Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Vinicius is a moron but no one deserves this.

It has been happening occasionally for decades, ask Eto'o.

Ya Eto is the one I remember from back in the day. I just meant in the 90s if you were black and played in Spain or Italy it must have been hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ulio posted:

Ya Eto is the one I remember from back in the day. I just meant in the 90s if you were black and played in Spain or Italy it must have been hell.

It also happened to non-blacks, like Roberto Carlos or Alves. Race has always been the easiest and most obvious way to provoke or attack some player/team, however other means were used like threats and intimidation (Mijatovic), actual violence, or even celebrating and ridiculing someone's death (Juanito, Antonio Puerta), and that's just the tip. The thing is in the 80s and 90s, the organized radical fans groups (call it hooligans, 'Ultras', whatever) were at their peak, so this kind of poo poo happened more frequently, and there was a sensation of impunity due to the clubs (almost no exceptions) actually protecting these groups, until at some point they stopped making excuses and started to do something although some did more than others. Obviously it keeps happening occasionally.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

It also happened to non-blacks, like Roberto Carlos or Alves. Race has always been the easiest and most obvious way to provoke or attack some player/team, however other means were used like threats and intimidation (Mijatovic), actual violence, or even celebrating and ridiculing someone's death (Juanito, Antonio Puerta), and that's just the tip. The thing is in the 80s and 90s, the organized radical fans groups (call it hooligans, 'Ultras', whatever) were at their peak, so this kind of poo poo happened more frequently, and there was a sensation of impunity due to the clubs (almost no exceptions) actually protecting these groups, until at some point they stopped making excuses and started to do something although some did more than others. Obviously it keeps happening occasionally.

NINE formal complaints in the past two seasons regarding ONE player being targeted.

Occasionally.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Shrapnig posted:

NINE formal complaints in the past two seasons regarding ONE player being targeted.

Occasionally.

And it will keep happening regarding that one player because it's effective. The league should close down all the stadiums where this crap happens, no exceptions, fines have never done jack poo poo.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
As I said elsewhere, while they shouldn’t have to, it’s too bad that no team (especially one as prominent as Real Madrid or Barça) has collectively said “if one of our players is abused, we will walk off and abandon the match, no matter the consequences.”

I get they’re all pampered millionaire footballers who mostly live in a bubble of sycophancy but when your loving teammate is dealing with this every match (and once is obviously too many times) and even moreso because the lovely racist fans know it is bothering him, I would hope there would be some courage and leadership in the changing room to say “we have to stop this and find a way to shine a light on this backwards culture of blatant and aggressive racism.”

Without any sort of real pressure or repercussions, whether that’s embarrassment like prominent players refusing to play and/or financial, Tebas, the league, and the clubs will refuse to do anything of substance and continue their whataboutism of “if you don’t like being racially insulted, maybe you shouldn’t be so sensitive about it.”

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Saw a story on the BBC today which was a bit of an eye-opener:

quote:

La Liga will request "more sanctioning powers" so it can punish incidents of racism in Spanish football.

Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr has been the target of racist abuse multiple times this season.

The Spanish league's handling of the latest incident at Valencia on Sunday has received widespread condemnation.

Under Spanish law, La Liga can currently only identify and report cases but not impose sanctions, making it feel "powerless".

It added it feels "tremendous frustration" at the lack of sanctions and convictions by the authorities to which it reports.

Police in Spain said on Tuesday three people had been arrested for "racist behaviour" during Sunday's match. Police had earlier said they had detained four people suspected of hanging an effigy of Vinicius from a bridge in Madrid earlier this year.

La Liga will make a formal request to the Spanish government that two laws are amended to give it authority to impose sanctions such as the total or partial closure of stadiums, bans for supporters and financial penalties.

Doesn’t excuse the victim-blaming in Tebas’s comments but, yeah, those are definitely powers the league should have if they’re to respond properly to these incidents.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spain was also home to that infamous Lewis Hamilton photo

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Angry Lobster posted:

Vinicius is a moron but no one deserves this.

Did I miss something? What did he do?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Spain was also home to that infamous Lewis Hamilton photo

And the basketball team taking a promotional team photo with players pulling their eyes to "appear" Chinese.

I agree that the teams should just walk off. Felt like Ancelotti was almost there. Even that gently caress Lucas Vasquez was outraged. Seeing people online critical of captain Benzema for not doing more...altho unsure how easy it is to blackmail random fans.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/FootyAccums/status/1661710324830195712

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I mean Lazio ultras are terrible now, can you imagine them in the 90s lol.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Just so I’m clear - am I reading that right that they’re protesting the match because of Vini Jr reacting to racist abuse and reacting, received a red card that was overturned, NOT that he was targeted and insulted?

Because if so, loving hell

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sticksy posted:

Just so I’m clear - am I reading that right that they’re protesting the match because of Vini Jr reacting to racist abuse and reacting, received a red card that was overturned, NOT that he was targeted and insulted?

Welcome to Spain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sticksy posted:

don't forget that he was being strangled before lashing out on top of the racist abuse

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jose posted:

don't forget that he was being strangled before lashing out on top of the racist abuse

Lol, you forget a ball boy threw in an extra ball and then the Valencia used that ball to clear Vini dribbling into the box. Also for those that didn't watch the game, the whole near side was full of rubbish that Valencia fans had been throwing all game. Pre game they had their monkey chants when RM bus came into the stadium. It was a complete poo poo show. I am also wondering if they did this last season because these fans were hardcore targeting Vinicius.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
On the other hand the Spanish eat tapas and have dinner at midnight and are therefore very cool.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ulio posted:

I mean Lazio ultras are terrible now, can you imagine them in the 90s lol.

They were so much worse because it wasn't just a bunch of limp dicked internet morons then, it was real criminal maniacs.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/1662458254272741377?s=20

La Liga creating designated zones for racists?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No, they're saying that if the entire stadium is white there won't be any racism.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Was wondering if anyone seen Sevilla matches, how will they do vs Roma possibly parking the bus tomorrow in the EL finals.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Roma is going to bury them under that bus.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

hon hon hon
valencia won't go down :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Can’t believe nobody posted the new league logo

https://twitter.com/LaLiga/status/1665478541784363008

It looks like someone got lazy making Iron Front arrows.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
that's worse in every conceivable way. hope warrior sues. its the new poo poo juventus badge backwards. etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The old one with the rainbow was better

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's with sport brands copying tech style minimalistic design? Like the Juve redesign is the worst.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They heard some hype about esports teams and decided that they need to be branded like one.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Thanks Ants posted:

The old one with the rainbow was better

Tebas probably felt it was too gay

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/totalBarca/status/1682647755943190531

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

the curse of the bald

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rayo boys kicking rear end and by kicking rear end I mean Almeria stepping on their own dicks and committing multiple penalties.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Have high hopes for Sevilla, under Mendilibar they had won of the best records in the league.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Real starting without Kroos or Modric, I wonder if this will be their default lineup.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The new score bug is stupid and also distracting. Either choose the logo for the club or the three-letter code, don't switch between the two!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder how long till Vinicius racism occurs this season.

Good debut for Jude, tchouameni + camavinga midfield looks more energetic. I still think no world class striker will hurt them.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 12, 2023

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
:wtc: is happening in barca vs getafe

raphinha sprinting ten yards and literally pushing one of his own players out of the way to elbow someone in the back of the head

all of getafes coaching staff running onthe field while the game is still in play and not one of them getting a booking

barca catching the ball two minutes later and not getting a yellow

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

raphinha sprinting ten yards and literally pushing one of his own players out of the way to elbow someone in the back of the head

I miss him

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Barca looking very dull and rusty.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
awesome second yellow tackle

otoh with this ref it was worth a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU