Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I have this installed, never got past the tutorial. Down to play if we ever get a group together.

I'll be playing in VR so bonus: you'll likely get to hear a grown man scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a couple pieces of equipment that I haven’t found a use for except to collect money for bonus objectives; the motion sensor feels useless because the players can set it off too, and I don’t see the point in the sound sensor/microphone or the infrared sensor. It just feels like the lower tier equipment gets the job done more efficiently.

It's still a one person EA. Now that the dev has hit the jackpot, I imagine they'll be hiring some to flesh those bits out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cobbsprite posted:

Learn to make the most of the map in the van. It will show the location of the power breaker (green, looks like a battery), which is slightly randomized. The button to the left of the map changes floor. It doesn't show the location of any of the identification tools (video camera, EMF reader, etc), but it WILL show the location of motion detectors and players. Placing motion detectors in halls or to cover doors allows you to track where the ghost is moving on the map. That's good for identifying "Yes, the ghost is definitely in this room a lot and since we don't see ghost orbs we can eliminate that as evidence".

Sound detectors are kinda crap, tbh. Do not recommend. Same for parabolic microphone except in the high school or asylum.

Take a picture of ghost fingerprints if you find them. That's a little more money. Put salt in doorways and hallways and take a picture if you see it's been disturbed, that's also money. If the ghost knocks something over, take a picture of it quickly for "Interaction" and more money.

Here's a good pattern for hitting houses: Grab the thermometer, flashlight, and a crucifix. Turn on every HALLWAY, KITCHEN, and LIVING ROOM light. Not closets or bedrooms or bathrooms or utility rooms. Staying in the lit areas, open the doors and look in with the thermometer. Above 10 degrees C? Ignore it, leave the door open, move on. When you find a room below 10 C, turn the lights on in THAT room and dump the crucifix in the middle of the room. (Go ahead and drop the thermometer, it doesn't matter anymore.) Go grab your identifying tools (ghost writing book, spirit box, EMF reader, video camera, UV light) and place them in the room, particularly in spots that someone would move through. (Salt piles by the door and nearby hallways or in the room is also okay.) You can put the spirit box down anywhere, it has a pretty large range that it will catch ghost responses. (Carrying the EMF reader around is optional, but it's a good plan.) Turn off the lights. Ask ghost questions to see if it sets off the spirit box. You can ask it to "show us a sign". If you see anything move or lights turn on/off, get the EMF reader by there.

EMF5 and fingerprints are the hardest evidence to get, followed by ghost writing. You can get ghost writing reliably if you figure out where to place it so the ghost finds it, sometimes the ghost will miss it if it's been placed too far from the ghost (I usually take two books to make it easier to get). EMF activity goes up as the ghost gets more active, so you won't usually find it right away. Fingerprints are on an unknown percentage chance of happening when the ghost uses an object, but they can show up on windows, doors, and light switches. If you don't see any fingerprints, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any - the ghost might not have left any yet. Provoking more ghost activity can get you more chances to find fingerprints and EMF5, but it gets dangerous.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a chart of what ghost gives what evidence. I have one, and it helps so much. I can go "Okay, we have spirit box and ghost writing but no freezing temperatures. A Spirit will give us fingerprints and an Oni will give us EMF5. We don't see any freezing temperatures, so it's probably NOT a Demon. We can stop looking for ghost orbs, because nothing that gives spirit box responses and ghost writing also gives orbs." That will cut so much time and work out of your search, especially if you're having a hard time finding fingerprints or EMF5 and you realize that you don't need to keep looking for it.

Certainly sounds like you've successfully min/maxed the fun out of it!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was going to play last night but then I decided watching the election would be far more terrifying (I was right)