Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've always slept poorly due to anxiety and sleep apnea, even as a kid, and it only got worse when I became a teenager and my night anxiety really kicked in and the apnea ramped up. I was very poor in high school and college so both went completely untreated, which, in retrospect, is totally insane to me because the amount of suffering I went through was extreme. I had agonizing headaches most days, I was almost always tired, and my general mental health was terrible, depressed and on-edge most of the time, and at night when I couldn't sleep I would spiral into violent panic attacks.

ACA meant I was able to access sleep therapy, and was given a CPAP, which literally changed my entire life overnight. The headaches went away, I could think clearly, and I could get through an entire day unfogged and energized. A couple years later, I moved to Canada, and one of the first things my doctor did was prescribe me Zoloft, which, with the CBT I'd been doing previously, lifted a huge amount of mental stress off my shoulders, mostly by giving me the ability to process my emotions before reacting to them. Now, if I can't sleep, it's more of an inconvenience. I can feel the irritation, but instead of exploding immediately into boiling rage, I can rationalize it and just get out of bed for a bit, or put on a chill youtube video, etc.

I think the primary collective effect of sleep therapy, mental therapy, and Zoloft is that I now have the mental wherewithal and actual physical energy to take better care of myself, which in turn allows for better sleep (and a better life). The amount of suffering people go through because they don't have access to these things is so loving sad. Over a decade of my life was arbitrarily handicapped by two health problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU