Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I dunno if it's my drivers or what but the new lighting sucks hard for me. Sometimes it's just flat pitch black and I can't see anything with my candle out.

Anyone doing the holiday event? It wasn't until our third round that we realized that serving the cookies to the ghost (this is a cool surprise so don't mouse over til you already know)caused a blackout swoosh effect, and a hunt.

In the first round, the swoosh-hunt happened at 69% sanity, so we guessed demon immediately and left, but it was a shade, which confused me and i thought it was a bug

Second round the ghost immediately found my hiding spot so we correctly guessed Deogen, even though it hunted at like 59%, but I figured maybe I just didn't remember the hunt thresholds right. I started thinking maybe the blackout effect was a new mechanic they introduced to make hunts unambiguous again, cuz it's pretty cool and spooky.

On Edgefield we didn't find the last cookie til long after we'd ID'd and gotten secondaries and pictures, and we were both in the van and watching the plate through a camera when the blackout happened, and it was only then that I put it all together that it was the ghost eating the cookies, and starting a hunt if you're in the house

It's pretty great

e: Getting a couple hundred bucks for a job loving sucks

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like phasmo but i feel theres something missing from the core gameplay that i cant quite put my finger on. it's like just identifying the ghost feels a bit too passive, and i wish there were more ways to interact with the ghost

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e: Getting a couple hundred bucks for a job loving sucks

Why, what are you spending it on? Like, I get it's a decent barometer, but I have like umpteen of everything and multiple K in the bank

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone's got to pay the rent on the garage we run our business out of!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I dunno if it's my drivers or what but the new lighting sucks hard for me. Sometimes it's just flat pitch black and I can't see anything with my candle out.

Anyone doing the holiday event? It wasn't until our third round that we realized that serving the cookies to the ghost (this is a cool surprise so don't mouse over til you already know)caused a blackout swoosh effect, and a hunt.

I'm glad it's just a special event thing, because I think it'd wear out its welcome if it was just all the time, but yeah that effect surprised me the first few times as well and it is really cool. What could also be cool is if they made something similar for cursed hunts.

Regarding the lighting, that's unfortunate, it looks amazing for me. What are your video settings? Some of them seem to make a big difference. The ones I see the biggest differences with are FidelityFX Super Res (turn this off) and Sky Light (turn this on). FidelityFX just kinda makes things look bad in general, and Sky Light makes a huge difference with seeing shadows outdoors. Turning up fog quality also makes a big difference, but the performance hit on my computer (which is getting due for major upgrades, only has a 1060) is too much on the outdoor maps when there's fog.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Turning the sky light on seemed to fix it, thanks!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This event loving suuucks. The Halloween one wasn't perfect but it was much better than this. Sometimes we spent literally 15+mins just trying to get the ghost to eat the cookies.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I had a few fun rounds with it. One time the ghost ate the cookies out of my hand and scared the hell out of me. But I did have one game where the ghost was in a huge room and probably took 20 minutes to eat them.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I was playing earlier today on Edgefield, and found some activity in the master bedroom, so I went back to the truck to get more equipment. While starting to grab the equipment, I did a double-take after glancing over at the crucifixes because one of them was partially burned up, and I sure hadn't taken them out of the truck! A few minutes later, I realized this was not actually a bug because apparently the truck is close enough to Edgefield's master bedroom that the increased range a crucifix covers against demons can block the demon's special hunt ability even if you don't take the crucifix out of the truck!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That's awesome. It feels really good to figure out the ghost types in roundabout ways like that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mason Dixon posted:

I was playing earlier today on Edgefield, and found some activity in the master bedroom, so I went back to the truck to get more equipment. While starting to grab the equipment, I did a double-take after glancing over at the crucifixes because one of them was partially burned up, and I sure hadn't taken them out of the truck! A few minutes later, I realized this was not actually a bug because apparently the truck is close enough to Edgefield's master bedroom that the increased range a crucifix covers against demons can block the demon's special hunt ability even if you don't take the crucifix out of the truck!

That's spooky as hell, awesome

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

New update is out. Biggest parts are a new Insanity difficulty, custom difficulty reward nerfs, a new cursed item Monkey's Paw, a new bi-weekly(?) rotating Challenge difficulty and a bunch of fixes. The new rotating Challenge mode is the most interesting addition to me, because there's no penalty for dying since all the necessary items are automatically provided for you and the difficulty will apparently vary quite a bit depending on the challenge. Beating it 3 times on the specified map gives a decent reward (3k money/exp). The first challenge is not messing around, either. Prison, no starting sanity, pills do nothing, no smudge sticks, breaker is destroyed, I think but could be wrong that the ghost has a slightly higher base speed. I got it done, but took quite a few attempts... first one by Obake not leaving fingerprints on all doors after a hunt, second one by a Wraith teleport, third one by actually getting all three evidences for a Yokai in one of the cell blocks.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mason Dixon posted:

custom difficulty reward nerfs

Wait, did they do this AGAIN?

It basically killed my group's desire to play. We weren't even gaming it to min-max rewards; there were just a couple of elements we didn't enjoy as much, so we turned those down and turned up others.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

WhiteHowler posted:

Wait, did they do this AGAIN?

It basically killed my group's desire to play. We weren't even gaming it to min-max rewards; there were just a couple of elements we didn't enjoy as much, so we turned those down and turned up others.

Yes, cause gamers will suck the fun out of anything and people apparently super optimized poo poo to get mad bank with no effort.

The changes seem fine imo, they basically balanced some options against each other so that the penalty/bonus cancel each other out, but still give a reward. They basically removed all the edge cases.

There's also no longer a hard cap on rewards, just a soft cap.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, the main outright nerf to the custom rewards was changing the highest possible modifier down to 15(?)x from 24x, and thus individual multipliers got scaled down as well. The balance changes to prevent easy min/max was the other main nerf. These changes don't bother me, but I also don't predominantly play custom difficulty games.

The other thing is that the devs in discord have said whenever the next major update comes out, your levels and money are getting reset anyway to accommodate an updated levelling with prestige system (your current level will get preserved in the form of a prestige badge) and to put everybody on even ground for new item upgrades. They see the preset difficulties as the main way to progress and have number go up, while the custom difficulties is to play however you want but not necessarily get rewarded however you want.

Unrelated, it may just be me, but I think the game is running somewhat better. At least, my game would turn into a slideshow outside during certain weather like fog and rain before this update, and now it's not nearly as bad.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I logged in to see some of the new changes in the lobby, as well as get an idea for the new equipment. Was looking around, seeing if I could puzzle anything out about the runes, when suddenly I realized:

Where the drat hell did Steve go?!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mercenarynuker posted:

I logged in to see some of the new changes in the lobby, as well as get an idea for the new equipment. Was looking around, seeing if I could puzzle anything out about the runes, when suddenly I realized:

The new update moved him into your house in real life

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

If you're talking about the rafter buddy, we named him Kyle. I miss him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Friends and I recently picked up a new phasmo clone called "Demonologist" and it's pretty fun so far? I was starting to get kind of bored of how sterile everything felt in Phasmo and it at least so far seems like it really shakes things up on that angle. Way more 'spooky' things the ghost can do, like run across a hallway real fast or trigger canned interactions with specific items on each map. Where Phasmo felt like it was leaning into the "what if those ghost hunting shows were real" in terms of mundaneness, Demonologist def feels like you're in a cheap horror movie from the getgo, which is a fun change of pace.

The objectives shake things up a bit too, missions have 3 stages, where you have to complete the previous one to unlock the next, the first being voting on the ghost (which has to be locked in), then 3 sub objectives (photo, etc) and then if you can do all those you can try to exorcise it (haven't been able to attempt this so far since we didn't have the equipment at the time to complete the second tier of our hunts)

Also funny: one of the ghost types gets pissed off and hunts if it hears your swear lol.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Friends and I recently picked up a new phasmo clone called "Demonologist" and it's pretty fun so far? I was starting to get kind of bored of how sterile everything felt in Phasmo and it at least so far seems like it really shakes things up on that angle. Way more 'spooky' things the ghost can do, like run across a hallway real fast or trigger canned interactions with specific items on each map. Where Phasmo felt like it was leaning into the "what if those ghost hunting shows were real" in terms of mundaneness, Demonologist def feels like you're in a cheap horror movie from the getgo, which is a fun change of pace.

The objectives shake things up a bit too, missions have 3 stages, where you have to complete the previous one to unlock the next, the first being voting on the ghost (which has to be locked in), then 3 sub objectives (photo, etc) and then if you can do all those you can try to exorcise it (haven't been able to attempt this so far since we didn't have the equipment at the time to complete the second tier of our hunts)

Also funny: one of the ghost types gets pissed off and hunts if it hears your swear lol.

I watched a couple videos on this game recently and it definitely looks really fun. I'm probably going to hold off for a bit since I'm a bit wore out on ghost hunting games at the moment.

I also really like how they have words scattered on items and saying it triggers stuff like opening up halls and what not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

swordfish duelist posted:

I watched a couple videos on this game recently and it definitely looks really fun. I'm probably going to hold off for a bit since I'm a bit wore out on ghost hunting games at the moment.

I also really like how they have words scattered on items and saying it triggers stuff like opening up halls and what not.

Yeah the static interactions are cute, I like em.

Game def needs more variety atm though but hopefully it'll come.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been thinking about diving into this, but two questions:
1) is there a ton of people playing at any given time? Phasmophobia has been very reliable in that there's always multiple rooms to join
2) does the game actively jumpscare your screen like Devour/Pacify? Or just spooky rear end poo poo happening in the environment?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

I've been thinking about diving into this, but two questions:
1) is there a ton of people playing at any given time? Phasmophobia has been very reliable in that there's always multiple rooms to join
2) does the game actively jumpscare your screen like Devour/Pacify? Or just spooky rear end poo poo happening in the environment?

1. I see a decent amount of rooms whenever I launch, I can't speak to the quality of the community though since I only play with my friends

2. It's a mix. For every "spooky figure running down the hallway" there's a loud noise style one, there's really only one in the first map I find super obnoxious because the noise is waaaay too loud compared to the others but the others I don't mind too much and I say this as someone who really really hates jumpscares normally.

I should specify though the jump scares aren't like. Five nights at freddies style (not sure if that's what devour/pacify does but the description makes it seem like it?) but like, a loud horror sting as a ghost charges you or something spooky happens.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

1. I see a decent amount of rooms whenever I launch, I can't speak to the quality of the community though since I only play with my friends

2. It's a mix. For every "spooky figure running down the hallway" there's a loud noise style one, there's really only one in the first map I find super obnoxious because the noise is waaaay too loud compared to the others but the others I don't mind too much and I say this as someone who really really hates jumpscares normally.

I should specify though the jump scares aren't like. Five nights at freddies style (not sure if that's what devour/pacify does but the description makes it seem like it?) but like, a loud horror sting as a ghost charges you or something spooky happens.

Yeah, okay, I was wondering if it was in your face FNAF jump scares or like "oh poo poo! it's coming at you!"

Forewarned was a pretty neat game but there's like zero public games going on, even when new updates drop, so I have no one to play with.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

my friends and I bounced off forewarned but I liked the concept, haven't touched it in forever though so not sure how it's improved.

Something that Demonologist does which I like, is that some of the scares are individual, for example when we were trying to find the ghost one night this head just appeared out of nowhere in the hallway and would just look at me, no noise, nothing, turning its head whenever I moved. Neither of my friends could see it. That's the kind of stuff I love.

It's pretty goofy looking in all honesty but I dig the idea lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I really tried to like it, but it just feels like it's missing some magic juice that holds it all together. The later updates were actually quite substantial but no one's really playing and running around mazes isn't as fun as just searching a nice set house.

I might give Demonologist a shot soon, time to find out if it's too spooky for me haha. I still love Phasmophobia but I'm just patiently waiting for the next content update.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

https://www.ign.com/articles/phasmophobia-console-release-date-early-access-launch

It's crossplay, so hopefully I can get my console friends in on some ghost action

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I guess it indicates that we're getting the new gear update in or before August at the very least. I don't remember if the roadmap indicated that we were gonna get in by August but this seems to guarantee it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Is the game even playable on a controller? I've never played outside of VR, but isn't opening doors already kind of a pain with a mouse and keyboard?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Professor Wayne posted:

Is the game even playable on a controller? I've never played outside of VR, but isn't opening doors already kind of a pain with a mouse and keyboard?

Outside of VR, opening doors has always seemed fine to me w/ mouse and keyboard.

And from the discord's faq thread for the console update:

quote:

Will there be improved controller support?
Yes, the progression update has a completely overhauled UI navigation system for controllers.

The progression update is supposed to come out before the console update, so in theory, it should play ok on a controller. I've only used mouse and keyboard, so I have no idea how it is on controllers currently.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
One of my friends plays with a controller and finds it easier than MKB

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Progression update hit a couple days ago. It has it's fair share of bugs but overall it's pretty neat.

Tier 1 equipment is rear end, which I suppose was expected. The Tier 1 DOTs is hella hard to use. Despite being stuck with tier 1 equipment, it sort of brings me back to the old days of launch Phasmo where it was a struggle to figure out the ghost.

I did get into a game with some high level dude who grinded out 15x or something, and he had some tier 3 equipment. The tier 3 equipment is hella friggin sweet. The tier 3 DOTs will illuminate the whole drat room and tier 3 EMF makes prowling hallways super reliable.

The shop system is still somewhat unintuitive, but at least there are item descriptions now.

OH YEAH. Smudge sticks don't grant invulnerability now. Don't run through the ghost. It just blinds them, doesn't make them safe to touch.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a few hours last night. I really like the changes of how the DOTs and UV evidence work. They're both way more intuitive and less passive. I'm on the fence about the gear tiers. While it's kind of fun being forced to use lovely equipment, I feel like everyone's going to get up to level 3 and just never touch anything below that ever again. That's a lot of work from the dev team on something that can easily be ignored after a few weeks. Maybe they'll make us use certain tiers for challenges.

I play exclusively in VR, and some of the items are a little janky. Without having a viewfinder, it's difficult to take good pictures with the polaroid. And the matches require two hands, so I haven't bothered with smudge sticks yet.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Wayne posted:

I played a few hours last night. I really like the changes of how the DOTs and UV evidence work. They're both way more intuitive and less passive. I'm on the fence about the gear tiers. While it's kind of fun being forced to use lovely equipment, I feel like everyone's going to get up to level 3 and just never touch anything below that ever again. That's a lot of work from the dev team on something that can easily be ignored after a few weeks. Maybe they'll make us use certain tiers for challenges.

I think the current weekly challenge is all tier 1 equipment.

There is a prestige feature too, so folks doing that will go back to tier 1 equipment again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like all the crappy items except having to go back to the awful baby flashlight. I hate it so much

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yooo! Our little group discovered this game a couple of weeks ago. We've been dumping entire evenings into this stupid little game ever since. The game loop is so drat addictive! And the fact that it manages to be both comfy spooky action as well as downright horror is so cool.

We were just getting 'good' when the new update dropped. Working with the limitations of the wonky equipment adds a new layer of challenge to the game.

What saddens me a little is that apparently the devs have no intention of allowing player-made maps. Not a big fan of the big maps on the bottom row, and the small ones eventually get repetitive. I think this game would lend itself sooooo well to importing player-made maps.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo the update has completely changed how my group plays this game. We went from "Ghostbusters" to "Scooby Don't" overnight and it's genuinely loving brilliant.

Getting wrecked so many times now. We'd only had the game about six weeks and just before the update we were getting fairly good at quickly finding the ghost room and ID'ing the ghost on Professional (on suburb/farmhouse maps at least -- big maps were ball-achingly cruel on Professional) without anyone getting killed off, unless it was a Yokai or a Demon or whatever other horrible bastards can hunt early. After the update, we found ourselves getting bamboozled on maps as simple as Tanglewood, lumbering around in the dark like a bunch of mole-rats, constantly missing evidence and frequently wrong-ID'ing ghosts because of how utterly crap a lot of the Tier 1 stuff is.

No Spirit Box, no EMF 5, no DOTS = Wraith??? :dafuq:

Sure, we hosed that one up hard, but when your gear sucks and you no longer have every type of item sitting on the shelf it's surprisingly tricky to set stuff up to get the evidence you need, especially once the average sanity drops far enough for the ghost to start getting really lovely -- rushing back in to place another lo-res camera, read a slow-moving thermometer or check for scribbles in a cheap notepad, all while hoping the ghost doesn't lock the front door and start hunting, is a loving nerve-shredding experience, and mistakes are made!

Speaking of which, we're now getting hunted like nobody's business. Not having sanity meds available when waiting around in pitch-blackness to check for Orbs or DOTS during attempts to locate the ghost room is brutal.

I hate Demons.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I like that they are continuing to overhaul the game. Makes me want to play it, but I have no friends that play it. Any idea where I can find a group of people to play casually? I just wanna see the new stuff, not commit to this being a main game.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Speaking of which, we're now getting hunted like nobody's business. Not having sanity meds available when waiting around in pitch-blackness to check for Orbs or DOTS during attempts to locate the ghost room is brutal.

I hate Demons.

did they change the thing where holding a candle keeps your head lit, preventing sanity loss?

if they didn't, stand around in the dark room looking for dots but hold a candle next to your head

edit: the game never made this obvious, but the candle is a stakeout tool. once you have everything set up, you grab a candle, light it, and keep it in your hand so you infinite time to watch for ghost events and listen for specific behavior, if you were good about managing your sanity loss during setup

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

did they change the thing where holding a candle keeps your head lit, preventing sanity loss?

if they didn't, stand around in the dark room looking for dots but hold a candle next to your head

edit: the game never made this obvious, but the candle is a stakeout tool. once you have everything set up, you grab a candle, light it, and keep it in your hand so you infinite time to watch for ghost events and listen for specific behavior, if you were good about managing your sanity loss during setup

Pretty sure the changed this, theres something in the patch notes mentioning firelights (candles/lanterns) now only slow down sanity loss, not stop it.