Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I have central congenital hyopventilation syndrome, a severe and rare form of sleep apnea. In layman's terms, the part of the brain that basically makes breathing automatic for most people is a manual process for me. So I chronically underbeath. If I go to sleep without my Bipap, or am knocked unconscious or pass out, that could be a deadly situation for me.

While there are many forms of sleep apnea and some people with it can sleep some nights without their vent, or that it only assists them in breathing, for me, the machine breathes for me at night.

That said, I am relatively healthy otherwise and I've always slept really well except for the past year or so.

About a year and a half ago, my vent settings (unbeknownst to me, at least I don't believe this was clearly communicated to me by my doctor) were adjusted below what they historically had been around the time I got a new Bipap. And I started to sleep in. At one point I bought it up to my doctor and he said sometimes people adjust sleep patterns as they age but to let him know if anything further develops. A few months later I start feeling fatigued during the day and am even dosing off at my desk, something I never used to do. I kind of write it off as just not getting enough sleep...at some point, I start bloating up from water weight and my wife purchased an oximeter, and my oxygen levels were in the loving 60s.

Trip to the ER, they give me diuretics for water weight and oxygen. Bipap settings adjusted back to historic rates, and I'm still on night time oxygen but hope to be back off that soon enough, and I'm back to waking up early much to my wife's disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU