Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

technotronic
Sep 7, 2014
For years I was blessed with being able to sleep anytime, anywhere, as long as you leave me in peace and quiet for a while. Sometimes that included public transport or dentist's chair. I'd sleep 8 hours a night, and if I had to wake up early, I'd have a 30 minute nap in the afternoon.

Then I got a kid and I he started calling the shots. Still, I would sleep 8 hours in the off chance if I was given the opportunity.

Then, a few months ago, I started getting insomnia. I'd go to bed at midnight and wake up at 5 or 6 and couldn't sleep, even if the kid was still sleeping peacefully. It progressed, I'd wake up at 3 or 4. Sometimes I'd manage to fall asleep again, more often not. I was stressing out about it, which made it even worse. I'd go to bed worried that I won't sleep. I kept waking up earlier and earlier, to the low point when one night I couldn't fall asleep at all. We happened to have xanax at home (for the dog) so I took it that one time but normally I stick to bromazepam, which I take occasionally and in low doses. There are a lot of addicts in my family so I'm extra careful with medicine that can cause it. I find that if I wake up at night, bromazepam won't put me back to sleep, but if I take it before going to bed, my sleep will be sounder.

The worst period is thankfully over and these days I sleep 5-6 hours at night and 15-20 minutes during the day. It looks like it's my new normal. Some issues persist. My sleep is disconnected from my need to sleep -- I don't sleep any better after a hard day's work than after an easy day. Also I often can't tell if I slept at all. I'll look at the time and see only 5 minutes passed, or maybe 90 minutes -- I can't feel the difference.

I spoke with some friends and turns out most of them have sleep problems. Goons, how much do you sleep, and do you think you need more?

tl;dr
Man rambles about his sleep patterns and wants to poll other users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU