Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I've always done fairly well at falling asleep.

With the birth of our child 5 years ago, I changed my sleeping habits from around 12-7am to match his waking time (between 5-6am) which was roughly going to bed between 9-9:30pm which I've maintained since. Despite him sleeping more reliably toward 6:00am these days, years of getting up at 5am for him "trained" the loving cats to pester me so I still get up at that time to feed them them.

During the week I have to start doing morning work/daycare stuff at 6am, so I just stay up after feeding the cats. This eventually catches up with me and after putting our child down at 8:30, I'd say there's a 50% chance I'll be tired enough to just go to our bedroom and turn in for the night. On the weekends getting another hour or so before child wakes up is becoming more reliable.

Also on weekends I LOVE to nap. I feel refreshed (like I'm actually doing something important to recharge myself on my day off) and it's not even a big time commitment. Its rare for my body to allow me to sleep more than an hour, so if I can get in a nap on each day off, I feel fantastic.

The biggest problems that affect me are some kind of stress about work or a project that of course, affect me after waking up for a 3am pee.

One thing that has seemed to help in the past year, despite increased work stress, is drinking water (around 8 oz cup we keep in the bathroom) before I go to bed and after I pee. In 47 years, I've never done this before, but I feel like something about being better hydrated must play a role in staving off that "3am and your brain is UP" poo poo. I swear I can feel my body absorbing it and feeling a relief I never quite knew it needed.

Finally, if I'm tired, I'm loving tired and no amount of TV, light, or even caffeine from coffee will keep me awake. If I allow myself to get invested/interested in TV/browsing/something I can stay up beyond my normal bedtime, but I seem to have developed a remarkable way of controlling that which I take for granted that many others don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LimaBiker posted:

In short: if i fall asleep, i sleep great. But falling asleep is not something that happens easily to me unless it's well past midnight.

I always fall asleep easily when it's 02.00 or 03.00 at night. Great! And i'll wake up well rested 9 hours later.
I'm always tinkering with my diet. On a recent jag where I stopped drinking coffee at noon and stopped eating after dinner (7pm) I noticed that if I stop doing either of those, my sleep would go to poo poo with the "wake up at 2sm" bullshit.

I also have been drinking more water during the night (before bed, pee breaks) and I feel like that has also improved my sleep.