Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

this conflict is literally because gorby couldn't pick a side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbm9oHK6Oo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sum posted:

Is that controversial? They're literally Caucasian, were the first place to officially Christianize and are constantly feuding with their Muslim neighbors. I'd think that would tick a lot of Neo Nazi culture war boxes.

serb neo-nazis love em at least

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Malkina_ posted:

How long until liberals want Armenian genocide 2.0 because they’re Russia’s ally

literally wait a bit

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

there I was, living my life, thinking the spirit of turbo folk had died

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MsaG81ke4

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

you are forgetting the importance of skycloth!!!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is going to be the stupidist loving proxy war ever

imagine the balkin wars happening during the cold war, thats what we're looking at here

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
love all the liberty we have now that everyone has their own sky cloth

totally wasnt better when there was a unifying ideology making nationality irrelevant

wisconsingreg has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Sep 28, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Armenian community is large enough in the US to make this a bit of a domestic issue

and the libs have enough russia brain that it won't matter

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Yup, The perpetrators of the pogroms were the beloved anti-soviet activists who founded such glorious states as the baltic states and Ukraine. Nationalism is a brain disease

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OhFunny posted:

Feeling like you glossed over a lot of what I wrote about how Soviet decisions were at the root of the issue and then worsened instead of easing the situation later on.

crazy how the soviet union was defined by 70 years of ethnic violence

I wonder what was going on in 1988 hmm

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fizzil posted:

This is disheartening to hear, as a barely posting muslim stripping the politics away and ignoring the assholes on twitter on both sides Armenia would still have just cause. Also gonna sound like a butt by bringing up religion but there is a profound hadith on stopping other muslims from doing oppression, so it doesn't sit well with me when these folks have been devastated barely within living memory to see them get shat on once again. I would hope the general muslim attitude on the internet stop getting played by the media but :shrug:

Only people I've really seen trying to make this about religion are serbs, who desperately want the Armenians to do a Srbencia (which they won't)

Azeris are mostly agnostic or culturally shia, even Iran hate them, this isnt about religion

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1310524335078232065

world having a normal one

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
only russia has those

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://carnegie.ru/commentary/82797?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

quote:

The current escalation is a direct consequence of freezing the negotiations process. There have never been such short intervals between major armed flare-ups in the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. Even the four-day war of 2016 was preceded by a nearly four-month lull. Now there are two hotspots in the standoff: one on the border, 300 kilometers from the line of contact, and another in Nagorno-Karabakh itself.

There are several possible outcomes to the current situation. The most likely is a battle for small and not particularly important pockets of land, allowing for the symbolic declaration of a “victory,” and a more concrete PR victory at home. That strategy may look foolproof in theory, but in practice, raising the bar in a conflict makes it very difficult to stop as planned. The opponent may have an entirely different view of things, and then a new strand of the confrontation is inevitable.

Incidentally, it cannot be ruled out that the current escalation is part of preparations for negotiations, and is needed to shore up diplomatic positions and ramp up pressure on the opponent before resuming talks.

Whatever reasoning is behind the armed clashes, one thing is clear: the importance of military force in the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process is growing with every day. The absence of talks is becoming critical. If the Karabakh pendulum isn’t repaired very soon and doesn’t swing over from the generals to the diplomats (even allowing for a possible swing back the other way afterwards), it may become irreparable. And then the prospects of yet another regional war breaking out once again will stop being a mere scenario described by experts.

Yeah, the Azeris will take just enough to say they have won, and then the Armenians will push them back just enough to declare victory. That's my prediction.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

at least two of these are right

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Iran is doubling down support for Armenia. Get ready for us to official embrace panturkism

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Stairmaster posted:

is this gonna be a big thing

20% yes 80% no

ask in 5 days

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
im pro Russia enforcing status que ante bellum and no one getting ethnically cleansed/genocided

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

found another good one. in this, the armenians' dance moves are so powerful it throws off turkish soldiers' aim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733EtpHBD_s

hmmm

quote:

My stupid leftist professor was telling us how nationalism was evil and how the Bulgarians and other eastern Europeans were wrong to revolt against Ottoman rule. She said the Turkish Muslims "suddenly" became the other. No, they became the other the day their invaded and colonized other people groups. If people who want self-determination from Westerns are right then the same goes for people who want freedom from cultural assimilation and colonization from non-white people.

never listen to a leftist they're evil and support the diminishment of christian civilization

bad guys really won the cold war eh

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is gonna become balkan round 2 with jihadists fighting nazis isnt it

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

very normal discourse, going on, online, on the internets

the discourse is making a full on, unironic stalinist

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wolfs posted:

is it clear who everyone is a proxy of yet

Turkey and Azerbaijan are on one side, but are Iran and Armenia on the other?

Iran has committed the most support to Armenia, Russia too. So yeah, it's going to be Isreal/Turkey versus Rus/Iran

the no mans land battlestates will be sacrificed as part of the struggle

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

very normal discourse, going on, online, on the internets

Sinteres posted:

A lot of countries around the world broadly support Azerbaijan's position, even if they want a peaceful resolution, so I don't blame Turkey for being more sympathetic to Azerbaijan than Armenia. I do think they're pretty much the last country on the planet that should be involved in unnecessary unilateral or bilateral military aggression against Armenia though, just as (for example, please don't go in the weeds on this) Germany would be probably the last country in the world you'd want to take any military action against Israel, even if they had a relatively sympathetic purpose for doing so. I don't have a strong position on who should govern Nagorno-Karabakh (though I will note that many of the same countries that oppose Armenia's position because of Azeri sovereignty and ethnic cleansing of Azeris were fine with Kosovo engaging in ethnic cleansing of Serbs and becoming independent, and the Azeris also committed massacres against Armenians), but I don't want Turkey anywhere near the situation.

the message i got from this is military action should be taken, just not by the turks? lol

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Shells landing in Armenia proper now. This would be able to trigger CSTO.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
And reports of aircraft being used now. Yup, this'll be a regional war.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The actions leave no choice but to switch to the use of long-range attack systems and destructive power. "/ Ministry of Defense of Armenia.

it really is starting

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

So as it stands who has the bigger military dick here? It’s probably Azerbaijan what with their deals with Israel/Turkey? I mean barring any Russian intervention do they have enough stuff to fight back against Azerbaijan?

Depends how much Iran helps.

Azerbaijan can also get invaded on every side if it is decided that events have gone to far

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sing Along posted:

https://www.media-center.am/en/1462092772

a former Armenian PM claimed in 2016 that Armenia has nuclear weapons. he refused to elaborate or explain what kind / what he meant

armenia nuking baku would be the most 2020 thing ever

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Iranian forces are engaging with Azeri aircraft

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is literally somehow an even dumber 1914

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Turkish jets just engaged Armenian.

https://www.facebook.com/shushanstepanyan/posts/3283559811680156

one Su-25 downed

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

unlimited shrimp posted:

Who's the world power backing Armenia?

Russia has military bases there?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Nazis or does Cali have a giant Turkic population?

Never heard of Nazis having a beef with Armenians. Then again, they might just hate any vaguely strange-looking immigrant.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I mean you'd think they'd love Assyrians and Chaldeans too but lol.
But probably Turks as the expat community is like 90% chud or chud adjacent.

Uh yeah, the Christchurch shooter talked about the plight of christian minorities, serbs and armenians in his manifesto

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Dante80 posted:

A mild reminder below that war is loving hell and you cannot really lol at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6VIdnwsh6g

This is what is happening right now. Most of the Azeri and Armenian forces consist of teenage conscripts.

think this might be fake

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Terminal autist posted:

If we get more tupac is serb videos out of this ill call it a wash

tupac shakuryan

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Begining to think that this might not have happened. We will have to wair for some type of corroboration, I don't get why they haven't shown anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
i think he has since renounced absolutely all of that and his cohost is armenian, still should change the name lmao