Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Great writeups! As I read I can see the scenes in my head from memory. Very insightful stuff, I look forward to these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Two things I think about a lot from this season are

1. The scene where Paul is told Don's going to California in his stead and he reacts, "He can't do that!" The group's reaction is merely to laugh and no one even bothers to correct him. Of course he can. Like, these abstract qualities of "clout" and "authority" made manifest so swiftly and so sharply they humiliate a man to his core. Don obviously never meant that, but that didn't matter at all. I couldn't imagine getting so thoroughly owned by my boss in front of my peers, and to know (or even suspect) that it wasn't personal. At the very least I'd want such a slight to be personal.

2. Roger is so casual about Don's impromptu vacation that I honestly thought I had skipped an episode. I knew going in that this was a show that was, in part, about a guy who gets away with goddamn near everything primarily because of how he carries himself but wow. I think about how if he showed the slightest hint of guilt, or gave any sort of verbal mea culpa to Roger that whole outcome would've gone very differently. But his inscrutable, unapologetic poker face takes him so freaking far in life it is breathtaking.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Gene's admission that he should've died first is such a gutpunch moment of clarity. I've had grandparents who have shared that sentiment. It makes me believe that in his moments of clarity he does remember the things he does, which must be quite the assault on his pride.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The foot scene is one that cemented this show in my mind as one of the funniest shows on television, period. I had the same realization as you - it was both a complete surprise and completely telegraphed. It could have ONLY happened to Guy.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Another fantastic writeup. It's strange, but despite Peggy's unwanted pregnancy I've always felt she had such a firm grasp on her own sexual adventures. I was delighted and also unsurprised to see she had no hints of shame on her the morning after. It was unexpected sure, but it's what she wanted in the moment, and we can sense that she won't let it complicate her career moves. To that end, I didn't think the hookup was all that wierd.

Duck's line about tasting the alcohol was sure as poo poo wierd to me though. Got me wondering if he asks prostitutes to, like, pour whiskey on their tits so he can lick it off. Wierd guy, Duck.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I remember cringing at Pete's scene because it seems petty and self-indulgent, and it didn't look like he stood to gain anything by antagonizing his wife's father. He could've done literally nothing and let Trudy handle it, but no he just had to get his jab in.

He takes what people say and think about him way too seriously. This whole episode was a big W for him and he just couldn't not rub someone's nose in it.

I can't help but think his decision this episode is what influenced his father-in-law to push the "mutually assured destruction" button later, with telling Trudy about the whole brothel thing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Had forgotten how much Peggy owned this episode. Completely put that guy in his place, and did the work too.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I would guess that the sort of college Betty went to was more of a finishing school rather than the more typical college experience we think of today that Megan likely got.

Anyway, despite being uncomfortable, Don is a gigantic horse's rear end in the way he treats Megan here. She put out everything she had to honor her husband and he just threw it in her face and treated her like poo poo for it. The mature thing would be to actually loving communicate and respect the fact she did a ton of work, even if he doesn't like big parties. I still remember watching this live and thinking, "Don, go gently caress yourself" and my mind clearly hasn't changed.

How much poking is too much though? He practically begged her to drop it, even for just the night. Next morning he wouldve been far more diplomatic but he was exhausted and she just would not let it go.

I also have far less sympathy for characters that stubbornly disregard answers they dont like for ones they do. “It couldnt be he didnt like the party. It MUST be because hes turning 40. I will continue to needle him about this because I want it to be true.”

Hes an rear end for sure and Jeru is right its stupid to try and score points over your own partner. I think theyre equally culpable though. They can both go gently caress themselves!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

A script so bad I can't even write or say it's title out loud without feeling a little gross. Paul is indeed the most beautiful of idiots.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I can only assume the J Walter Thompson pitch had an even bigger bottle on it with smaller, fewer words. Perhaps just "Ketchup" on the bottom.

And the clients all stood up and applauded.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Regarding Pete and Harry: This is definitely one of the topmost "Heartbreaking: The worst person you know just made an excellent point" moments on the show. Pete is so loving slimy nearly 100% of the time, but for all his lack of character he would never ever defend an assassination. It's both surreal and completely unsurprising a character like Harry doesn't even clear that low of a bar.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I gave a "hell yeah" at my TV when Peggy sat at Don's desk she absolutely belongs there.

I also hate everything about Lou Avery and I will not spoiler that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Im betting those old 60s pop tarts were NOT GREAT, BOB!