Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I also have apnea, and in addition to what the other people in here are saying (CPAP greatly helps quality of sleep, etc.), if you are in America, I just want to warn you that even with insurance, sleep labs and CPAPs are not loving cheap. They're likely to make you first do a take-hope sleep evaluation that involves hooking yourself up to this crazy-rear end machine (if you have any, shave your body hair in the areas you attach the things to; the welts left by the tape lasted for loving days) that really just made me sleep much more poorly than I was used to, then had me do an in-lab sleep study (see above regarding shaving your body hair in the areas they attach to). I think all told it cost me in the realm of $1000-$1500 for the sleep studies, and another $120/month for the CPAP rental on top of that, plus supplies (my insurance is supposed to cover this, so I'm having to fight over it). Also, the company that supplies your CPAP will seem shady as gently caress; this is apparently perfectly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm also a natural night owl, and one of the things I truly love about my current job is that it's 9:30am-6:00pm. I wasn't 100% sure I was going to like it going into the job: I was worried about getting off work so late, but it was such a huge improvement in my quality of life over normal 8-5 or earlier jobs.

I've had two job interviews in the last week, and I'm a bit concerned about having to go back to an 8-5 shift, but I really need to make more money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't slept through the night in probably fifteen years. I can only imagine how much better my mental health and cognition would be if I'd been able to sleep properly all this time.
Get a sleeps study done, if you can afford it. It loving helps.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

honestly at this point, if my doctor told me i had to kill someone to get a good night's sleep, there'd be a body in the waiting room on my way out.

I grind my teeth at night and have a hypersensitive gag reflex, and at one point got a mouth guard. I tried it for a few days and woke up gagging so much I gave up on it. Dentist told me I was gonna have destroyed teeth in my 40s/50s (I was in my 20s at the time), and I told him "if you told me I was gonna die next week if I didn't wear this, my response would be 'I had a good run.'"

Not sleeping is the loving worst.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

got off on a technicality posted:

This was me. Stressful job leading to untreated acid reflux for years leading to hypersensitive gag reflex. Major tooth grinding from the stress

After years of ignoring my mouthguard my tooth sensitivity went through the roof. My dentist finally scared me into sticking with it. It sucked for 2 weeks but the gag reflex slowly got itself under control, and the mouthguard provided a cue to unconscious me to stop clenching & grinding. That led to better quality sleep, which improved the acid reflux as a bonus, and a reduction in stress. I now wear my mouth guard religiously. Please give it another shot and tough it out for the first few weeks. Trust me, it's worth it
Heh, I actually got some botox injections into my jaw a couple of weeks ago, instead. Shots were super easy, barely felt anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

To the people wishing they had more nightmares: You don't want that. You really don't.

I have them so much now. My theory is that most people have nightmares fairly frequently, they just don't remember them in the morning, like how you can sometimes remember a dream if you wake up in the middle of it but wouldn't have otherwise. But I sleep so lightly that I have vivid dreams and vivid nightmares and I'm constantly aware of them. Sounds cool, right? But it's not the cool kind of vivid dream or anything remotely lucid. It basically feels like instead of sleeping you get strapped to a chair in front of a movie screen and forced to watch some poo poo that is either incredibly tedious or pulls up every miserable insecurity you have, and you cannot stop watching or do anything about it. And when you wake up you feel about as rested as if you really had spent 6 of your 8 hours watching lovely, mind numbing movies that you hate.

Like, "vivid dreams all the time" sounds really awesome until it's just, like, someone yelling at you while it's flooding outside and you have to pick up all your belongings from the shed before they get permanently ruined, with all the stress slash banality that entails. That's my average "vivid dream".

I wake up crying a lot, either from another nightmare or the frustration of sleeping like poo poo yet again. The sleep doctors shrugged and said "your test results looked super normal though! on paper you sleep great!" hahaha :suicide:

I really don't know what to do anymore. I have a followup with my sleep doctor in a few weeks, half-expecting to get a big shrug and "we can't help you anymore".
There are anti-nightmare drugs out there. One of my friends was on them for awhile. If the doctor doesn't mention it in the followup, ask.