Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

lurker2006 posted:

I think one of the things that's hard to square is Don's seemingly unusual capacity for forgiveness and selfless gestures, at least in his professional life. Outside of his pathological adultery and the ensuing fallout he seems to be a genuinely upstanding person, not really the corporate climber shithead you'd expect from the archetype.

ill give you forgiveness and selfless gestures, but saying someone is an upstanding person except for that time he drunkenly raped his assistant is kinda burying the lede

it is fair to say he is a man of contrasts! some good, some not so good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

hmm, maybe we should not be having discussions about such major events given that the thread is for recaps by someone watching it all for the first time!
I totally agree in one sense, but...there's really interesting discussions to be had based on these episodes, contrasting characters' early portrayal against the later versions of their characters, themes as they show up for the first time, etc etc. All of that stuff gets jumpstarted by jerusalem's writeups, and it would be a real shame to have nowhere to discuss it. I don't really know what a good solution is (except jerusalem not reading the thread :haw:)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Welp it finally happened, after the last 8 episodes maxxed out at like 45k characters, I ended up going overboard on this one. If these things are getting way too verbose, let me know, and I'll try to be a bit more efficient with my wordcount. I tend to - and greatly enjoy - rambling on about a point :sweatdrop:
never stop rambling

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i think I find the betty/peggy mixups so funny because you're usually so careful and mistake-free
but this just made me lol

quote:

Katherine of course doesn't like that kind of talk, and with a hard look goes the nuclear option, declaring that Betty's father would "like it" if she lit a candle for him. She leaves the table, Betty cringing slightly when she strokes her cheek with one finger and tells her she prays for her. Her mother has an image in her head of what she thinks Betty should be, and it's one that Betty rejects utterly... but she's trapped in familial duty. Like Pete and the empty casket, Peggy probably thinks it makes no difference if she lights a candle or not since her father is still going to be dead, but she can't say that. She doesn't want to just be the "pretty face" that her mother obviously puts so much stock in, wanting her to marry and have kids while Betty herself is interested in developing a career and rising up in her profession. It is the trap of the adult, to have your own values and interests but still find yourself beholden to those of your parents just because you don't want to upset them, to find yourself regressing to a power dynamic that no longer makes any sense to you but that you feel guilty for resenting.
(please consider this good-natured ribbing and not complaining!)
great writeup, as always. you did a great job nailing down that sense of parallel emotional disconnection that pete and peggy went through

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

I'm torn (no pun intended) on Don ripping the last page out of the book. It's been a while since I read it, but from my recollections having the narrative stop midsentence would be perfectly on-brand for the rest of the text.

i went and reread the last few pages (https://www.fadedpage.com/books/201410L9/html.php ) and its not easy to identify a coherent thematic reference between the two. I think its just a cool book that she could have been reading, rather than anything much deeper than that. (you could make some kind of link about things being in their proper order, and normality/the status quo being restored, but that doesnt really fit because don ends the episode in california and not ny, so its reaching pretty far)
i guess it IS a book about a dysfunctional family...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
hell yeah get wrecked, pete