out, though it only makes Lane's ending even more crushing :(

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 5, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had originally intended to watch the show alongside the recaps, but then I realized that Jeru's recaps are so thorough, and my attention span is so bad, that I actually get more out of the show from reading the recaps than watching it myself.

I did watch it when it was on, but my memories of it are so bad that I apparently forgot about an entire one of Don's wives (e: oh wait, maybe it wasn't a wife, just a love interest. either way i forgot about the entire character of dr. miller)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/madmenqts/status/1405971578911875074?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i dont know if roger's military past is ever explained in detail, a lesser show would have him spill his guts to the camera but i think enough of the pieces are here to make a solid assumption. if roger was an officer on a destroyer, then he probably did see some serious poo poo.

This is my read on it too; for as much as Roger is a privileged rear end in a top hat, the way Slattery plays him--not just in this episode, but especially this episode--makes it seem like he really did see some horrible things in combat. I haven't actually rewatched the show in a while, so forgive me if I'm remembering details wrong, but the way he carries his service (especially, if I'm remembering right, the way he kind of regards Don's war as a lesser one) comes off as like "I saw some serious poo poo and I deserve respect for it but I don't feel the need to get into specifics about it;" whereas if he'd spent the entire war behind a desk, I feel like he'd have more of a chip on his shoulder about it and feel like he had something to prove. For as blustery as Roger is, he doesn't seem to feel the need to impress people with war stories, he just kind of builds an aura that says "I don't want to talk about the war, but believe me that I have Stories." Then something like this episode triggers his PTSD and it comes spilling out.

That said, I've forgotten pretty much everything about this show outside of Jerusalem's recaps, so maybe there's some cotton hill-rear end "tojo took my shins" scenes i'm forgetting about. I've also never served so the above observations are just based on what others have told me, it could all be completely off base

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also interpreted the end of this episode as Don just straight up lying and hoping that Roger was too blackout to remember, but I guess the other interpretations work equally well for Roger's character; he takes credit for "finding" Don when in reality he tried to make him go away but got too drunk to follow through. Don comes across differently depending on how you read it though I think; fully pretending that Roger did something he actually didn't do is way ballsier than just misinterpreting something he said.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just realized that I crossed another wire in my head and misremembered another character; I could have sworn, full-on mandela effect style, that the "cure for the common breakfast" guy was Mathis, but it seems I'm mistaken and have forgotten about the existence of yet another character from this show

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It also made Jerusalem's description of him pretty funny, I was like "go easy on the guy, i don't remember him looking that middle-aged"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xealot posted:

I have this thought with a lot of shows, just a vague preoccupation with people's hygiene and how horrendous it would be to be around them. Definitely on things like Game of Thrones, which really sells how putrid medieval Europe must have smelled. But yeah, strung-out drunk or post-overnight-affair Don Draper must be....pretty rank.

Maybe all the booze and sweat and BO and other body smells are completely masked by his constant smoking. Having worn a wool suit in New York in the summer, I've definitely gone out of my way to commute home for a shower to feel human again before a night out. That he seldom seems to feel a pressure to do this hits me in a very visceral way.

Yeah I mentioned earlier in the thread that even without the sex, Don and Roger must have smelled absolutely awful at all times on account of the nonstop drinking and smoking; the response seemed to be that prior to widespread smoking bans, everyone just kind of smelled like that apparently (or at least were around the smell often enough that maybe it just didn't stand out as exceptional); i suppose adding a bit of sex to the mix isn't enough to be remarkable.

It could also just be that betty being betty (early in the show anyway) she just willfully ignored any suspicious smells by filing them away in the same vault she filed all the other obvious red flags away in

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sebmojo posted:

they did have showers in the 60s, they're not a 21st century invention

when you drink as much as don, it doesn't really help

anyway what prompted the inquisition was someone noticing that don appears to go from gently caress mode to work/family mode with no explicit signs that he's showered in between, so don't @ me about 20th century bathing technology like i don't know

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 8, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sebmojo posted:

We never see him poop either ftm

did you read the most recent recap? it's established that people poop in this universe (well, when they can concentrate anyway)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemcnamee3000/status/1420407838023720964?s=21

I fully did not recognize January jones in this photo, even after being told that it was her (though I only know her from mad men). Then someone pointed out in the replies that it’s probably because she’s smiling

Acting is a hell of a thing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love Roger's laughing outburst in the partner's meeting in this scene, Slattery completely nails that reaction.

"I'm sorry...is there more business?"

I also really like how (unless i'm misremembering the recap i just read 3 minutes ago) there isn't any kind of dramatic or inciting incident that causes Lucky Strike to bail. Like throughout the whole show, they keep stressing how important the Lucky Strike business is and how it's the keystone of their entire balance sheet, and when they finally do leave, it isn't because of anything interesting or exciting, it's just that offscreen, some unnamed accountant did some math and concluded that they'd make more money with another agency. Completely boring and impersonal capitalist bullshit that has the potential to completely ruin the agency that was depending on them.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 4, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

I knew him first as the President from Red Alert 2.

Honestly same. Now that I'm older, I appreciate that series really Going For It by casting serious (or at least very famous) actors in these goofy, goofy parts (yes, this link is exactly what you think it's going to be)

also,

quote:

But this time she doesn't react with shock or anger to his arrival, this time she's thrilled. They're not have a painful quasi-courting anymore, they're lovers now, and she quickly announces to Stan and Danny to go on without her because she's going to take care of this delivery and then practice for her pitch in her office. She leads Danny off down the corridor, once again glowing with excitement, the thrill of seeing him overwhelming all else.

goodness peggy, i'm all for sexual liberation but pace yourself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If i'm remembering it right, Don pulls a "you can't fire me, i quit" move by writing an open "why i'm quitting tobacco" letter which he, ironically, gets fired for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Klowner posted:

In a broader sense, it does further his reputation of being a loose cannon, which combined with his other behavior, eventually lead to his getting "put on leave"

Yeah I was getting my seasons mixed up I guess. I knew he got in trouble for it, and I remembered he got fired (de facto), but I forgot they were separate offenses