Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes!!!!! I am so glad this thread is finally here.

First recap was great, and I’m really impressed at your perception. There were honestly moments where I was like are you SURE you haven’t seen this show before? Really good stuff.

Bookmarking this thread so it doesn’t take me two days to notice it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By who? It’s great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hmm, maybe we should not be having discussions about such major events given that the thread is for recaps by someone watching it all for the first time!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ugh these reviews are so good!! Pete is such a great character and his rant in this episode is hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Him saying nobody ever told him he’s good with people before is such an amazing self-own too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 is probably my favourite season tbh, just barely edging out 4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough if I was gonna get into my proper season rankings I was gonna spoiler tag it but I don’t think just saying “I personally like this one the most” counts!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep!! When Community started she was “Pete’s wife from Mad Men” to me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

4 is my favorite.

I tend to think of this show in 3 arcs. Seasons 1-3 the show feels more like the 50s to me, and it kinda fits with the idea that "the 60s don't really start until Kennedy dies." 4-6 are like the 60s, through the Summer of Love and when the protests all get going. Season 7 is like the beginning of the 70s - after the 60s burnout and the start of something new, even if it still technically starts in the late 60s

Totally agreed with this. I also think (Jerusalem don’t read this seriously!) that 2 and 3 are probably the weakest seasons - they’re still great, especially 2, but I definitely had somewhat of a sense of it treading water. Then the s3 finale comes and gives the show a huge kick in the rear end and those changes really propel it to all-timer status for me. 6 also has a repetition feel at times but the difference is that it’s 100% intentional in that case imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Another great one. This series really rewards your analytical style, I think, since it leans heavily on themes and nuance.

Agreed!

This is a fantastic episode and it has one of my favourite quotes from the series:

quote:

“Look, we’ve got oysters Rockefeller, beef Wellington, napoleons. If we leave this lunch alone it’ll take over Europe.”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Hildy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve always been a bit confused as to whether they actually got two or not. Why would Trudy be so mad if they already had one?

(I mean, obviously because of the rifle, but the specific wording she uses makes it seem like it was something she kinda treasured?)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm really conflicted about the Don-as-serial-killer line they dropped. You can still see a lot of it in S4. It would have been a . . . very different show. Dextermania was a part of the zeitgeist in weird ways because it was such a mediocre show.

There’s no way this was ever going to be a real thing.

My favourite finale theory that never happened was (Jerusalem, this is ok to read because it’s not actually related to anything in the show, but I spoiled it JUUUUST in case) that Don was going to turn out to be D. B. Cooper, the man in 1971 who hijacked an aircraft, stole $200k, parachuted out, and was never found.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread makes me want to continue my Mad Men rewatch SO MUCH but I also wanna wait until Jerusalem is up to where I was (finished s2) and then watch along with the reviews but ugh it’s so good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Ken certainly gains a different perspective of things by the end

hahahahaha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

"Mr. Campbell...who cares?" is such a great moment.

It really, really is. Unbelievably satisfying, and extremely Sopranos-esque as far as brilliant anticlimaxes go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree, Mad Men IS a cool show!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, plus it’ll be cool for Jerusalem to read through the thread once he’s done!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s embedded in the post?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MAN what an incredible finale

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hildy is the best character

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Excellent writeup.

I will say, without getting too far into anything, that being meandering is kind of in this show’s nature. Some seasons have stronger arcs than others, but there’s mostly a “collection of thematically related short stories about the same characters” feel about them. I love that poo poo though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just caught up with all the s2 recaps so far at once during a slow shift and drat this is such a good show and Jerusalem you capture it all so well.

Three Sundays is definitely a season 2 highlight for me. An amazing episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow I finally caught up with this thread again!!! Obviously the recaps are fantastic but the rest of the discussion is excellent too. This thread is exhausting to read, but in a good way, because there’s so much to chew on, and so many thoughtful posts.

Excited for Jerusalem to finish this season (the finale is SO good) and get onto s3 where I will be watching along with the writeups!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To me, Mad Men is about a group of men and women who work in advertising in the 1960s and run into various problems.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Viewers idolised Tony Soprano even after Chase started basically using the show to yell in their faces about what an awful piece of poo poo he was, it’s unfortunately no surprise they didn’t see that Don was meant to be a tragic character

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VinylonUnderground posted:

So you think Paths of Glory is an effective antiwar movie?

This feels like a trick because.....yes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress YES he is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mad Men is the first thing I and I imagine a lot of others really noticed Harris in, and it’s just one of the many gifts this show gave us

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yoshi Wins posted:

Another little aside related to that: You'd think Shelley lived in Atlanta or something, given her thick Southern accent, but she says that she's "based out of New York." She is, in fact, someone he could bump into on the streets of Manhattan. His exposure isn't even limited!

I noticed this too, and Don’s reaction to it. I think that while he was toying with the idea earlier, that revelation possibly that made him decide to take a step back and try not to sleep with her....which he obviously then backtracks on quite quickly.

As for the opening to the episode, I really enjoyed it. There’s a lot of Sopranos DNA there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Random fact: the actress who plays Shelly in this episode also played a flight attendant in mid-00s classic Snakes on a Plane.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that’s just the Sopranos-esque supernatural stuff working its way in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Something I see happen a lot is people being worried about being "right", but if you can reasonably argue a justification for a reading then it is a valid one even if people disagree with it.

Someone really needs to teach CD the “reasonable” part

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
poo poo yeah I can post this now:

https://youtu.be/Pvo-4kCLAjM

and the full Jon and January version:

https://youtu.be/FV-IbKB5dlo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the ep and I saw it as a loving look too. Also I had completely forgotten that Sally’s teacher is played by Abigail Spencer from Rectify and Timeless!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there’s plenty of The Wire season 5 that isn’t poo poo, unfortunately the poo poo parts are most of the two main storylines

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought these days it was generally accepted that 2 was one of the stronger seasons?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loving love BB and it’s definitely unfair to say it’s just plot-focused because the character work is fuckin fantastic but it’s definitely more plot-based than Mad Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Prince Myshkin posted:

It very obviously is and you're relying on people not actually having seen it to make your argument.

Truffaut's assertion an anti-war movie is impossible because the events depicted via the medium of cinema would be too thrilling does not hold true for a movie with three minutes of actual war scenes that's just frame after frame of men ignominiously dying.

I don't even think a shot is fired by an onscreen character until three random men are executed so the scumbag general can save face.

I watched Come and See for the first time the other day and lemme tell you anyone who thinks you can’t make an anti-war movie after seeing that is insane