Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
would anyone be willing to effort-post about the history behind these two countries and/or their current political climates? I only have the vaguest idea about this region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My reading on this topic informs me that the Presidium of the USSR established a Special Administrative Region of Nagorno-Karabakh in order to prevent the Armenian Supreme Soviet from unilaterally transferring control of the region away from the Azerbaijani Supreme Soviet in violation of the Soviet Constitution, a program of cultural and economic aid was provided to finance development of the region, and a multilateral force of troops were deployed to maintain the peace.

In this sense, the ability of Moscow to act as a mediating force over Armenia and Azerbaijan does seem to be preferable to the current relationship.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Malkina_ posted:

How long until liberals want Armenian genocide 2.0 because they’re Russia’s ally

It's not going to break through the Trump's taxes news.

Boredumb posted:

Armenia is not backed by the US lol

The talking point going around is that Trump has half-a-dozen properties in Azerbaijan :smugdon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Literally all I know about the region comes from the book Black Garden (by de Waal, it's about 20 years old at this point). That said, it seems to be the most authoritative single English source on the region at the moment so I'll summarize the key points as best I remember them.

Thanks for this. That flare-up in the late 80s under Gorbachev was covered in two pages of a book I had, but that was it, so it's nice to have a bigger perspective.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1310471694117724164

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fanfic insert posted:

damnit, if only we had invited them into the EU NATO before this and this war wouldve never happened damnit all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I'm not sure that we should be siding with Armenia in this, they're just as guilty of things as Azerbaijan, we should just let the Azeris have Artsakh

very normal discourse, going on, online, on the internets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CMANO DLC when

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FArtsakh/status/1310928824352288769?s=19

Fartsakh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WASBAPPIN/status/1311472821650948097

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more like Guapo Gusano

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ace Combat 7 was a documentary

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Turkey sending jihadists into other countries was one of the things that China was worried about with respect to Uighur extremism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

I assume your saying that Therefore it’s ok to shove all the uighurs into concentration camps and systematically destroy their religion, culture, mosques, etc. and subjecting them to surveillance and extreme oppression.

I read it in a book by Seymour Hersh that was mostly about how the entire narrative we've been sold about bin Laden's killing was completely faked, and finding some level of confirmation of the take feels... odd and disconcerting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

been laughing at this for five minutes now

loving incredible

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah if you look at earlier War Nerd columns he's been a Tutsi stan for years. Not sure how much of it is genuine and how much is the Gary Brecher persona.

I kept reading this as Tulsi stan lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

well if you zoom in on the tailpipe and enhance the fins I think you'll that according to the wikipedia page, that's clearly an Armenian missile, with an angle that can be geolocated back to a launch site in Armenia

:goonsay:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

I mean even if Azerbaijan got exactly what they wanted they'd basically just have mini-Chechnya on their hands except even more heavily armed and also being directly supported by their neighbors. Like what's they're end game, hope the Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh just leave?

"just leave", euphemistically, sure

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vasukhani posted:

2 mcchickens and some 1915 sauce please

doesn't this violate the principle that two nations that both have McDonalds in them will never go to war with each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SpainNATO/status/1321916822833213446?s=19