Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

How does Pete only make $75 a week when the dumpy guy makes $200 and ken makes $300? Arent they all the same position? Is it just because he's there for his name and they feel like they can take advantage of him without him knowing better?

either seniority or the amount of accounts. I think it’s revealed later on that Ken brings in more business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yoshi Wins posted:

Paul is a total boob. His pickup lines are bad, his brown-nosing attempts are way too obvious, and his idea of a great piece of writing is him telling the story of the time he got along with some Black people.

I kind of love the moment when he – while high and struggling to come up with a new pitch with Peggy and someone else – quotes the hollow men by TS Eliot, and everyone else is all “we get it, you’re educated.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

He had a clear decent into madness that season, and I don’t disagree with him going after such an act, but I think it should’ve been a more slow and creeping pace, rather than evolving so abruptly as it did. Maybe if they made it last a bit longer, like the english guy’s (Pryce’s?) final season

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

MoaM posted:

Ginsberg was always an allegory for hippies in that '68-ish timeframe

nah, they had several beatniks and hippies directly in the show both before and after, like those people Stirling’s kid ran off with

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ginsberg is easily one of my favourite characters on the show

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve always thought the huge crowd of sobbing secretaries was performative and kind of silly, and always had more respect for Peggy not playing into it, but back then the whole mass media celebrity culture was just starting to grow legs, so the shock might’ve been real enough, I guess

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I might be misremembering, but didn’t Mathis end up taking Don’s advice in completely the opposite way? Like instead of making a light-hearted joke about himself with the soap, he just further insulted the client? I never read that as Don getting away with it over “being handsome” but more Mathis not understanding how to defuse a situation at all. You don’t need to look good to make light of something and turn a new page

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this is the season you want to start paying attention to Pete’s hairline, Jerusalem

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

That's in "Mystery Date," the episode that also has the "Don imagines he strangles a woman to death and puts the body under the bed" and "Peggy brings Dawn to her apartment and checks every box possible on the White Privilege/Passive Racism scorecard" storylines.

that scene with Don always reminds me of the episode in The Sopranos when Tony is out of his mind over food poisoning (I think) believes he is chasing some italian woman, and later on imagines himself arguing with Carmella over his make-believe infidelity. The Peggy scene is also priceless, the way Dawn instantly sees through her poo poo when Peggy is trying really hard to appear friendly, but constantly throws a number of obvious looks towards her purse

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Back to S4 chat: It's also important to think about Faye and Megan's respective interactions with Don's kids, given his weird relation with maternal figures in his life. Faye is incredibly uncomfortable when she is forced to deal with Sally turning up unexpectedly at Don's office, speaking to her in a patronizing way the entire time and admitting to Don after the fact that she was not ready for that interaction.

If I recall correctly, Faye even scolds him and has a slight meltdown in that moment due to the fact that she (most likely incorrectly) thought having Sally at work was a planted test from Don

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Beamed posted:

can we stop responding to the bad posts that don't understand TV and instead share our favorite mad men era dance?

the one coming up, and Ken’s tap dance when Cutler gives everyone drugs in one of the last few seasons

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yoshi Wins posted:

Yeah, not really. Maybe we're kind of spoiling Jerusalem here.

Oh really? It always felt to me like he was trying to be a gracious host, and he just didn't know what the gently caress to do.

he is holding a massive grudge against Japan from the war, and the whole episode is about him refusing to let that go

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

VinylonUnderground posted:

My own stated thesis aside, at the end of the show Don hasn't lost anything he can't easily regain.

He has thoroughly sabotaged every single personal relationship, including his own children. The only thing he might’ve kept at the end is his job, but someone ho has work but no friends or family at all is not remotely glamorous. everyone who would still respect him has moved away and/or lost it, and even if the coke-ad is his idea, he is not a well-respected man anymore, and considering he works for the biggest agency at that point, it means within the industry at large. None of that is easily repaired. Him barely getting back his job again before they merged with the big agency was practically a fluke, and he only survived by doing the same scheme Duck did at the very beginning which lead to the merger

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 6, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I am uncomfortable with this sort of “justice by the masses” thing where someone is voted out from a thread, so my vote would be “whatever, if someone posts something unreasonable or just trolls, then just probate them when that happens”. nobody has ever been physically harmed by reading some opinion of a TV show that you disagreed with or thought was really dumb, and ten new unread posts in a thread isn’t a crime

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

pentyne posted:

before Breaking Bad took off like a shot and Skylar became the new MRA hate target.

I recall the OP of every Breaking Bad-thread here even had to put up an explicit warning that calling Skyler a “oval office” would get you banned, because it was just so constant and incessant.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Blood Nightmaster posted:

As somebody who's never seen Breaking Bad I have to ask, why was this opinion so ubiquitous? I don't mind spoilers if it helps contextualize things. I hear it was a great show so I'll probably watch it someday regardless

it baffled me even the first time I saw the show, but I think it was because they somehow perceived her to stand in Walt’s way and hold him back from becoming the next drug kingpin, or something. basically just completely misunderstanding the point entirely, like everyone idolising Draper or Anthony Soprano

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

A subtle contrast that somehow stuck with me, that exemplifies Don’s change throughout the series is that in the first season he seems like the natural centre of any party, even when he just wants to sod off and be somewhere else. later on, after Cutler et.al. are involved, he arrives at a party in the office, and just stands there, awkwardly at the edge, and whether or not he was present wouldn’t really matter at all. and he is the boss of creative! and a partner! usually that status should give some gravitas to your presence, but it doesn’t in Don’s case, which shows just how pathetic he has become after season 4. kind of an echo of Pete’s baby shower and/or Harry’s bachelor party earlier, during his first disappearance

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 7, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my hot take about Ted Chaough is that he is who Paul Kinsey would have become, had Paul been talented and savvy enough to start and build his own agency

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was more surprised by how long they waited for that to happen. I might be jaded from too much television, but their dynamic practically had “gonna hook up, but a lot of will they/will they not” written all over it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the bloke who plays michael ginsberg has the rare ability to be simultaneously a "babyface", while also looking older than he is. in the two seasons in the middle of superstore, the actor is about my age now, and he somehow looks older than I am, while also looking really young

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

every time I watch that scene with Betty doing everything she can to keep Sally's therapist as her own, I can't help but remember the line "she is a child" from her own therapist back in season 1.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah, Jerusalem does bring up valid points about Betty in their write-ups, but it’s also simultaneously true that Betty is incredibly emotionally immature compared to pretty much any other woman in the show. (future spoiler) and that becomes even more glaringly obvious after Don and Megan gets married

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Boxman posted:

(I'm a lawyer - I think I've got your family beat when it comes to "questionable media depictions of the profession")

you’re telling me it’s not about who can shout objection the loudest in order to have the biggest temper tantrum?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

KellHound posted:

Also, is season 5 when they start shaving his hairline or did that start already in season 4? I remember it being subtle enough that I didn't realize it at first.

they actually started that as early as season 2

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

pete gets the brunt of most of it, not undeserved, but harry really is, in my opinion, the scummiest person of them all, second only to the douchebag that peggy fired

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the first time i watched the series, I think I instinctively thought “Don, no” during those scenes, since we’ve seen the same set-up blow up before

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pryce’s fight with Pete is such a satisfying scene, I feel it’s also telling that, in contrast to earlier when Stirling wanted to duke it out, nobody did anything to prevent it from happening. its as if everyone around feels that he really has it coming this time

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

“grimy little pimp” is such a poetic insult

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I forget, was the book in house of cards supposed to be fiction à la Knausgård, or was it supposed to be a political biography? if it’s the latter, then i’ve never heard of a book that doesn’t suck rear end writing-wise

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

its great in the episode where theyre all on speed that they never really do any kind of "inside the mind of x character" stuff, you just see it played out rather flatly. ken dancing, dons "creative spark" as hes running around. it feels exactly like walking into a methheads house lmao

that episode rules. especially Don’s arch

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

these last two episodes are a real one-two kick in the gut.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

have we gotten all the stuff about Dick's brother and how he died yet? idr when that gets fleshed out but it's pretty hosed up the way the suicides in Don's life both have a direct connection to money, and with Don's line about gratitude not mattering because "that's what the money's for!!", throwing money in Peggy's face, i dunno man, yikes on yikes on yikes. The alchoholic meltdown spiral that's coming up for Don makes a lotta sense, since he's not exactly going to therapy

I had to check, and god drat if it doesn't come up the very next episode. I forgot how relentlessly bleak the end of season 5 is.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

outside of the original airing, ive never been able to watch this episode and the season finale spaced out at all. they really do feel the closest mad men ever gets to a 2 parter

apart from the actual two-part premiere of the next season :ssh:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

your friendly reminder that pete's actor is actually older than cosgrove's

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

don and trump both share the first name for their public persona, makes u ,think

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

only just now remembered that this is the season where not only do SCDP and CGC join up, it’s also the season where Cutler gets everyone high on speed or whatever it is, jesus does the show move fast from here on out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

while Joan’s anger is very understandable, Don did nothing wrong when he fired Jaguar. bringing in your own guy to “learn the ropes” is the first step towards getting cut off. the account was lost anyways, Herb just wanted to be the one to say it at his own leasure two weeks later

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

but anyway, speaking of fathers and sons, it's cool that Don and Roger got to pretend to be decent dads for a day before the reality of their failures hit them in the face.

I am super excited for when Jerusalem hits that moment :getin:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

his breakup speech in the ambulance is so god drat brutal, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I think he eventually got banned for saying it would be okay for an adult to have sex with a 16-year-old.

:stonklol: