Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd been thinking about exactly this scenario for a long time and I'm so happy to see this skit p much mirror my thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OPTj7fKVw

Yes this. When these people get home, they're going to be mighty confused by all the random equipment just left about.

They need to add another option above professional where you have to bring back all your equipment and/or exorcise the ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Willow House is really cool! It's a very cute little 2-bedroom that notably uses a lot of new textures and doors. Lots of little nooks to potentially hide from the ghost, not sure how effective a lot of them are yet because I've managed to avoid getting hunted like a boss, but I like it a lot.

No ghost kissing yet.

Did you even TRY to kiss the ghosts?!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

What's the nerf to the smudge?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

It's very useful yeah. It can trick you if the ghost makes a sound directly to your sides because it can sense stuff 90 degrees to either side of you within, I think, 2.5 to 3 meters. It also now has a 30 meter range. But yeah it's mandatory first-entry equipment for my partner and I on the medium+ maps.

It's also pretty reliable as long as the ghost makes sounds for the mic to pick up, which we've had overall very good luck with. Rarely the ghost will be very very quiet and we'll have to do a second pass on areas we've already investigated (at which point I'll start using the thermometer to doublecheck suspicious rooms), but the mic's cut our medium+ map times down to sub-25:00 pretty consistently, and we're often in the 15:00-20:00 range depending on the optional objectives.

The biggest caveat I've seen with the mic is that anything below 1.0 (especially .6 and under) tends to be a red herring. IIRC Psycho's video says that ghost footsteps are .2, and the mic value is additive, so it's probably the ghost out for a wander or messing with you and taking a few steps. I have literally never once yet found any mic values of <1.0 to correlate to the ghost room location, only values 1 and higher.

If you get a reading, sweep around slowly and confirm the direction if you can, you usually get a short window where the sound is active to do this. If you get a reading but lose it quickly, be sure to check your sides and behind you. I once got screwed hard because I didn't realize the mic could pick up stuff to my sides/slightly behind, and I thought I was getting strong sound readings pointing at the boys locker room in the high school. Turns out my back was against the classroom across the way, and when we were setting up in the locker room and a hunt started, I tried to run into the classroom to hide and died instantly. I entered the classroom, noticed my breath (freezing temps), and saw the ghost flash exactly once, then I got the friendly hug.

e: here's our record 100% times for the bigger maps using the mic sweeps on first entry (my partner keeps track of these):

High school - 14:25
Prison - 15:02
Asylum: 17:19

e2: jfc I wrote all those words and only just realized you probably meant the sound sensors (omni directional). Yeah those are basically useless. The only time ever used them was once in Asylum when we just flat could not find any sign of the ghost, so I placed one in each wing on each floor and went back to the truck to see if any of them triggered. It DID help but it's definitely not a primary or even secondary strategy I'd recommend.

Man, I really need to play with you some time.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I played the Willow house last night with friends, but the level kept crashing and sending us back to lobby about 10 minutes into it. It was fun, great little house! I think this is a sign that maybe Phas is becoming more popular. I just hope they can keep up with the demand on their server(s).

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Was this you? I hope that wasn't you, cause that guy was an rear end.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

lmao nah, that was DanielSL/DNSL, he's got a couple youtube channels. He trolls, and I think he's hilarious.

I don't play like him if that's what you're worried about lol

Speaking of, my folks were in town for a few weeks but now they're gone and I should be free to play some time soon :)

Sweeet! I didn't want to bother cause I know life gets in the way. Hit me up if you're on this weekend!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

It seems to be less visible overall and it seems like ghost writing refuses to happen.

We got several ghosts last night where writing was one of the clues. Some ghosts just take their drat time writing something. This was an issue before the updates as well. Seems like we'd wait around forever, getting hunted over and over and it refused to write in the book. Very frustrating. I wonder if it has to do with the books location within the ghost room. No idea.

So, night vision is really crap in the new mode. Half the time when I put the camera down, i can't see anything in the room, not even the DOTS projector lights things up reliably. It's all black with barely any gray, can't see anything in the room. It's super frustrating.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I popped on a single player map in Tanglewood to see if I could quick and easy do a daily objective. Turned on the little lamp by the door, did my thing. Was in that front hallway investigating something, when the lamp goes dim. I start walking, and all of a sudden, the loving thing EXPLODES as I'm standing next to it, scaring the everloving poo poo outta me! I didn't realize that was a new ghost event they added :stare:

Oh wow! I haven't gotten any exploding lights yet! Jealous!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are the newest ghost types weighted higher or something. Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I swear, no exaggeration that my groups gets Twins practically every other match the past week or two. Like we play around 4~ maps a play session and at least 2-3 of them are -ALWAYS- the twins. It sucks!

I've found that on any given night, one ghost seems to always be more prominent than others. On playing 6 maps the other night, 4 of them were Obake. On a different night, it seemed like every other map we got a Revenant.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

We cannot find the drat mirror in our group. We triggered cursed hunts with the summoning circle (and died), used the music box successfully and not, managed to escape a cursed hunt with the voodoo doll, gravely misunderstood how the new ouija board functions next to the ghost, and had ALL sorts of whacky misadventures with the tarot. But the mirror refuses to spawn

I think the mirror is easy to miss since it can so much look like part of the decor. When we've found it, it was in the basement leaning against the wall by a shelf. It was only because I've played this game so much that I knew it wasn't a usual thing to be in that spot and happened to try to pick it up.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

the friend above the garage

I named him Kyle. I hope they never get rid of him.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Completely terrifying because in that house, there's a high probability the ghost is in those front bedrooms/hallways.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I got a chance to try Phas in VR this past weekend, and hoooooollllllly poo poo, it felt way different than on the monitor. Levels felt way bigger. Just did Tanglewood, but despite some graphical jaggies, the neighborhood actually kinda of felt like I was on a suburban street somewhere. Being able to get way closer to objects was bizarre. And lastly, I stuck around for a hunt, and was promptly murdered by the ghost. My buddy was recording me with his phone, and got a great vid of me letting out a scream when the ghost hunted basically right in front of me and instant-killed my dumb rear end :iia:

we're going to need to see that video. Thank you for your cooperation.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

So my 3 high school friends and I who recently reconnected and started playing video games a night a week to chat and have fun picked this up as a Halloween thing to do, and because we're sick of shooting mans or diablo for a bit

I was really, really surprised at how fun it was, I thought it would be a one night laugh but I imagine we might continue playing it for a while. It could use some better up-front tutorials and we did a lot better once we read a little bit about how the evidence gathering devices worked but its cool because unlike most horror games (at least on the lowest diff) it feels like you're drawing the ghost out which makes it scarier than a game where the ghost is always coming after you no matter what.

One time I had the spirit box out and asked "is anyone here" and all our equipment immediately went apeshit and the ghost appeared in front of us, so that was neat(the ghost room was the laundry room in the first level, guess he really hated clothes) but it blew our chance of finding the right ghost type because we were like yep put a checkmark on spirit box and that was, in fact, not one of its three pieces of evidence.

The best part was when we were starting a new hunt and I was talking about what was going on with my EMF reader and my friend goes "god dammit we sound exactly like those dumb ghost hunting shows"

Sometimes I like going hosting a public game and we get people who are super low level. I'm in the quad digits for my level so it's great to hear their new reactions and questions and be able to help them figure it out. It sucks that people kick low level people - we all have to start somewhere!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So just got done playing a new game called Ghost Watcher. It's like a combination of Phasmophobia and Devour. Still fairly cheap on Steam right now and still being developed. Bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun! So like Phas, you have to identify what type of ghost it is and there are various objectives you can do during the level. But once you've identified which ghost it is, you have to do certain things in certain orders and you can capture the ghost!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I logged in to see some of the new changes in the lobby, as well as get an idea for the new equipment. Was looking around, seeing if I could puzzle anything out about the runes, when suddenly I realized:

Where the drat hell did Steve go?!

If you're talking about the rafter buddy, we named him Kyle. I miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I want a spooky graveyard outdoor map, personally. Different sections can be different rooms, little crypts/mausoleums serving the same function as the bigger tents in Maple, office building, and gotta have a big rear end spooky tree somewhere

This would work with a little 2 room church with a graveyard right next to it, the kind you find in small towns.