Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That begs the question: WHY is "Gaylord" a common last name?

Yes, I know that it is a fairly modern take on the word, but nonetheless, I am curious as to it's origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shadow0 posted:

Readers of this thread might enjoy this Wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_considered_unusual?wprov=sfla1

A lot of town are named after other foreign towns or in foreign languages, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "Bad X" towns are named so because of German.

https://german.stackexchange.com/qu...%20authorities.

I have always enjoyed the "Translated" names of places that end up being stupid.
Like, The Sahara Desert. Sahara is a word for Desert. So it's the Desert Desert.

Or the baseball team The Los Angeles Angels.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

When I was young I listened to a radio play on the naming of US towns, based I believe on this book. Of course, one was as far as I could tell made up which was Strange, Montana with the origin of finding a dead body with a note on it saying "strange is how I lived and died".

Live by the strange, die by the strange.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What was that place ...uhhh they used the same name for alot of the rivers and landmarks, because the surveyors were asking a local tribe what they called it, and kept giving that one answer.
Turns out they were saying " We have no idea what you are asking us" / " I do not understand you"