Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
for my entire life (im 33) ive been a light switch. go to bed, out within 5-10 minutes every night. my problem is that often i wanna sleep for 10 or 12 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've had low quality sleep for as long as I can remember. I average 7.5 hours every night, but often find myself at least a little foggy during the day. It's quite the vicious cycle: poor sleep leads to struggling during the day leads to stress leads to poor sleep.

Part of it may be that I can have difficulty getting to sleep because bedtime is basically my brain's time to de-stress with long-form day dreaming, which sometimes just pushes me quickly and smoothly toward sleep and other times leaves me amped up for a couple hours. I guess I could try finding some other time in the day for it and actually attempt to "turn off my mind" like folks apparently do, but it's not so simple as there just isn't a whole lot of other time in the day to just let my mind roam free for such a length of time. My brain wants sleep, but it wants the time to day dream more.

There are only two things that have reliably eliminate this. The first is international travel, which I imagine leaves me too exhausted to do anything but sleep and breaks the habit for a couple of weeks. The second is having a partner spend the night, which, even if we're not getting up to anything, results in rapid and sound sleep. The first isn't really a solution. The second hasn't been available for some time and, until covid's been overcome, won't be until at least late summer.

Tangentially related: I haven't had a proper nightmare in at least eight years and I feel like I'm missing out. The last "holy poo poo, this is terrifying" one I had, my brain inexplicably chose fight over flight and completely turned the dream upside down in the most exquisitely satisfying way. Ever since, whenever there are hints of unease or fear in a dream, my mind just "nope"s right out and stomps it out.

i get nightmares every couple of months and they’re cool. wish they were a bit more frequent along with dreams in general