Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The ones in Eurasia probably have less C.I.A involvement and better food, so I’m good, thanks.

I mean that cheese boat thing looked pretty good.

Its pretty greasy and alot of times the egg is still pretty raw so ymmv (i love it but alot of americans react badly to it). They also have a pseudo-fondu, don't know the name, which is pretty good and mixed with flour. Sticks to the bones.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Al-Saqr posted:

Well yeah I guess if we strip out everything in the end Armenia wasn’t the one who started this so they’re in the right. I honestly hate the Azerbaijan government and I don’t care at all that they’re Muslims theyre a lovely dictatorship that’s allied with Israel so they can just gently caress right off lol.

The amount of trolling online though is really insane I truly don’t understand what’s the point of what Azerbaijan and their backers are trying to accomplish, do they even have military objectives?!

Presumably reclaim the non N-K parts of Artsakh, in part or full.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Kazinsal posted:

Armenia is the good guys in this one iirc because Nagorno-Karabakh is almost entirely populated by Armenians and Azerbaijan is willing to help Turkey take a second crack at the whole Armenian Genocide thing if Turkey helps them re-annex Nagorno-Karabakh.

The Azeri state are evil fuckers but this kind of poo poo is more or less blatant genocide denial.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I think that guy specifically might be taking the piss, but after what I saw when the chodes invaded Cihangir a couple nights ago I'm a bit less sure. In any case I'm sure every prominent Armenians mentions and replies are wall to wall angry wolf avatars.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The area of the Artsakh republic is considerably larger than the old oblast, which indeed was 99% Armenian. But the hundred thousand or so Armenians made up only a quarter of the population of the plateau when they declared independence.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

once again throughout all this the most shocking thing is the strength of azeri twitter

They're turks. Aggressively shitposting about all the genocides they wanna do is in their blood.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
A big part of Armenias ground advantage is eastern Artsakh being an ungodly mess of mountain passes, so that ground advantage collapses if that factor gets neutralized somehow. Hopefully it'll act as a meatgrinder for the Azeri ground material until everyone goes home.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Nazis or does Cali have a giant Turkic population?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vasukhani posted:

Never heard of Nazis having a beef with Armenians. Then again, they might just hate any vaguely strange-looking immigrant.

I mean you'd think they'd love Assyrians and Chaldeans too but lol.
But probably Turks as the expat community is like 90% chud or chud adjacent.

Soy Division posted:

I’d be watching out for Armenian community leaders dying in weird accidents...

MIT isn't usually that subtle. It'll be some bozkurt freak plugging them in the head at their office.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Sep 29, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

what the gently caress is this shite
e: is this like where people depict everywhere a roman soldier ever took a poo poo as part of the Empire?

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Sep 29, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
its been going on since the 80's at least when the CIA trained the mujahids to video tape attacks for snazzy clip shows of Uzbek soviets being ripped to pieces by shrapnel

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Gaupo Guacho posted:

actually the CIA/NATO pretty much invented the concept of war itself and disseminated it throughout the developing world as a psyop. before the CIA existed humanity had coexisted for nearly 2000 years of uninterrupted peace. read Killing Hope by William Blum if u want to learn more

gently caress off Gaupo Guacho.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm surprised Azerbaijan hasnt actually, you know, captured land yet considering they're the ones who had the initiative by starting this.
It was hardly a surprise attack and the terrain looks like this:

Hopefully those mountains chew through a decent amount of Salafists who have decided to take a vacation from sawing off shia heads so they can kill christians for a bit. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Al-Saqr posted:

Azerbaijan is Shiite so going by your metrics you ought to be hooting and hollering for them to win.
?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

You called the Azeris salafists in the post the guy's quoting! Come on bro!

No i called jihadis sent by Turkey to be canon fodder salafists. Because they are. I'm both shia and live in the region. I know what religion Azeri's follow(vodka).

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is simply the inevitable result of the Pax Americana being unsustainable for more than a decade or two (if that) because...have you looked at the United States?

Btw, the US has minimal pull in the conflict largely because the former US ambassador to Baku openly called for regime change in a few years back and permanently blew up US - Azerbaijani relations.

Also Bolton went to Armenia, who has received something of a hall pass regarding Iranian sanctions, and straight up said they should give up Artsakh for the sole purpose of normalizing trade with the Turkish states so they could sanction Iran with the rest of Americas patsies.
Which, evil of Artsakhs existence aside, is insane and probably the most tone deaf piece of "diplomacy" ever.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaGri07523396/status/1311744848068833288?s=20
gotta love the caucuses, where every valley has its own language

I suppose it is literally true that the government of the Artsakh republic has never disrespected the rights of any minorities on the Karabakh plateau, so they aren't being hypocrites I guess.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Syncopated posted:

I’m not sure how Armenia is supposed to move any anti-air or fighter planes into Nagorno-Karabakh since they have to go across Azerbaijan to get there. And without any of that the armenian forces are gonna get whittled down by air strikes. Not good imho

Those sections of Azerbaijan were occupied and ethnically cleansed in the 90's, a major part of the backstory of this conflict. So they can move stuff pretty easy, terrain and lovely infrastructure aside. I feel like there should be a primer or effort post somewhere explaining the difference between Nagorno Karabakh the Soviet Oblast, Karabakh/Artsakh the geographical/cultural region, and Artsakh the modern political entity. Maybe also detail past peace efforts and the various diplomatic factors at play.
I feel like people are interpreting pretty much everything through the one or two things they know about the history of the region sometimes.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Boredumb posted:

This is a not bad map to show the current "borders" if thats what you want to call them. Nothing about the demographics though of course:

Yeah alot of those cities have populations of 0.

It does make me wonder about all those travelogues who visit and are like "oh this place is so wonderful why won't the world just recognize them :(". The vast majority of it is a horrifying wasteland of crumbling dead cities. Outside of Stepanakert and a spackling of tiny villages around it its a loving Fallout game. Its the creepiest loving place on earth.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

A good statement, but honestly I'd be terrified of any grassroots movement in either country at this juncture.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Nonsense posted:

I'm not buying what either side is sellin' as information until Fox News gets on the ground.

Fox news is actually fairly reliable in Turkey. Its one of the more liberal stations. I still don't watch that poo poo tho because the mothership is still evil incarnate. Which side is US Fox siding with here or are they even reporting? On one hand the MIC and neocons favor the Azeri's, on the other hand the Azeri are perfidious Shia attacking Christians.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

wolfs posted:

Jake Hanrahan’s Popular Front podcast has put out a bit of podcast coverage

https://twitter.com/popularfrontco/status/1312169503271215104?s=21

I’ve liked his work in the past doing interviews in war zones, but this seems more like background on the conflict

e: he’s retweeted some interesting stuff

https://twitter.com/_____mjb/status/1312589251041689601?s=21

Derek Davisons probably had the best podcast on the region I've seen so far. Dolans is, unfortunately, one of his very few episodes with Bad Takes (the others are the one with the Igbo lady, and his opinions on Tutsi massacres of Hutus).

Also: I've cracked open my de Waal and I'm tracking down Bournoutian's stuff to make a big dumb effort post on DEMOGRAPHICS and HISTORY and GENOCIDE and THE PERFIDIOUS TSARS whose FAULT THIS ALL IS(But not in the way you think!)

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Uh the Igbo lady just went on long diatribes about how people in the north of Nigeria are just lazy mooches who are poor because they're stupid (probably because of ISLAM), not like the genius entrepreneurial Igbo. The Tutsi militias were justified in massacring refugee camps in service of building a Glorious Tutsi Empire to challenge colonialism. Armenians have never, once, commit pogroms or ethnic cleansing on their Azeri neighbors. All claims to the contrary are made up bullshit. Dolans great but sometimes in cases of ethnic strife he Chooses A Side in a definitive way.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
its what Armenian twitter is claiming but missiles jamming into the ground like that isn't super rare. On the other hand it's the Azeri government who lie even when the truth sounds better so who knows.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just listened to the RWN Nagorno-Karabakh ep, what was Dolan's Bad Take?
It's a 99% great episode that contains a single offhanded comment that sort of spoils it to the effect of "all Armenian perpetuated massacres are Azeri lies". They were talking about some idiocy the Azeri's claimed like the Armenians genocided 3 million people or something, but they painted with too large a brush regarding it. And conflated the population of Karabakh the oblast and Karabakh the historical region which is the main way #ArtsakhStrong types lay claim to the whole region.

Re: the missile being held up by woodhttps://media.am/en/verified/2020/1...yPqreJzv35oiHZA
Site obviously leans a bit towards the Armenian side to say the least, but one of the slightly less propagandistic outlets bothering to cover things. Which isn't saying much but there you go.

e: https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1313191474205470720
Well done once again America. Very cool.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Oct 5, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vasukhani posted:

The only glaring bad take on the Armenian side is westerns who are repeating myths that all of historic Armenia was homogeneously Armenian.

According to Russian empire census it was only ever something like 55% Armenian. This type of stuff only backfires

Shushi carries alot of cultural weight as being the most independent center of Azeri power prior to the formation of the Azeri state and was probably what murdered the peace process in the early 2000s (besides Aliyev generally being a loving ogre who views the Artsakh issue as a way to drum up nationalist frenzy to keep himself in power).

And will probably murder any future peace process because it's one of the few cities Artsakh has tried to actually resettle in any serious way (somewhat hampered by the fact that their population is too small to colonize the seized territories), and Artsakh made their capturing and burning LIBERATING of the city one of its main national holidays.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Thank god! Had some problem with beasts stealing my chickens but this kindly fox has offered to guard them for free!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

You should check out what Clintons natsec psychos were saying in the 90s about Bosnia before deciding they could use it as an excuse to use the American military to put pressure on countries in the region. Everyone in that field are absolute goblins one and all.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

God I wish the CHP were this brave

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Whats goin on there? "Peace" talks? Social life and work got ahead of obsessing about politics and world news.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Its either "dont hit Armenia proper" or "Don't annex the oblast" I imagine as thats been Russias lines on this so far.

e: Actually reading it might be more an agreeing to certain borders which is meaningless because unless it's "All of Karabakh is Armenian" it doesn't change the situation. Artsakh hasn't even pretended territory it took is up for negotiation since the early oughts when Aliyev walked out on the talks.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Oct 9, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

That Spooky Witch posted:

ah, a ceasefire, surely this will last longer than 15 minutes into it

edit: I wonder if a ceasefire sounds HOT HOT HOT for turky

Turkey's main goal here is to establish themselves as a regional power and be involved in brokering whatever peace deal forms (erdogan is poo poo, but he isn't actually a pan-turkish psychopath). So it entirely depends on if they're consulted or not.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mobby_6kl posted:

Assuming they did it intentionally... And that the Azeris didn't blow it up themselves. I really don't see what the goal would be otherwise.

this is "pallywood" poo poo, consider not doing this

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

The local Hyatt decided a three story tall Azeri flag was appropriate to drape over their hotel in Levent. It's pretty close to where I live and also to one of the main remaining Armenian neighborhoods in the city. Cool stuff.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
No one denies atrocities against Armenians and no one cheers for the Azeri government. No one posts "Azeri Strong" or "Go Azerbaijan!" Honestly its hard for most of the thread to hide their boners when Azeri soldiers get mulched.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Atrocious Joe posted:

This thread is pretty pro-Armenia, but c-spam rally isn't reflective of what most people are hearing and reading.

the wider Western media is building to support Azerbaijan no matter what, and there's money pouring in to reinforce that stance.

https://www.theamericanconservative...PcTjZ5dTuSzWNPE
yeah the american conservative is bonkers with it's domestic coverage, but it's decent when covering stuff connected to US foreign policy

I don't think most people pay much attention to the Nat Sec ghouls outside of DC, and Armenians have a massive media presence in the states, so on the culture front I expect Armenia to win out. A shame thats entirely meaningless as every blood-dripping vampire at the FDD lusts for Baku oil and they're the ones who actually influence policy.

Not a bad pitch tactic given that Zionists have generally been extraordinarily lovely towards the subject of the Armenian genocide going all the way back to Herzl.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
You could take it back even further if you wanted to, cuz the Armenians and Jews often filled the same societal niches in the region, with all the competing interests that implies. Trying to rile up their muslim neighbors to take out the heathen competition was pretty common. Solidarity is hard folks.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

On that unhappy topic I wonder how many anti-Semitic conspiracy theories will be repurposed against Armenians; "oh, you wouldn't hear about that in your country, they control the media there"

Turkish society is way ahead of you: the Kardashians have been portrayed as brainwashing puppeteers ever since Kim called lahmacun "Armenian pizza".

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
New Nagorno-Karabakh episode of War Nerd with a native reporter from Artsakh. Its...ok. Interviewee does the usual Artsakh poo poo("we liberated Shushi""its a shame that Nakhchivan is lost to us, but what could have been!") But it contains some good commentary on the international political situation and on the ground experience of someone dealing with Azeri warcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I mean a young person growing up in the sort of cultish environment of a militarized and heavily propagandized siege society is going to come out of that with a certain worldview and strange beliefs. Like she seemed to honestly believe that Nakhichevan had been an Armenian majority territory in the very recent past*, and I don't really blame her for being like that. But Ames and Dolan do seem to take it all at face value even beyond not wanting to be confrontational with a guest whos being currently shelled with artillery. That being said most of the interview is good, but contains little new information for anyone here.

*Although there was quite a bit of genocide going on there this past century

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Oct 13, 2020