Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm super jealous of people who can just fall asleep. I've gradually figured out that I'm just not very good at recognizing when I need to sleep - I can spend half a night tossing and turning, while other times I'll lie down for a rest after dinner thinking I'm totally awake and suddenly wake up 8 hours later, fully clothed.

Things that have helped me:
-Getting everything ready for bed ahead of time. If the urge to sleep comes, I'll drop everything and do it. If I have to get up to brush my teeth, I'll start doing something and stay awake for another couple hours.
-Cutting down on alchohol increased the quality of my sleep a hundredfold.
-Not working nights
-Reading books and articles that are only a little interesting. If it's a proper page turner, it'll keep me up.

Every couple weeks there's a night where or two where I just can't sleep. Anxiety probably, but there's only so much that can be done - life is never stress free.

Good luck OP!

E: Melatonin helps reset my sleep schedule, but it's very dose dependent. Usually half a pill is right, too much and my sleep cycle gets all screwy and I wake up/pass out like 10 times in a night. Seen the same result in friends, the dosage depends on body weight, I think.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU