Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Chrs posted:

Thanks this is really useful. I'm currently drawing objects for my game and in my game the enemies can one-hit kill you, so I wanted to make sure the player was always confident that they could collect the power ups the first time they encounter them. I'll post what I have soon.

Fruit and things like that seem to be a common theme so maybe I go with something like that
You're welcome! I firmly believe that the answer to all gamedev questions lies somewhere between "do something original" and "copy donkey kong country 2"
Looking forward to seeing the game!

albany academy posted:

when covid first hit i was talking to an old friend about starting to make a game and we talked about godot a bunch, it seems cool. glad to know i have someone i can bug with godot-related questions :evilbuddy:
Yay! I know godot is sometimes criticized as having released fewer successful commercial games than Unity, but using Godot is just so much more fun than using Unity imo. Anyway, there's a godot-specific game jam that starts tomorrow, if you're interested. I'm not gonna participate myself, since I'll be pretty busy this time around, but you can do it!

nut posted:

can i make a game that is just writing its the only thing i can do
Hey, don't be all "It's the only thing I can do." Writing is really really important in games! Even if the game doesn't even have any words, the developers probably spent a significant amount of time writing storyboards and things like that. Good writing can absolutely make a bad game into a good one. (No one plays Planescape Torment for the combat, I can tell you that much.) Good writing is CRUCIAL for any type of game I wanna play, OR make.

Anyway, you can certainly make a game in twine. OR you can team up with a developer to make whatever your heart desires!

Incidentally: you, along with Khanstant, are at the top of my list for creative people I'd love to make a game for; one of you would be creative director, and I would do my best to design fun gameplay mechanics based on your vision. In fact, I really want to set aside like 15 days for byob to make a game, all together, but I'll be busy for the next 2 weekends. Maybe after that!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Luvcow posted:

my ancient browser doesn't support the game :(
I've added downloads for mac and windows, if you're interested! Though you certainly don't have to play it or nothin'
E: I haven't tested these downloads, so idk if they'll work for anyone
https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/reset-hooligans

nut posted:

this morning i was streaming some summer of screams ps1 haunted game jam (horror designed to look ps1-era) games to a friend on discord and I just wanted to recommend Death Flush, a game about being too scared to go pee. It is a bit scary and there's part of it that's kinda tricky but it's very funny and thorough for being made in a month

https://itch.io/jam/haunted-ps1-summer-spooks/rate/746496
this was real good. Thanks for the recommendation!

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 8, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would it be all right if i were to use this thread as a way to keep myself accountable? because here's what i'm trying to do:

it's not a video game per se that i'm trying to make so much as a control program for a game idea of mine. think outburst with chess clocks and some a/v elements mixed in. right answers adds time to your clock as it counts down during your turn. you can stop at any time, but answers left unsaid give your opponents a chance to run their clocks. final round has two players facing off with the time they earned, but right answers take time away from their opponent's clock. last one standing wins.

so far, i've actually managed to write the questions for one game (and ideally aiming to do at least four games' worth), and what time i didn't spend today chasing down passport forms was spent on gathering some of those a/v elements.

soon i'm going to run out of excuses and actually have to start building poo poo, and i'd really like to actually finish a personal project for once in my life.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 9, 2020

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blaise rascal

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

would it be all right if i were to use this thread as a way to keep myself accountable?
Certainly, we can help keep you accountable! I think, based on what you’re saying, it might be beneficial for you to think of the concept of a “minimum crappy playable” as described in this gdc talk around 14:10 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-x9NSBS2Y
Best of luck on this very cool concept!

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blaise rascal posted:

Certainly, we can help keep you accountable! I think, based on what you’re saying, it might be beneficial for you to think of the concept of a “minimum crappy playable” as described in this gdc talk around 14:10 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-x9NSBS2Y

that's exactly what i need to do -- just get the barest of essentials going (e.g. coding three clocks + the ability to add time to each one) and build on it from there.

sounds like a plan.

----------------

sb hermit

blaise rascal posted:

with time code, for the lazy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-x9NSBS2Y&t=851

Cockashocka

Bubble brother

Here's something I did in ai dungeon which I posted in the byob discord
https://aidungeon.page.link/?link=h...&isi=1491268416

If that doesn't work, just search for doom house on the ai dungeon app/website or something

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
times like these i am reminded of the carl sagan quote: "if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

now to start figuring out how to make the clock start counting down...

----------------

blaise rascal

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

times like these i am reminded of the carl sagan quote: "if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

now to start figuring out how to make the clock start counting down...
:hellyeah:
I recommend making a "Timer" node. https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/getting_started/step_by_step/your_first_game.html Specifically, you'll want to copy everything on this page related to "ScoreTimer" and "ScoreLabel." Let me know if you have issues!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, I'd like to play devil's advocate a second, and discuss one reason that people criticize Godot. As it turns out, there have NOT been a ton of well-known commercial games shipped with Godot. Especially not compared to something like Unity. One possible reason for this is the fact that Godot is newer, but another possible explanation is that Godot does not have great performance. In my opinion, a game made in both Godot and Unity will have longer loading times in Godot. Even though I find Unity a lot harder than Godot, it remanins the industry standard.

But the good news is that version 4.0 of Godot is in the works, and it will have a whole new, more powerful renderer, which should improve performance dramatically! In fact, that's the main new feature of the 4.0 update. I'm not sure exactly when this version will be released! But it will be great!

Chrs

done some more on my game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jheci5ZEQ

the game has some sound now but the screen recorder I used doesn't seem to pick it up

nut

drat did you make all the textures of the floors and especially those trees? I am a huge fan

Chrs

nut posted:

drat did you make all the textures of the floors and especially those trees? I am a huge fan

I should clarify that I can’t take credit for the trees. the trees I got from iStock because I had credits left over from work. everything else is me though

nut

Chrs posted:

I should clarify that I can’t take credit for the trees. the trees I got from iStock because I had credits left over from work. everything else is me though

the other patterns are so good that I bet u could make those trees. even better trees if u wanted, I reckon

Chrs

I’m in no rush to release my game so I’ll probably spend a long time tinkering with it. I might end up drawing my own trees as you say :)

blaise rascal

Chrs posted:

done some more on my game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jheci5ZEQ

the game has some sound now but the screen recorder I used doesn't seem to pick it up
looking really good! the main mechanic reminds me of the feather from celeste. which is a very good thing! that feather is awesome! i bet your game feels really good to play. and i bet it would control well on mobile, if you ever felt like bothering with that.

what do the red pentagons do? and the yellow down arrow?

Chrs

blaise rascal posted:

looking really good! the main mechanic reminds me of the feather from celeste. which is a very good thing! that feather is awesome! i bet your game feels really good to play. and i bet it would control well on mobile, if you ever felt like bothering with that.

what do the red pentagons do? and the yellow down arrow?

Thanks!

The red pentagons are a place holder graphic for an enemy. I actually have the enemy graphic in now. The yellow down arrow shrinks you so that you can go through tight tunnels and later there will be an up arrow which makes you bigger and allows you to break through rocks you couldn't when you were small.

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

Apparently spicy bean adventure had all its images deleted :(
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713132

here is what I could recover (luvcow I'll take this down if you'd rather not have it available), not in any real order:

fanart:

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

here is what I could recover (luvcow I'll take this down if you'd rather not have it available), not in any real order:

fanart:

HELL YEAH that's the good stuff!! Thanks for your effort! And yeah, if luvcow wants these images removed we'll remove them

blaise rascal

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/messed-up-constellation-thing
I was trying to make a scrolling star background where constellations got drawn in the sky. I messed up the code, but I think this particular mess up looks really cool

I hope to post the finished, working version momentarily

blaise rascal

Okay, here's the ACTUAL FINAL version of my space background. https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/bread-sky

Making it was a bit of a messy process due to the fact that I needed to infinitely scroll everything, but I didn't want to have an unbounded number of drawings (as in, the drawings needed to be recycled after they exited to the right).

I ended up defining the constellation's path with a Path2D node, and then moving along that path at a steady rate and adding a point to the white line at every frame. Then when the drawing was out of the frame (as defined by looking at its modulus'd location) it got deleted - and when it was near the left side of the window, it'd get the signal to start drawing again

The endlessly scrolling stars are ParallaxLayers with the sprites imported with "repeat" set to "on"

The galaxies use a particle system

All in all, this was a very educational project for me! I definitely think I could have used AnimationPlayer more heavily for this, though I'm not sure if that would have caused issues with the repeating background not tiling correctly.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

fanart:

this is awesome ty :) i knew i could find some of them online still but that may be the majority of the pics. as for my current one it's going to be derailed for at least a couple days because life just went to poo poo and i'm packing up whatever i can and moving from the house i've lived in for the past 8 years.

blaise rascal

Luvcow posted:

this is awesome ty :) i knew i could find some of them online still but that may be the majority of the pics. as for my current one it's going to be derailed for at least a couple days because life just went to poo poo and i'm packing up whatever i can and moving from the house i've lived in for the past 8 years.
Oh no!! 😢
If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know! You are a valued member of this community, and you’ll always be my quilt square pal. We in byob want to support you if we can!

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

:( very sorry to hear that friend, as blaise said, let us know if there's anything we can do.

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

just updated the OP with bfm's xygote game, and byob's collective egg-game project! wow!

let me know if i've missed some other byob games that deserve a shout-out in this thread. it's been fun to curate this list

blaise rascal

oh yeah, I added the byob puzzle quest as well

nut

someday id like 2 make a video game about fishing with ur friends

blaise rascal

nut posted:

someday id like 2 make a video game about fishing with ur friends
I hope you do! So would it be a multiplayer game then?

nut

blaise rascal posted:

I hope you do! So would it be a multiplayer game then?

ya it'd b an arcade installation with a giant fishing pole controller that's mostly a lever attached at the bottom and the game owuld be called BIG CARL'S DOCK MONSTAHZ and there's just one fishing pole but ur casting it off of a marina in Florida and the fish u can catch are so big that the resistance in the lever to be moved to fight the fish is so great that you need multiple human body weights leaning on it and so u have to play it with friends

blaise rascal

nut posted:

ya it'd b an arcade installation with a giant fishing pole controller that's mostly a lever attached at the bottom and the game owuld be called BIG CARL'S DOCK MONSTAHZ and there's just one fishing pole but ur casting it off of a marina in Florida and the fish u can catch are so big that the resistance in the lever to be moved to fight the fish is so great that you need multiple human body weights leaning on it and so u have to play it with friends
lol. I actually think that developing games with arcade cabinets as the main target platform is an interesting option. Like, the USA has a lot of "barcades" (bars with many arcade cabinets). The vast majority of these cabinets will contain classic games like Street Fighter and Pac Man, but the few cabinets featuring brand new games usually seem to draw crowds:

Death Ball and Killer Queen are two examples of modern games designed for the barcade scene. Killer Queen started as an arcade cabinet exclusive but now has a steam version; and Death Ball is still only available in arcade cabinet form. Like, the demand for new arcade cabinet games is low (compared with, say, the demand for steam games) but the supply is also quite low, so maybe it counts as a niche? (this all assumes that bars will eventually reopen for full business someday.)

I don't know how much this fishing game idea would resonate with the barcade scene but I do know that I personally would play the hell out of it

blaise rascal

Also, shout out to killer queen's extremely byob color palette

Allie

sincerepost:

Watch Dogs: Legion had an excellent tutorial/intro level. Chef’s kiss level gameplay design.

more falafel please

forums poster

killer queen rules a lot, my work has a machine

the steam/switch version is inspired by KQ but it's different enough that I think you have to call them distinct games. still fun though

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

nut

it'd also be funny to make an arcade cabinet that requires like 12 people to control something at once but isn't any larger than a normal cabinet so even if 6 people try to do double duty it's not comfortable of course not in the age of covid

more falafel please

forums poster

nut posted:

it'd also be funny to make an arcade cabinet that requires like 12 people to control something at once but isn't any larger than a normal cabinet so even if 6 people try to do double duty it's not comfortable of course not in the age of covid

killer queen is already a great way to find out which one of your friends didn't shower today

nut

ooo what is it?

blaise rascal

nut posted:

ooo what is it?
5v5 arcade game! (we've been chatting about it a bit in this thread)

I'm jealous of more falafel please having it in their workplace...

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah the game itself is kind of like joust with additional strategy, platforming, and team mechanics

each team has a queen and 4 drones, the queen can fly (joust style) and kill other players (also joust style). the drones can upgrade themselves to be warriors that can also fly and kill, but not quite as powerful as the queen. drones can also take berries from caches in the level and fill up their teams hive, or ride a giant snail-god towards their teams goal. you win by either military (kill the opposing queen 3x), economy (get 12 berries) or snail (snail)

the real thing is since you need 10 people to play, communities crop up around it. most arcades that have it host a league night, and there's tournaments regularly as well. my friends who play would go to different cities and crash on couches to play killer queen like once a month

blaise rascal

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54985971
I doubt I'll ever develop with ios as my main target platform, but it's cool to hear that apple is making its cut be 15% instead of 30% going forward.

more falafel please posted:

yeah the game itself is kind of like joust with additional strategy, platforming, and team mechanics

each team has a queen and 4 drones, the queen can fly (joust style) and kill other players (also joust style). the drones can upgrade themselves to be warriors that can also fly and kill, but not quite as powerful as the queen. drones can also take berries from caches in the level and fill up their teams hive, or ride a giant snail-god towards their teams goal. you win by either military (kill the opposing queen 3x), economy (get 12 berries) or snail (snail)

the real thing is since you need 10 people to play, communities crop up around it. most arcades that have it host a league night, and there's tournaments regularly as well. my friends who play would go to different cities and crash on couches to play killer queen like once a month
I find the community behind that game very interesting and cool! I've never really heard of a game bringing people from different cities together like this.

blaise rascal

https://itch.io/jam/godot-wild-jam-29
The next godot wild jam is here. This time the theme is "nomad". I may do something for this, though I dunno if it will be another big project including all of byob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs

https://chrsgr.itch.io/escapedash

I finally published a game guys