Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really wonder what are the forces at work stoking the fire of this conflict, there’s no way a guy like Aliyev would think he can start poo poo without getting some form of guarantee... what’s the bigger picture here.... there’s no way this whole thing is just about some tiny strip of nowhere land no one gives a poo poo about.... was there some form of gas reserves discovered? Trouble domestic events happening in Azerbaijan so Aliyev had to lash out to distract people?! I wonder...

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

The gas deposits are in the Med, and that's why Greece and Turkey have been more confrontational than normal recently

Well yes I know I’m just wondering what’s causing this conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia and their respective backers

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Seeing Geert Wilders, Serj Tankian and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on the same side of a controversial issue is a bit of a mindfuck - not gonna lie.

Not really, Geert Wilders and the government of Saudi Arabia hate muslims in general so it's normal.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Sep 28, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I like how we're barely a day into a conflict nobody knows anything about in a part of the world no one cares about but already the same pre-packaged positions of people who already hate so and so and love so and so are already being transferred over.

Honestly after looking at everything I dont support either side in this, I cant cheer for armenia because they're backed by russia, crazed christian nationalists and arab fascism, and I cant support azerbaijan because they're allies with Israel and it seems like they're the ones who started this. so whatever.

I loving hate conflicts in the social media age because for all intents and purposes you might as well know nothing.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 06:09 on Sep 28, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fizzil posted:

This is disheartening to hear, as a barely posting muslim stripping the politics away and ignoring the assholes on twitter on both sides Armenia would still have just cause. Also gonna sound like a butt by bringing up religion but there is a profound hadith on stopping other muslims from doing oppression, so it doesn't sit well with me when these folks have been devastated barely within living memory to see them get shat on once again. I would hope the general muslim attitude on the internet stop getting played by the media but :shrug:

Well yeah I guess if we strip out everything in the end Armenia wasn’t the one who started this so they’re in the right. I honestly hate the Azerbaijan government and I don’t care at all that they’re Muslims theyre a lovely dictatorship that’s allied with Israel so they can just gently caress right off lol.

The amount of trolling online though is really insane I truly don’t understand what’s the point of what Azerbaijan and their backers are trying to accomplish, do they even have military objectives?!

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Sep 28, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Actually the USSR in 1945 was Georgia at its full might

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok so I decided to do my basic research, I though the disputed territory would be tiny but it looks like a fairly hefty chunk of land about a third the size of Armenia, apparently it’s internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but it declared it’s own Independence in 1991 and is mainly Armenian population. Lol talk about a wierd situation.

Does Azerbaijan even have army large enough to take and hold that much territory?!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whorelord posted:

the stalin museum at his birthplace in gori is a trip let me tell you. the guided tour just lists basic facts about stalin's life before hastily adding on "oh yeah also tens of thousands of people died, now do wanna see the stuff he got sent for his birthday?"

One of my favourite pieces of trivia about stalin was that apparently he was an extremely talented singer who had a voice of gold in his youth.

Vasukhani posted:

only russia has those

Not really Mig-29s are quite prolifically available around the world.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Sep 28, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Shells landing in Armenia proper now. This would be able to trigger CSTO.

What’s CSTO?

Also can someone please point out some sources I can track this war with that’s not a bunch of biased troll farm bullshit? At this point according to both sides there have been more tanks destroyed than the Battle of Pokharovka

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So as it stands who has the bigger military dick here? It’s probably Azerbaijan what with their deals with Israel/Turkey? I mean barring any Russian intervention do they have enough stuff to fight back against Azerbaijan?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I love how 2020 makes this guys Twitter seem like the most normal down to earth poo poo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My actual favourite is when he actually followed the twitter accounts of one of the hosts of Chapo Trap House and actively follows american college football.

I mean strip away his policies, general political views and record as president and he seems like a really chill guy.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Ahmadinejad's Twitter has been used mainly for generic woke poo poo for the past few years, and it is one of the most truly baffling political retirement stories (also probably not him tweeting most of this stuff).

Oh it's absolutely him posting. he even responded to Virgil Texas from Chapo trap house and followed him.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Sep 29, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

literally the Caucasus powderkeg holy poo poo

well, at least if this poo poo touches off we can all die lolling

If russia directly intervening in Syria didnt blow up the world you can rest easy that this Caucus business will stay there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

who the gently caress would have the balls to think they can get away with attacking Armenians in Los Angeles of all places?! Glenndale has more armenians than armenia!!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So how many thousands of tanks got destroyed today? My twitter count is now at 5,000.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta say this new trend of militaries putting out snuff films of their drones bombing people is pretty disgusting

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm surprised Azerbaijan hasnt actually, you know, captured land yet considering they're the ones who had the initiative by starting this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Hopefully those mountains chew through a decent amount of Salafists who have decided to take a vacation from sawing off shia heads so they can kill christians for a bit. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Azerbaijan is Shiite so going by your metrics you ought to be hooting and hollering for them to win.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Man, I loving hate the 21st century, it’s going to absolutely suck big time. I think we’re actually going to see a return to nation-nation conflict now that the world is going multipolar and now that oil and gas pipelines are gonna be a big issue in the coming years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

its a marketing opportunity, Aeronautics, Limited previously bombed Armenia before as part of a sales demo

Israelis only start to show a conscience when their victims arent filthy arab untermenchen. I wonder how many of those employees gave a poo poo when they bombed palestinians.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So like does anyone have any idea what the state of things are and who's 'Winning'?

So far it seems like the Azeris have the run of the skies and are bombing the poo poo out of Armenian forces but havent bothered to try and do an actual invasion to sieze territory....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Turkey sending jihadists into other countries was one of the things that China was worried about with respect to Uighur extremism

I assume your saying that Therefore it’s ok to shove all the uighurs into concentration camps and systematically destroy their religion, culture, mosques, etc. and subjecting them to surveillance and extreme oppression.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I love farcical attempts at propaganda like this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Iran comes out on the side of AzerBaijan:-

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1313788526719311872?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, Azerbaijan both Militarily and Legally speaking are in a very strong position, there's not much Armenia can do because legally speaking Azerbaijan has the rightful claim to the land.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sorry fellas, I gotta side with the Pogo Stick Janissaries on this one.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pretty stupid of armenia considering how outgunned and not super strongly backed diplomatically they are.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7008746,46.3671027,227m/data=!3m1!1e3

seems to be its location, arent scuds supposed to be accurate

lol no scuds are terribly not accurate at all. They're unguided missiles.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the SCUD-D is the one that's actually semi-accurate with a range of 50 metres.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/1314928808735256581

loving lmao

poland has refused to negotiate over danzig!

The problem is that legally and internationally recognized borders- speaking Azerbaijan has the rightful claim, that’s a huge hurdle for the Armenians to overcome, it’s probably the biggest card in Azerbaijan’s deck.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Syncopated posted:

How many ethnic cleansings have there been in the last 20 years actually? Myanmar, what Sri Lanka did to the tamils might count I’m not 100% sure. China, Syria?

China, Syria, Palestine, Myanmar, Iraq, there's a bunch of them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How's the war looking? still a stalemate or is the momentum now with the Azeris?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

https://t.me/bagramyan26/21790

https://t.me/bagramyan26/21791

"We must find resources to force Azerbaijan to make concessions: Pashinyan"

"Armenian people are ready for painful concessions, but not for surrender: Pashinyan"

literally in the same speech ????????????

hmmmm sounds like things are going rather poorly for the armenians....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hmmm looks like Azerbaijan is outright winning the war

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow I didn’t realize how bad the military situation had gotten for Armenia, I definitely wasn’t expecting them to totally lose this, god drat they got completely abandoned by everyone. Erdogan must be ecstatic that his new drone tech was such a massive success.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So the big question is what did Turkey gain by helping Azerbaijan win this war? Was the region vital to them strategically? Is there like an oil pipeline planned or something? If they wanted this as a test case for their drones it seems like it was a complete success in that regard.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s pretty shocking how decisively and quickly Armenia got defeated, I was expecting this to be one those forever proxy wars. I wonder how the turks will start adjusting to the new reality that they’ve become a significant force to be reckoned with thanks to their drone power.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I mean, someones gotta get rid of Viktor Orban and Sebastian Kurz somehow.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow Armenia got royally screwed by everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

poo poo's going down in armenia, basically the military is attempting to do a coup:-

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1364851445456130055?s=20

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1364855236360359938?s=20

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1364872500967075840?s=20