Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I know im talking from the foyer of my glass house but they say this about UF every single year

:confused:

"When will UF get back to greatness?" has been the media narrative for like a decade. I can't really remember anyone picking UF to do anything nationally significant in years.

if we just look at media preseason predictions for the SEC...

2019: 2nd in east
2018: 2nd in east
2017: 2nd in east
2016: 2nd in east
2015: 5th in east
2014: 3rd in east
2013: 3rd in east
2012: 3rd in east
2011: 3rd in east
2010: 2nd in east
2009: 1st in east

We haven't even been picked to win the east since 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Eh, maybe the SEC media hasn't expected much, but the national media has definitely been salivating at the idea of Florida being back ANY WEEK NOW and I think y'all have benefited in terms of the polls/general perception from that kind of thing at times. Obviously, Mullen has legitimately helped y'all turn the corner, but UF was never allowed to become truly irrelevant despite a lack of success.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

RumbleFish posted:

Eh, maybe the SEC media hasn't expected much, but the national media has definitely been salivating at the idea of Florida being back ANY WEEK NOW and I think y'all have benefited in terms of the polls/general perception from that kind of thing at times. Obviously, Mullen has legitimately helped y'all turn the corner, but UF was never allowed to become truly irrelevant despite a lack of success.

Sure. But the media wanting UF to be good versus predicting them to be good are two different things.

Hotlanta is making it sound like UF has had a lot of hype and expectations that they’ve fallen short of in recent years. I think it’s been more like, “When will Florida get back to the success of the 90’s and 00’s?”

That hasn’t been my perception as a Gator fan, but maybe I have orange and blue glasses on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The media wants any SEC East team to be great. Seems like Georgia's been the hyped-up preseason team for a few years going now.

It was hard to hype Florida for a lot of years because they had a glaring offensive weakness. Like their offensive ranks going back to 2009:

code:
2019: 42nd

2018: 109th

2017: 116th

2016: 116th

2015: 112th

2014: 96th

2013: 115th

2012: 104th

2011: 105th

2010: 83rd

2009: 6th
Yeah, I ain't picking that team No. 1 in the East either! I don't remember many of these teams garnering much preseason hype for this reason.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The media wants any SEC East team to be great. Seems like Georgia's been the hyped-up preseason team for a few years going now.

It was hard to hype Florida for a lot of years because they had a glaring offensive weakness. Like their offensive ranks going back to 2009:

code:
2019: 42nd

2018: 109th

2017: 116th

2016: 116th

2015: 112th

2014: 96th

2013: 115th

2012: 104th

2011: 105th

2010: 83rd

2009: 6th
Yeah, I ain't picking that team No. 1 in the East either! I don't remember many of these teams garnering much preseason hype for this reason.
Minus 2019 I could be forgiving for thinking that was my teams defensive rankings.

How the hell is it even possible to be that bad on offense with florida talent. It's not like the east had any good teams during that stretch besides kirby's georgia.

Just out of curiosity what were the defensive rankings during that stretch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Minus 2019 I could be forgiving for thinking that was my teams defensive rankings.

How the hell is it even possible to be that bad on offense with florida talent. It's not like the east had any good teams during that stretch besides kirby's georgia.

Some of these were 10-win teams! But IIRC, those teams would have a lot of ugly-rear end clownball wins that just made everyone the next year go "Yeah...they'll be 3rd in the East."

Also weren't there some good S. Carolina and Mizzou teams in that stretch? The East was a dumpster fire and still ain't great but just talking pre-season media hype.

Defensive rankings:

code:
2019: 7th

2018: 20th

2017: 69th (nice)

2016: 6th

2015: 11th

2014: 19th

2013: 15th

2012: 5th

2011: 21st

2010: 29th

2009: 4th

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I get the Trask was HS backup,, but how did he not manage to beat out Franks in camp at least once

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think UGA’s defense is legit good enough to keep us hanging with anyone this year. Florida is looking better on offense, Bama is Bama, and Auburn is never predictable in terms of are they good or bad any given year, any given week.

I think this is probably Florida’s best shot to win the East if UGA can’t get their QB situation locked in.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I get the Trask was HS backup,, but how did he not manage to beat out Franks in camp at least once

basically injuries

2017 he was supposed to compete with Franks, but he broke his foot before the year started

2018 he was a year behind developmentally, but people started talking about how well he was playing in practice. Franks remained the starter because he was a highly touted redshirt sophomore. Trask broke his foot a few weeks into the season during a practice. Meanwhile, Franks showed some promise in his first year under Mullen.

2019 Franks was supposed to take the next big step under his second year playing for Mullen, but he got hurt and Trask took over.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

basically injuries

All this and also the fetishization of Franks’s big arm. He’s got a loving hose, as Tennessee found out, and had moments of stupid brilliance. But man, he is so maddeningly inconsistent he couldn’t put it together.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So how are the playoffs going to work with all the weirdness this year? Any indications given this far?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What happened to that other Tennesses QB? I saw that jared guarentano started for what appears to be the 47th year

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas is averaging 61 points per game and I am extremely loving here for it

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

seems like we hooked em folks

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

What happened to that other Tennesses QB? I saw that jared guarentano started for what appears to be the 47th year

Maurer’s still around I think, sophomore if I remember correctly. He got the hell beat out of him last season, but I can’t remember if any of it amounted to actual injuries.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rankings are a hilarious mess

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Oklahoma still being ranked is preposterous

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Seems especially dumb to insert the Big 10 and Pac 12 before they start playing again.

:lol: Kansas State also receiving votes. They've played two games and lost to Arkansas State in one of them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo, I wonder if this is the year when there's 5 undefeated P5 teams and someone gets left out of the playoffs. Gotta be more likely with the shortened seasons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

G-Hawk posted:

the rankings are a hilarious mess

yeah gators too low

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou lost by 19 to Bama but I feel fairly good after the game. The team should at least challenge to win 3 games this year imo

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
K-State gonna end the season in the Top 10 because we lost the least important game of the season and I'm here for it.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

ooo, I wonder if this is the year when there's 5 undefeated P5 teams and someone gets left out of the playoffs. Gotta be more likely with the shortened seasons.

in theory maybe but i have a hard time seeing texas make it through undefeated and idk whats going on in the pac12. itll probably just be clemson ohio st and 2 sec teams or some poo poo

its also funny because with very limited out of conference games the conference vs conference comparisons will be even thinner than usual

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

No place truly recruits itself, as Jim McElwain, and Clay Helton have proved.

Muschamp wanted to play classic Sabanball on offense but didn't recruit the OL needed to execute Sabanball, and Jeff Driskel's brain got broken. Jim McElwain started on the back foot because Muschamp forgot to recruit OL, and then he mismanaged his QB room.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

yeah gators too low

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

G-Hawk posted:

in theory maybe but i have a hard time seeing texas make it through undefeated

Baylor and Oklahoma State also have yet to lose.

I don't remember if the conferences are still planning to have conference championships. That always thins out the herd.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
DaWan Mathis wasn't the same after that uncalled targeting hit he took.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Strobe posted:

K-State gonna end the season in the Top 10 because we lost the least important game of the season and I'm here for it.

emaw bitch

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami has an offense!

Fsu is dead.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

G looked pretty good down the stretch and got out of his own head after the Bama game last year, so he was going to start regardless this year. He looked overall decent, made some good decisions and had a couple of bad overthrows or his stat line would have been better.

You’re either thinking of Maurer, who as has been said is a sophomore and is the backup. Or Bailey, who is the 5* kid who came in this year and has looked good in very few practices, he’s 3rd string for now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Baylor and Oklahoma State also have yet to lose.

I don't remember if the conferences are still planning to have conference championships. That always thins out the herd.

Everybody who typically has a CCG still has a CCG scheduled (at least among the P5)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

G looked pretty good down the stretch and got out of his own head after the Bama game last year, so he was going to start regardless this year. He looked overall decent, made some good decisions and had a couple of bad overthrows or his stat line would have been better.

You’re either thinking of Maurer, who as has been said is a sophomore and is the backup. Or Bailey, who is the 5* kid who came in this year and has looked good in very few practices, he’s 3rd string for now.

I mean Maurer. All I know is Eric Stokes folded him up way bad last year.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Why didn't anyone tell me Mizzou is the new Home Field Apparel school? Most of them kick total rear end https://www.homefieldapparel.com/collections/vintage-mizzou-apparel-store?rsc=107481

Also does anyone know if they re-print them if they sell out or should I buy a bunch now if I want a number of them?

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2020

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean Maurer. All I know is Eric Stokes folded him up way bad last year.

Ah yeah he got beat up pretty good last year but him not starting this year isn’t related to that.

It really highlights how tough G is, regardless of if he’s actually any good or not. That kid has got his rear end kicked every season and just never seems to get hurt. But every time Maurer went out last year it’s because he was taking hits G would have just shrugged off.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Didn't FSU do this in their playoff game? With Jameis?

edit: almost lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOs7HQgDI5E

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ah yeah he got beat up pretty good last year but him not starting this year isn’t related to that.

It really highlights how tough G is, regardless of if he’s actually any good or not. That kid has got his rear end kicked every season and just never seems to get hurt. But every time Maurer went out last year it’s because he was taking hits G would have just shrugged off.

I wonder is Maurer is actually decent or only good when compared to Guarantano?

He gets points from me by posing in a purple suit smoking a cigar and fanning 100$ bills like a loving Cash Money album cover.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Mike_V posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Mizzou is the new Home Field Apparel school? Most of them kick total rear end https://www.homefieldapparel.com/collections/vintage-mizzou-apparel-store?rsc=107481

Also does anyone know if they re-print them if they sell out or should I buy a bunch now if I want a number of them?

I'm pretty sure that they keep stuff in stock. Or print on demand. The Big New Saturday is just to build hype for the launch. Not limited time offerings. Unless they've changed their business model.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

I wonder is Maurer is actually decent or only good when compared to Guarantano?

He gets points from me by posing in a purple suit smoking a cigar and fanning 100$ bills like a loving Cash Money album cover.

I think it’s in comparison to what a train wreck G was last year. His stats are not great.

He played in 8 games last year - 35/75 541 yards, 2 TDs 5INTs

It was more “anything but Guarantano” but he kept getting hurt and G would come back in. After the Bama game G seemed to figure it out so he stuck. Maurer ended up with 2 concussions last year.

Maurer is a good kid though. He almost attempted suicide in January but didn’t and now he’s doing a lot of work for suicide prevention. He suffers from severe depression and anxiety and I’m sure the concussions didn’t help any.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1310611320782426113

Feeling relatively good about this one even still, if Georgia is gonna win think they need to run over our line in the first half, the secondary is good enough that I'm not super concerned about who the QB is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
my sources in lafeyette county are telling me that lane kiffin is out at ole miss this week. look for the announcement tomorrow morning