Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This has been an excellent update. The campsite map is pretty nuts. Not sure how to hide in the tents since they all have windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Guessing via behavior is a bit weird for certain ghosts like Yokai (I think?)

It's strength messes with your sanity, but your sanity readout monitor is busted in Nightmare mode. It's still doable but kinda annoying.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did voodoo dolls ever get a use besides a free Interaction photo?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone used a cursed possession yet? I tried two rounds before work today and didn't find any to play with.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think you can keep poking the voodoo doll in the truck. Not sure if it still provokes the ghost but someone got hunted on while I was fidgeting with the doll in the truck lol. Might be coincidence, might not.

The mirror is really cool, and I like the revamped oujia board. Not sure how you're supposed to gauge your sanity without a Oujia board on nightmare though, since it's not a guaranteed spawn anymore.

I haven't gotten to try the Tarot Cards or Music Box yet. Eagerly looking forward to it.

I also like the new smoke effects and revamped footsteps. Also their front door fix appears to prevent most cheesing strategies regarding doors. Seems like they just spawn an invisible wall on the front door during a hunt now, and also you can't hide behind a closet door anymore on Tanglewood.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
To my understanding, the Mimic only copies characteristics of other ghosts. Not players.

Anyways, I found my first tarot deck. Let the pubbie use it first and he draws Death. It goes about as well as you'd think. Then I pick up the deck thinking that I couldn't possibly also draw Death right after. What would be the odds? Guess what happened.

The only one I haven't found yet is the Music Box.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The new Apocalypse challenge is only available in single player :/

I get it, it's more impressive to do it yourself but multiplayer is kinda the main attraction point for me here.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, as soon as I exited the van at .5 speed I had already lost all patience. I knew I was gonna die doing this, so I pictured myself sluggishly exiting the van over and over and just gave up.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Friends and I recently picked up a new phasmo clone called "Demonologist" and it's pretty fun so far? I was starting to get kind of bored of how sterile everything felt in Phasmo and it at least so far seems like it really shakes things up on that angle. Way more 'spooky' things the ghost can do, like run across a hallway real fast or trigger canned interactions with specific items on each map. Where Phasmo felt like it was leaning into the "what if those ghost hunting shows were real" in terms of mundaneness, Demonologist def feels like you're in a cheap horror movie from the getgo, which is a fun change of pace.

The objectives shake things up a bit too, missions have 3 stages, where you have to complete the previous one to unlock the next, the first being voting on the ghost (which has to be locked in), then 3 sub objectives (photo, etc) and then if you can do all those you can try to exorcise it (haven't been able to attempt this so far since we didn't have the equipment at the time to complete the second tier of our hunts)

Also funny: one of the ghost types gets pissed off and hunts if it hears your swear lol.

I've been thinking about diving into this, but two questions:
1) is there a ton of people playing at any given time? Phasmophobia has been very reliable in that there's always multiple rooms to join
2) does the game actively jumpscare your screen like Devour/Pacify? Or just spooky rear end poo poo happening in the environment?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

1. I see a decent amount of rooms whenever I launch, I can't speak to the quality of the community though since I only play with my friends

2. It's a mix. For every "spooky figure running down the hallway" there's a loud noise style one, there's really only one in the first map I find super obnoxious because the noise is waaaay too loud compared to the others but the others I don't mind too much and I say this as someone who really really hates jumpscares normally.

I should specify though the jump scares aren't like. Five nights at freddies style (not sure if that's what devour/pacify does but the description makes it seem like it?) but like, a loud horror sting as a ghost charges you or something spooky happens.

Yeah, okay, I was wondering if it was in your face FNAF jump scares or like "oh poo poo! it's coming at you!"

Forewarned was a pretty neat game but there's like zero public games going on, even when new updates drop, so I have no one to play with.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I really tried to like it, but it just feels like it's missing some magic juice that holds it all together. The later updates were actually quite substantial but no one's really playing and running around mazes isn't as fun as just searching a nice set house.

I might give Demonologist a shot soon, time to find out if it's too spooky for me haha. I still love Phasmophobia but I'm just patiently waiting for the next content update.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I guess it indicates that we're getting the new gear update in or before August at the very least. I don't remember if the roadmap indicated that we were gonna get in by August but this seems to guarantee it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Progression update hit a couple days ago. It has it's fair share of bugs but overall it's pretty neat.

Tier 1 equipment is rear end, which I suppose was expected. The Tier 1 DOTs is hella hard to use. Despite being stuck with tier 1 equipment, it sort of brings me back to the old days of launch Phasmo where it was a struggle to figure out the ghost.

I did get into a game with some high level dude who grinded out 15x or something, and he had some tier 3 equipment. The tier 3 equipment is hella friggin sweet. The tier 3 DOTs will illuminate the whole drat room and tier 3 EMF makes prowling hallways super reliable.

The shop system is still somewhat unintuitive, but at least there are item descriptions now.

OH YEAH. Smudge sticks don't grant invulnerability now. Don't run through the ghost. It just blinds them, doesn't make them safe to touch.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Wayne posted:

I played a few hours last night. I really like the changes of how the DOTs and UV evidence work. They're both way more intuitive and less passive. I'm on the fence about the gear tiers. While it's kind of fun being forced to use lovely equipment, I feel like everyone's going to get up to level 3 and just never touch anything below that ever again. That's a lot of work from the dev team on something that can easily be ignored after a few weeks. Maybe they'll make us use certain tiers for challenges.

I think the current weekly challenge is all tier 1 equipment.

There is a prestige feature too, so folks doing that will go back to tier 1 equipment again.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tier 3 firelight is the lantern, it doesn't burn down (can be blown out) but also illuminates a small room with reliable light.

Possible bug with it though, I heard it has collision with things like smudge sticks, so if you accidentally wave a stick through the Lantern it'll accidentally ignite lol

I'm finding voice recognition with cursed possessions kinda wonky though. In the past, Ouija Board and Monkeys Paw responded to be in a relatively snappy fashion. Now it seems to have to say things a bunch of times, and then the oujia board just blows up on me.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
uhhh, that sounds odd. I think part of the progression update is that we got clean slates. I don't think you're supposed to have money or items to start with?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've done some "No Evidence" runs now (10x on Tanglewood) and I kind of see the appeal of this "hardcore all-or-nothing" sort of gameplay, but it feels kind of a bummer to have all this cool equipment that serves no real purpose besides secondary objectives.

That being said, hell yeah grinding exp to level up woo hoo!~

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just unlocked NVGs. This completely changes the way Sunny Meadows and Prison can be enjoyed. Oh my god I love them.

I dread prestiging and losing them (but I want a cool ID card frame and badge)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to grind upward you can do 10x on Tanglewood which is my favorite. I like it more than Woodwind because you still get to play the game a bit instead of just meandering around in the darkness of Woodwind.

It's similar to that Woodwind setting except the breaker is On and sprinting is On. Your multiplier is like 10x instead of 12x but it's honestly still a crapton of xp if you succeed.

You run into the house turning on all the lights on the way into the kitchen, and then make your stand there. Primarily loop the ghost around the kitchen table. Breaker box is either in the garage or basement. Plenty of doors and stuff for ghosts to interact with.

If someone can bring a lantern, one lantern basically illuminates the whole kitchen so you can still loop in the darkness. Be sure to bring salt and a photo camera and load up your photo book for even more money.

Unrelated to the grind set, sound sensors are so dope now. You can listen for ghost writing and ghost foot speed in the van now. You're no longer useless if you get locked outside the house! And it's much easier to not miss a beat when using sound sensors to narrow down big maps.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Tier 3 sound sensors are directional too. You can right click to change the microphone direction before placing it on the ground. (Circle, 90 degrees in a direction, or like 45 degrees front and back)

And in the van, you can interact with the sound sensor screen to boost the mic gain (increase/decrease the area of coverage)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of running out of sprint: the tier 3 sanity pills (adrenaline shot) gives you 10 seconds of sprint- but I found out that using it *while* you're out of breath does not restore it instantly lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mercenarynuker posted:

Don't feel bad, my buddy and I are rubbish at it and hate hunts.

Also, the new T1 spirit radio seems terrible and unreliable as gently caress. Am I just using it wrong? Get LOTS of "ghost hears you", but nearly zero responses, even in the tutorial area

It's probably tied with the T1 DOTS for most janky piece of equipment. I think I read somewhere that the T1 Spirit Box has like a 3m radius or some poo poo like that. So you need to keep trying it or something.

Also I think something changed with voice recog in this update. The oujia board used to respond to my questions very quickly, but now there's a bit of a delay before it starts responding. Makes me nervous that it didn't hear me and I'm just waiting for the oujia board to break.

edit: I went into the game's store and the T1 spirit box description is range 3m, response rate: low. So yeah it's just rear end and you need to keep trying it.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 30, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They changed it to a button so that players would know the current reading because I guess the old version was hard to read. (It used to update every like 2 seconds but I guess peeps couldn't tell if it was a current reading or not?)

A lot of pubs seem to think it's freezing evidence when the t1 thermo hits zero C, though I think that'll smooth out as more people get to spend time with the game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Been playing Demonologist again with some friends and IDK wtf is going on because it seems there is no cooldown between hunts which makes the game extremely difficult once you burn through your sanity. Do not think this happened before (haven't played in like 6 months). You will just get chain hunted endlessly now, can't really recommend this game as a fun alternative to phasmo anymore due to it lol.

isn't that just kinda like Nightmare chain hunts?

Well, actually, I guess if the front door never unlocks then you're just sort of screwed.

I just got to Prestige 3, I miss my NVGs again :( I'm significantly better at no evidence runs to the point that normies pubs trust my opinion, but still not as good as those crazy dudes who can identify one of the 'boring' ghosts in the first like 2 minutes.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mercenarynuker posted:

I have no idea how you're able to do this, given my buddy and I constantly cocking up full evidence runs. What are you even looking at/judging around?

Note: Zero Evidence runs are usually conducted with 0 sanity for asap hunts, so sanity isn't something to track. Moroi will always be fast for example. You also want to hide behind a table or something that gives you room to maneuver if the ghost happens upon you (or a Deogen)

When looping around a kitchen or picnic table, stay crouched to cut line-of-sight or else the ghost will gain speed (unless you want it to)

So basically after the first or second hunt you can usually mark off a good chunk of ghosts just by hiding and listening to footsteps:
> FOOTSTEPS (SPEED)
- was it hella slow? Revenant
- was it kinda slower than normal? Possible Twins. Is the breaker on? Hantu because it's slow in warm areas.
- was it kinda fast? Possible Twins.
- was it hella fast? Moroi or Thaye.
- is it sometimes fast and sometimes slow? Did you have electronics laying around? Raiju.
> DID YOU BRING SMUDGE? Bait the ghost.
- Revenant will be obvious. Hantu does not speed up on line-of-sight. If the breaker is on, you can literally stand up and loop it around a kitchen table without sprinting. If the breaker is off, it'll be faster but you can see it occasionally have cold breath.
- Moroi and Thaye are similar but Thaye is faster at base speed. Thaye does not speed up on line-of-sight so it stays consistent. Moroi can speed up and has highest top speed, but when you smudge it, it's blind for 50% longer. Players say that "Moroi acts extra dumb when smudged" probably because it's blind for longer so it wanders around aimlessly for a while.
- Twins you sort of let hunt multiple times and listen for change in speed, and also if it interacts in multiple places.
> GHOST VISUALS?
- Phantoms "blink out" longer. If it's hard to visually track, it's a phantom.
- Oni "blink in" longer. It's really easy to see. (also they *never* do the ghost mist event, the one that goes HAAAAH in your ear)
- Obakes shapeshift at least once during their hunts. If the ghost model ever changes for a single blink, that's an Obake.
> SALT? (put it around your looping spot or it's fav room)
- wraith duh

All the above ghosts are "easy" where you can usually figure out a good guess in the first hunt. You can stay for objectives or bounce for fast money. You can also check for ghost orbs (Mimic) but that's up to you. The rest require a little more fooling around. You'll need it to hunt more, or observe for certain interactions. Remember to take advantage of between hunt cooldowns (25 seconds normally) and smudge cooldowns (90 seconds normally) Use a timer for smudges, it tells you when you're running out of time in the ghost room or if it's demon/spirit. Also timer starts as soon as the smudge takes effect.

- Spirit: Won't hunt again after smudge for a whopping 180s. It's very obvious.
- Poltergeist: Can throw multiple items at the same time, and also with significantly greater force. After a little practice you'll see what I mean. You can make a "polty bomb" by stacking a ton of throwables in a pile and leading the ghost into it.
- Banshee: If you have multiple players you can have people scatter and see who it follows and if it ignores other players in the open. Also it occasionally screams in the paramic. If you're hella ballsy, and you're confident that you are not the target, you can try to touch the banshee and see if it kills you. (Non-targets are safe. Target must be in the house.)
- Jinn: I hate this one, but you need the breaker turned on to figure this one out. It cannot turn off the breaker at all. Has hella speed up when far away, becomes regular speed up close. It also triggers EMF at the breaker box despite that it cannot turn off the breaker. Leave an EMF device turned on there.
- Mare: I also hate this one. It prefers to hunt in the dark, you can kind of "force it out" of a room by turning on the lights in there. It has higher odds of busting light bulbs but it's no guarantee. The best guarantee is when it immediately turns off a light switch you turned on. If that happens more than once, that's a pretty safe bet.
- Shade: Likes to be a silhouette more often. Does not hunt or do much if you're sitting in it's room. If you take a cruci and just sit where it spawns, it should like not ever do anything unless it changes rooms or you leave.
- Demon. Average ghost but the hunt cooldowns are significantly faster (60s smudge cooldown, 20s hunt cooldown)
- Yurei. Average ghost... but if you hear a nearby door get closed twice in rapid succession, that is a yurei 100%. Also the only ghost that can shut the front door without a ghost event.
-Yokai. Average ghost. Kinda unreliable but it can't sense you talking or using electronics until it gets much closer. This one takes a little bit of practice to guess.
- Goryo. Average ghost. Never changes favorite room.
- Myling. Average ghost, but you can't hear it until it gets closer. Opposite of Yokai but slightly more obvious.
- Onryo. Average ghost but if you find out where it's coming from, take a bunch of candles there and light them. It will be unable to hunt- instead just constantly trying to blow out the candles in the area. (Bring a cruci just in case too)
- Mimic. Figure out where the ghost is coming from and... take a video camera there.

I'm probably missing some other small tells for some of these ghosts, which is what separates hurf-durf-me with those crazy speedrun pros that can tell immediately in the first 5 seconds of the hunt. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but this is sort of like the process of elimination that I kind of follow.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I thought they patched out being able to touch a banshee as a non target, is that still in?

oh really? Was this in one of the recent 9 hotfixes? I mean, I don't make it a point to go touch banshees, so I'm not sure, but last week or two I had a couple instances where someone would swear they didn't die to a banshee.

edit: also in my no evidence runs, I personally enjoy doing it on Tanglewood, because it's very compact, easy to navigate and you can loop in both garage and kitchen.

Some folks enjoy doing it on Ridgeview because of the hiding spot behind the fridge (very solid hiding spot and always available even when you turn off hiding spots). They loop the dining table.

Finally, most popular online is Camp Woodwind. The double picnic tables is right next to the entrance, and if you turn on Foggy weather, it increases the multiplier and gives you night-time visibility. Also there was a exploit that got patched out where you could get on the picnic table. And another one where you can stand on the campfire logs. I think Woodwind is the most boring but it's the most common pub lobby.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man I got temporarily burned out right at prestige, so I don't have NVGs anymore :( Those were my favorite...

At least I have a minty green badge now! Gonna check out the halloween event soon.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
it was pretty sweet, but yeah, I liked munching on the candy in all the maps

bonus points when you had all these pubs who were unaware about the halloween event, so when you collected all the candy it would make a scary noise and everyone would freak out lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just saw that Phasmophobia has achievements now. They're on Steam now but not yet earnable (global achievement 0%). I assume they'll go live as soon as the console versions eventually go live.

It's like 80% easy stuff, 10% prestige grinding and 10% apocalypse challenge. https://steamcommunity.com/stats/739630/achievements/

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A new map would be really nice.

My own personal idea of something that would be cool would be like a museum. Clean and modern like the residential houses, but large like sunny meadows.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
outdoor maps are kinda wonky to me because the "rooms" aren't always so clearly defined. I guess that's part of the appeal but hm

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the competitors like Forewarned all have their unique take (or just HD assets) but I always find myself coming back to Phasmophobia.

New locales for the maps would be such a positive addition.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think in the old UI they had map size indicators on them all.

IIRC, Prison and High School are "medium" maps, because Asylum was considered Large.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, technically Asylum was the largest for sure.

But considering the movement speed and number of rooms, High School (and Prison to some extent) may as well have been Large too lol

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
100% agree it should get a facelift, and I think some more obstacles in the hallway would make it feel less empty (giving it... tactical options)

And also that without labeling, you have to look up a guide to figure out most room numbers for the weejee. Either label the rooms or stick a giant map at the entrance just like Sunny Meadows did.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The bigger the map is the less fun I find it. You move around so slow that I find it so much more tedious to get anything done. Does make for some good moments where you have no idea the ghost is hunting until you make a wrong turn down a hallway though.

The new tools have made the large maps significantly more bearable/fun (particularly NVGs, among other items like improved sound sensors and EMF3)

Move speed is unfortunately a bit of limiting factor when you have no idea where to focus. Playing the large ones without a cursed object kinda blows. Haunted Mirror is pretty fun for Prison/Sunny because it gives you just enough a hint to focus your efforts but without just blatantly telling you the room.

Mason Dixon posted:

The main change I want for the high school (and bigger maps in general) is being able to move the truck directly next to any map entrance at any point during the investigation, and add more entrances if there's currently only one. I can deal with long walks when it's part of investigating the location and has danger present, but having to repeat the long walk to and from the high school entrances is unnecessary and tedious. Maybe the idea was to give you a full view of the building and build some anticipation, but that would be so much better served by adding an initial cutscene after loading the map.

I have a feeling not that much thought went into the game design of high school, and it was more like "I have these school assets, let me just make what I think looks like a typical high school, that's a pretty good haunted location"

IIRC, DKnighter originally thought his Phasmophobia game was gonna be a one-off and he'd move onto other projects shortly after release- but he didn't expect the game to explode in popularity.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 10, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine if they added a new option in the ghost journal: "No Ghost- Not haunted"

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
New Year, New Roadmap:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/739630/view/3883856311504002774

Preview screenshots of the upcoming Point Hope, as well as concept art of the new Farmhouse reworks (to separate them more distinctly)

Sounds like 0.9 arriving next week when the holiday event ends.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
iirc the latest update post said they're planning to make glowsticks tier 2 lol

and the thermo is getting nerfed (which honestly kinda makes sense)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've always said since the game released that they should allow you to bring more than 2 glowsticks.

Although back in the day, the old Asylum was a boring looking maze and my intent was more for marking a path instead of finding evidence.