Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have Narcolepsy, which you might jokingly think means I sleep pretty well, but no, I frequently have awful insomnia, hypnogogic hallucinations, and hypnogogic jerks. When I get hypnic jerks, it's not one and done, I will get them continually, for hours at a time, sometimes minutes apart, sometimes seconds apart, while my brain angrily screams at me "hey, buddy you are gonna fall asleep right now" and then "lol, just kidding! Total alertness! But only for a second or two."

While I do not have cataplexy, I have fallen asleep in some very bad situations, leading to a few falls, and one time I fell asleep while pouring hot water into a cup for tea, and burned my hands.

I immediately dream, no matter how little I sleep. If I nod off on the bus, we might travel a block, but I would still have a dream. Usually the dream is just being on the bus but different people are sitting in different places.

I currently treat my disorder with armodafinil, which works wonders, but I wish I had it at the higher dose when I first started taking it, because one of the side effects was "mild euphoria", which is a pretty goddamn baller side effect.

I didn't get diagnosed until I was 30. Or thereabouts. I think symptoms started during my senior year of high school, which I cannot remember. I spent years being treated for depression, and taking medication, but nothing improved my mood like being treated for my disorder once it was found. It's frightening how much better my mind works now. I suddenly could remember things that I hadn't thought about in twenty years. Constant drowsiness made me dumb.

So like, get sleep studies if you have sleep problems. You might get help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU