Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I’ve always had sleep problems but it’s only gotten worse lately. I have the most issues when it comes to getting to sleep, and also typically wake up at least once during a normal rest period to use the bathroom. I’m pretty sure most of my problems can be attributed to diet / weight, though I was told by my parents it was an issue even when I was a baby so who knows.

I find myself using sleep medication fairly frequently and it always tends to mess me up the following day. I also use earplugs and blackout curtains which I’ve found can help me out, especially living in a noisy apartment, though also wonder if they contribute to sleeping in more often than I should.

Out of curiosity for those who have gone through the process, how did you schedule a sleep study and how much did it cost you? I have some fairly minimal insurance so I’m sure it’d be out of pocket, but the idea is tempting if it could correct my issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Shima Honnou posted:

As far back as I can remember into childhood, even before I was school age, I've had issues falling asleep and staying asleep at night. I went through most of school on somewhere between 2 and 4 hours of sleep a day because it usually took me until 4 or 5 am to fall asleep, which resulted in me spending a lot of my class time getting poo poo done as fast as possible so I could spend the rest of the hour sleeping at my desk, though I have also fallen asleep in the hallways etc. I pretty much can't quiet my mind no matter how much I try poo poo like meditation or various "the military totally swears by it!" sleep bullshit so that's probably related. It's extreme enough that even going 24 hours or longer without sleep then trying to sleep at night doesn't really make a difference, I either will be unable to sleep despite being incredibly tired, or I'll get an hour or two and wake up feeling normal. It doesn't really matter how tired I am standing up or sitting down, once I lie down that stops immediately.

Man, falling asleep at school brings back bad memories for me. I remember I'd get this distinct feeling of failing to keep myself awake and typically run into a problem during at least one morning class. It served more as something to be chastised over rather than get anything looked at either.

I think one of the consistent things I can find about keeping myself awake is it's highly dependent on having something meaningful to do like go to the airport, work, or driving. It was always the moment that I'd need to sit down for a meeting or lecture that I'd get that sensation of drifting off. Weirdly I still can't manage to fall asleep in cars or planes, the only times it'd actually be useful.

legsarerequired posted:

There are a few kinds of sleep studies:

- snip -

This is really helpful info, I had assumed most of the studies involved a much more drawn out process, let alone having anything that worked at-home. My Dad had one done several years ago, ending up with a BPAP machine - while he was incredibly reluctant to use it he admitted it was the best level of sleep he'd had in memory.