Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

it's the same as flashlights, so if you're in a dark room you're losing sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing Demonologist again with some friends and IDK wtf is going on because it seems there is no cooldown between hunts which makes the game extremely difficult once you burn through your sanity. Do not think this happened before (haven't played in like 6 months). You will just get chain hunted endlessly now, can't really recommend this game as a fun alternative to phasmo anymore due to it lol.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Been playing Demonologist again with some friends and IDK wtf is going on because it seems there is no cooldown between hunts which makes the game extremely difficult once you burn through your sanity. Do not think this happened before (haven't played in like 6 months). You will just get chain hunted endlessly now, can't really recommend this game as a fun alternative to phasmo anymore due to it lol.

isn't that just kinda like Nightmare chain hunts?

Well, actually, I guess if the front door never unlocks then you're just sort of screwed.

I just got to Prestige 3, I miss my NVGs again :( I'm significantly better at no evidence runs to the point that normies pubs trust my opinion, but still not as good as those crazy dudes who can identify one of the 'boring' ghosts in the first like 2 minutes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit I have not played that much nightmare (friends typically want to just play Professional) but you basically get less than 10 seconds between hunts now in Demonologist even on Easy mode, which is the real problem especially given all the time you gotta spend on secondary objectives.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Revitalized posted:

I just got to Prestige 3, I miss my NVGs again :( I'm significantly better at no evidence runs to the point that normies pubs trust my opinion, but still not as good as those crazy dudes who can identify one of the 'boring' ghosts in the first like 2 minutes.

I have no idea how you're able to do this, given my buddy and I constantly cocking up full evidence runs. What are you even looking at/judging around?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mercenarynuker posted:

I have no idea how you're able to do this, given my buddy and I constantly cocking up full evidence runs. What are you even looking at/judging around?

Note: Zero Evidence runs are usually conducted with 0 sanity for asap hunts, so sanity isn't something to track. Moroi will always be fast for example. You also want to hide behind a table or something that gives you room to maneuver if the ghost happens upon you (or a Deogen)

When looping around a kitchen or picnic table, stay crouched to cut line-of-sight or else the ghost will gain speed (unless you want it to)

So basically after the first or second hunt you can usually mark off a good chunk of ghosts just by hiding and listening to footsteps:
> FOOTSTEPS (SPEED)
- was it hella slow? Revenant
- was it kinda slower than normal? Possible Twins. Is the breaker on? Hantu because it's slow in warm areas.
- was it kinda fast? Possible Twins.
- was it hella fast? Moroi or Thaye.
- is it sometimes fast and sometimes slow? Did you have electronics laying around? Raiju.
> DID YOU BRING SMUDGE? Bait the ghost.
- Revenant will be obvious. Hantu does not speed up on line-of-sight. If the breaker is on, you can literally stand up and loop it around a kitchen table without sprinting. If the breaker is off, it'll be faster but you can see it occasionally have cold breath.
- Moroi and Thaye are similar but Thaye is faster at base speed. Thaye does not speed up on line-of-sight so it stays consistent. Moroi can speed up and has highest top speed, but when you smudge it, it's blind for 50% longer. Players say that "Moroi acts extra dumb when smudged" probably because it's blind for longer so it wanders around aimlessly for a while.
- Twins you sort of let hunt multiple times and listen for change in speed, and also if it interacts in multiple places.
> GHOST VISUALS?
- Phantoms "blink out" longer. If it's hard to visually track, it's a phantom.
- Oni "blink in" longer. It's really easy to see. (also they *never* do the ghost mist event, the one that goes HAAAAH in your ear)
- Obakes shapeshift at least once during their hunts. If the ghost model ever changes for a single blink, that's an Obake.
> SALT? (put it around your looping spot or it's fav room)
- wraith duh

All the above ghosts are "easy" where you can usually figure out a good guess in the first hunt. You can stay for objectives or bounce for fast money. You can also check for ghost orbs (Mimic) but that's up to you. The rest require a little more fooling around. You'll need it to hunt more, or observe for certain interactions. Remember to take advantage of between hunt cooldowns (25 seconds normally) and smudge cooldowns (90 seconds normally) Use a timer for smudges, it tells you when you're running out of time in the ghost room or if it's demon/spirit. Also timer starts as soon as the smudge takes effect.

- Spirit: Won't hunt again after smudge for a whopping 180s. It's very obvious.
- Poltergeist: Can throw multiple items at the same time, and also with significantly greater force. After a little practice you'll see what I mean. You can make a "polty bomb" by stacking a ton of throwables in a pile and leading the ghost into it.
- Banshee: If you have multiple players you can have people scatter and see who it follows and if it ignores other players in the open. Also it occasionally screams in the paramic. If you're hella ballsy, and you're confident that you are not the target, you can try to touch the banshee and see if it kills you. (Non-targets are safe. Target must be in the house.)
- Jinn: I hate this one, but you need the breaker turned on to figure this one out. It cannot turn off the breaker at all. Has hella speed up when far away, becomes regular speed up close. It also triggers EMF at the breaker box despite that it cannot turn off the breaker. Leave an EMF device turned on there.
- Mare: I also hate this one. It prefers to hunt in the dark, you can kind of "force it out" of a room by turning on the lights in there. It has higher odds of busting light bulbs but it's no guarantee. The best guarantee is when it immediately turns off a light switch you turned on. If that happens more than once, that's a pretty safe bet.
- Shade: Likes to be a silhouette more often. Does not hunt or do much if you're sitting in it's room. If you take a cruci and just sit where it spawns, it should like not ever do anything unless it changes rooms or you leave.
- Demon. Average ghost but the hunt cooldowns are significantly faster (60s smudge cooldown, 20s hunt cooldown)
- Yurei. Average ghost... but if you hear a nearby door get closed twice in rapid succession, that is a yurei 100%. Also the only ghost that can shut the front door without a ghost event.
-Yokai. Average ghost. Kinda unreliable but it can't sense you talking or using electronics until it gets much closer. This one takes a little bit of practice to guess.
- Goryo. Average ghost. Never changes favorite room.
- Myling. Average ghost, but you can't hear it until it gets closer. Opposite of Yokai but slightly more obvious.
- Onryo. Average ghost but if you find out where it's coming from, take a bunch of candles there and light them. It will be unable to hunt- instead just constantly trying to blow out the candles in the area. (Bring a cruci just in case too)
- Mimic. Figure out where the ghost is coming from and... take a video camera there.

I'm probably missing some other small tells for some of these ghosts, which is what separates hurf-durf-me with those crazy speedrun pros that can tell immediately in the first 5 seconds of the hunt. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but this is sort of like the process of elimination that I kind of follow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Revitalized posted:

Note: Zero Evidence runs are usually conducted with 0 sanity for asap hunts, so sanity isn't something to track. Moroi will always be fast for example. You also want to hide behind a table or something that gives you room to maneuver if the ghost happens upon you (or a Deogen)

When looping around a kitchen or picnic table, stay crouched to cut line-of-sight or else the ghost will gain speed (unless you want it to)

So basically after the first or second hunt you can usually mark off a good chunk of ghosts just by hiding and listening to footsteps:
> FOOTSTEPS (SPEED)
- was it hella slow? Revenant
- was it kinda slower than normal? Possible Twins. Is the breaker on? Hantu because it's slow in warm areas.
- was it kinda fast? Possible Twins.
- was it hella fast? Moroi or Thaye.
- is it sometimes fast and sometimes slow? Did you have electronics laying around? Raiju.
> DID YOU BRING SMUDGE? Bait the ghost.
- Revenant will be obvious. Hantu does not speed up on line-of-sight. If the breaker is on, you can literally stand up and loop it around a kitchen table without sprinting. If the breaker is off, it'll be faster but you can see it occasionally have cold breath.
- Moroi and Thaye are similar but Thaye is faster at base speed. Thaye does not speed up on line-of-sight so it stays consistent. Moroi can speed up and has highest top speed, but when you smudge it, it's blind for 50% longer. Players say that "Moroi acts extra dumb when smudged" probably because it's blind for longer so it wanders around aimlessly for a while.
- Twins you sort of let hunt multiple times and listen for change in speed, and also if it interacts in multiple places.
> GHOST VISUALS?
- Phantoms "blink out" longer. If it's hard to visually track, it's a phantom.
- Oni "blink in" longer. It's really easy to see. (also they *never* do the ghost mist event, the one that goes HAAAAH in your ear)
- Obakes shapeshift at least once during their hunts. If the ghost model ever changes for a single blink, that's an Obake.
> SALT? (put it around your looping spot or it's fav room)
- wraith duh

All the above ghosts are "easy" where you can usually figure out a good guess in the first hunt. You can stay for objectives or bounce for fast money. You can also check for ghost orbs (Mimic) but that's up to you. The rest require a little more fooling around. You'll need it to hunt more, or observe for certain interactions. Remember to take advantage of between hunt cooldowns (25 seconds normally) and smudge cooldowns (90 seconds normally) Use a timer for smudges, it tells you when you're running out of time in the ghost room or if it's demon/spirit. Also timer starts as soon as the smudge takes effect.

- Spirit: Won't hunt again after smudge for a whopping 180s. It's very obvious.
- Poltergeist: Can throw multiple items at the same time, and also with significantly greater force. After a little practice you'll see what I mean. You can make a "polty bomb" by stacking a ton of throwables in a pile and leading the ghost into it.
- Banshee: If you have multiple players you can have people scatter and see who it follows and if it ignores other players in the open. Also it occasionally screams in the paramic. If you're hella ballsy, and you're confident that you are not the target, you can try to touch the banshee and see if it kills you. (Non-targets are safe. Target must be in the house.)
- Jinn: I hate this one, but you need the breaker turned on to figure this one out. It cannot turn off the breaker at all. Has hella speed up when far away, becomes regular speed up close. It also triggers EMF at the breaker box despite that it cannot turn off the breaker. Leave an EMF device turned on there.
- Mare: I also hate this one. It prefers to hunt in the dark, you can kind of "force it out" of a room by turning on the lights in there. It has higher odds of busting light bulbs but it's no guarantee. The best guarantee is when it immediately turns off a light switch you turned on. If that happens more than once, that's a pretty safe bet.
- Shade: Likes to be a silhouette more often. Does not hunt or do much if you're sitting in it's room. If you take a cruci and just sit where it spawns, it should like not ever do anything unless it changes rooms or you leave.
- Demon. Average ghost but the hunt cooldowns are significantly faster (60s smudge cooldown, 20s hunt cooldown)
- Yurei. Average ghost... but if you hear a nearby door get closed twice in rapid succession, that is a yurei 100%. Also the only ghost that can shut the front door without a ghost event.
-Yokai. Average ghost. Kinda unreliable but it can't sense you talking or using electronics until it gets much closer. This one takes a little bit of practice to guess.
- Goryo. Average ghost. Never changes favorite room.
- Myling. Average ghost, but you can't hear it until it gets closer. Opposite of Yokai but slightly more obvious.
- Onryo. Average ghost but if you find out where it's coming from, take a bunch of candles there and light them. It will be unable to hunt- instead just constantly trying to blow out the candles in the area. (Bring a cruci just in case too)
- Mimic. Figure out where the ghost is coming from and... take a video camera there.

I'm probably missing some other small tells for some of these ghosts, which is what separates hurf-durf-me with those crazy speedrun pros that can tell immediately in the first 5 seconds of the hunt. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but this is sort of like the process of elimination that I kind of follow.

Jesus loving Christ. If the dead rise I'm going to shoot you a DM.

I hate to fill this page with even more length but I really, really want to quote this to save it. I've been struggling with 1 evidence runs, badly. This is solid gold.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I thought they patched out being able to touch a banshee as a non target, is that still in?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I thought they patched out being able to touch a banshee as a non target, is that still in?

oh really? Was this in one of the recent 9 hotfixes? I mean, I don't make it a point to go touch banshees, so I'm not sure, but last week or two I had a couple instances where someone would swear they didn't die to a banshee.

edit: also in my no evidence runs, I personally enjoy doing it on Tanglewood, because it's very compact, easy to navigate and you can loop in both garage and kitchen.

Some folks enjoy doing it on Ridgeview because of the hiding spot behind the fridge (very solid hiding spot and always available even when you turn off hiding spots). They loop the dining table.

Finally, most popular online is Camp Woodwind. The double picnic tables is right next to the entrance, and if you turn on Foggy weather, it increases the multiplier and gives you night-time visibility. Also there was a exploit that got patched out where you could get on the picnic table. And another one where you can stand on the campfire logs. I think Woodwind is the most boring but it's the most common pub lobby.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I might be misremembering and can't check right now unfortunately

e: The wiki, at least, says that the Banshee hunt behavior is unchanged. Not sure what I was thinking of, unless it's like a Nightmare thing or something

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 13, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I played a bunch of public lobbies the other weekend, and it seemed like 2 out of 3 games were doing the woodwind fast xp strat. The results were hilariously mixed.

One random guy had obviously cheated to prestige level 20, because he literally could not survive a single hunt. But he knew what every ghost was within two seconds, even if it was one of the average ones. Kind of cool seeing all the badges at that level though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

If anyone else out there still plays this game, the Halloween event is pretty cool. It seems like they put a lot of time into creating it, so I'm a little surprised it didn't come out until this close to Halloween and only around for two weeks. They definitely tried something different for this event, and I think it mostly works. I wish there was some kind of interaction with the ghosts, especially after you finish the cauldron. Even the old reliable pumpkin head model would have been something. But the way the event is set up, it seems very separate from the actual game.

I haven't played a real game yet on the new Maple Lodge. I just explored it a bit while doing the event. It seems to have way less annoying hiding spots than the old version (VR controls never played nice with closing tent flaps). I'm not sold just yet on how dense it is compared to the old version. There was something great about bolting from the cabin through that open area with a ghost behind you. Now you have plenty of ways to break LoS. But it does seem like an overall improvement.

Apparently they needed to retool Maple Lodge because consoles couldn't handle the old version. I assume that means the console version should be out pretty soon.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man I got temporarily burned out right at prestige, so I don't have NVGs anymore :( Those were my favorite...

At least I have a minty green badge now! Gonna check out the halloween event soon.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I don't think I have it in me to ever prestige. I'm just going to be a guy with a baby badge, but all the money and items.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Halloween event was cute, I think I like last years more from a gameplay point of view though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
it was pretty sweet, but yeah, I liked munching on the candy in all the maps

bonus points when you had all these pubs who were unaware about the halloween event, so when you collected all the candy it would make a scary noise and everyone would freak out lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just saw that Phasmophobia has achievements now. They're on Steam now but not yet earnable (global achievement 0%). I assume they'll go live as soon as the console versions eventually go live.

It's like 80% easy stuff, 10% prestige grinding and 10% apocalypse challenge. https://steamcommunity.com/stats/739630/achievements/

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm just glad Steve is back. I missed that spooky fella

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I was curious what those UV symbols in the lobby area meant, and evidently it's a tease for presumably the next map: Point Hope. As I was running around the new Maple campsite doing the halloween event, I noticed a map on the wall, and not too far away from the Maple site is a Point Hope Lighthouse. Guessing it'll come with the console release. Can't wait for spooky lighthouse shenanigans!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A new map would be really nice.

My own personal idea of something that would be cool would be like a museum. Clean and modern like the residential houses, but large like sunny meadows.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I want a spooky graveyard outdoor map, personally. Different sections can be different rooms, little crypts/mausoleums serving the same function as the bigger tents in Maple, office building, and gotta have a big rear end spooky tree somewhere

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I want a spooky graveyard outdoor map, personally. Different sections can be different rooms, little crypts/mausoleums serving the same function as the bigger tents in Maple, office building, and gotta have a big rear end spooky tree somewhere

This would work with a little 2 room church with a graveyard right next to it, the kind you find in small towns.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It would have to be built like the new campgrounds cause the big outdoor map cratered performance on console apparently

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
outdoor maps are kinda wonky to me because the "rooms" aren't always so clearly defined. I guess that's part of the appeal but hm

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There's a ton of of locations that would be cool.

Dead Mall.
Convenience Store.
Doctors practice.
Vet clinic.
Gas station.
Apartment block.
Hotel.
Any location that isn't American suburb.

IMO that the devs aren't don't see user generated content as befitting their vision is the single flaw of this game. I understand that it's an ordeal to give people the tools to create maps, and perhaps it's borderline impossible. But being limited to a small amount of maps is really the only reason for my group to try similar games like Demonology and Forewarned, which tbh we are only lukewarm about (at this point). We'd pay for a content pack. But unfortunately with how small the dev team is, it'll be a long time before we are going to see nieuw stuff.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the competitors like Forewarned all have their unique take (or just HD assets) but I always find myself coming back to Phasmophobia.

New locales for the maps would be such a positive addition.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't love the current map selection set-up for one singular reason: the daily task that says "Play a medium map." There's zero indicator that I can find in-game for what qualifies as a medium map. Maple is, but are any of the other ones? If maps get added, how will I know if it's medium or not?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think in the old UI they had map size indicators on them all.

IIRC, Prison and High School are "medium" maps, because Asylum was considered Large.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, they originally had map size designations (most of which I disagreed with). Then they moved to showing you number of rooms and floors for reasons I don't remember very well. Which is perfectly fine, but if a daily objective is going to be "play a medium map", well, there should probably be some indicators what that size class includes

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, technically Asylum was the largest for sure.

But considering the movement speed and number of rooms, High School (and Prison to some extent) may as well have been Large too lol

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

If I were reclassifying them, Tanglewood/Willow/Camp Woodwind would be small, Ridgeview/Edgewood/Grafton/Bleasdale would be medium, Maple/High School/Prison/Asylum Restricted would be Large, and full Asylum would be like Huge or something

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Speaking of maps, I would love for High School to get a facelift. It's one of my favorite locations, but playing it can be a bit tedious. Just adding some hiding spots in the classrooms would be clutch. And maybe visibly labeling classrooms to make the weejee board more usable.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
100% agree it should get a facelift, and I think some more obstacles in the hallway would make it feel less empty (giving it... tactical options)

And also that without labeling, you have to look up a guide to figure out most room numbers for the weejee. Either label the rooms or stick a giant map at the entrance just like Sunny Meadows did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The bigger the map is the less fun I find it. You move around so slow that I find it so much more tedious to get anything done. Does make for some good moments where you have no idea the ghost is hunting until you make a wrong turn down a hallway though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The main change I want for the high school (and bigger maps in general) is being able to move the truck directly next to any map entrance at any point during the investigation, and add more entrances if there's currently only one. I can deal with long walks when it's part of investigating the location and has danger present, but having to repeat the long walk to and from the high school entrances is unnecessary and tedious. Maybe the idea was to give you a full view of the building and build some anticipation, but that would be so much better served by adding an initial cutscene after loading the map.

That said, I'm looking forward to the very likely lighthouse map and the console update, because I want to try this on PSVR2.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The bigger the map is the less fun I find it. You move around so slow that I find it so much more tedious to get anything done. Does make for some good moments where you have no idea the ghost is hunting until you make a wrong turn down a hallway though.

The new tools have made the large maps significantly more bearable/fun (particularly NVGs, among other items like improved sound sensors and EMF3)

Move speed is unfortunately a bit of limiting factor when you have no idea where to focus. Playing the large ones without a cursed object kinda blows. Haunted Mirror is pretty fun for Prison/Sunny because it gives you just enough a hint to focus your efforts but without just blatantly telling you the room.

Mason Dixon posted:

The main change I want for the high school (and bigger maps in general) is being able to move the truck directly next to any map entrance at any point during the investigation, and add more entrances if there's currently only one. I can deal with long walks when it's part of investigating the location and has danger present, but having to repeat the long walk to and from the high school entrances is unnecessary and tedious. Maybe the idea was to give you a full view of the building and build some anticipation, but that would be so much better served by adding an initial cutscene after loading the map.

I have a feeling not that much thought went into the game design of high school, and it was more like "I have these school assets, let me just make what I think looks like a typical high school, that's a pretty good haunted location"

IIRC, DKnighter originally thought his Phasmophobia game was gonna be a one-off and he'd move onto other projects shortly after release- but he didn't expect the game to explode in popularity.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 10, 2023

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I feel like shrinking the school down to one floor and making fewer but more visually distinct classrooms would go a long way towards improving the map. Add some administrative and staff areas to break up the symmetry and you'd have a large map that feels a lot more interesting to explore

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Haunted mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think the haunted part is implied