Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

dogstile posted:

Also Ouija boards can just take you out of the prep phase and immediately initiate a hunt.

From our experience, if you somehow manage to piss the ghost off enough that it would have triggered a hunt during the prep phase, it will instead subtract some time from your prep phase, which can leave you vulnerable to a hunt earlier than you think. Banshees are particularly dangerous for this; it's possible with unlucky random chance to have a Banshee rapid fire trigger an early hunt, drain the timer, and then trigger a second hunt before anyone realizes the timer was drained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

Motherfucker is one of the stronger attack trigger words! So yes, seems obvious why you would know.

For the record I work efficiently because I am a couple spooks away from making GBS threads my pants (metaphorically).

Story time! While playing last night with a group of friends after doing some games with goons, we actually got an intermediate High School contract with a ghost we know fondly despise called B-Ball Williams. B-Ball Williams was a right rear end in a top hat whose room we could not find despite sinking probably a 25+ minutes into the contract. At the start when we spread out I kept hearing the sound of a bouncing basketball like the one in the game lobby you can shoot hoops with. Regularly every minute or so for a while with me asking if anyone else heard it. I got a resounding "No" from my friends so I, spooked as I was, moved on as we kept searching for the ghost. I start making my way to the second floor from the right flight of stairs and notice two basketballs on the landing inbetween floors stacked up with each other. I radio my friends for them to come see, and I hear back that they found it and that there are THREE basketballs... except they weren't anywhere near me. The left flight of stairs on the opposite side of the school had three basketballs at the bottom of the stairs against the hallway wall instead of on the landing. Throughout the rest of the time trying to find the ghost, another two basketballs got rolled down the stairs even through three hunts from the ghost did to try and murder us. We all survived, gathered up in the truck, all agreed we couldn't find wherever the hell this ghost was hanging out to try and get evidence and said "gently caress B-ball Williams." We made a guess and went home. To this day, we believe B-ball Williams is still manifesting infinite basketballs to roll down the stairs of that high school.

(It was an Oni for those wondering.)

The entire hallway on Highschool is considered one contiguous "room" as far as the game is concerned. I haven't personally seen a ghost have its home in the high school hallway, but I've had it where hallways on other maps were the "ghost room" so it's possible that one of the hallways was the actual "ghost room", in which case good loving luck. If the ghost was based out of the hallway, then it could potentially be wandering the entire length of the school at any given time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

* You must start every sentence with the ghost's name

I'd like to point out that this might not do what you think it does. Effectively this challenge is "You can only say the ghost's name" since when you say the ghost's name, anything else the speech recognition hears appears to be discarded in favor of the angry name response.

In other words, if you try and get a response to a question by including the ghost's name in the question - "John Smith, where is your favorite room?" - the parser sees 'John Smith' and ignores the rest. It's much more obvious with a ouija board (where you can ask questions and get understandable/verifiable responses).

From some experimentation with single-player, I've come to the conclusion that ghosts leaving the confines of their room is very rare and only happens in circumstances tied to specific ghost types. If there isn't a sink accessible in the ghost room you almost certainly aren't getting the dirty water objective; the ghosts' general lack of passive mobility also means that in most cases finding the location of the ghost room is trivial even on larger maps. I can guess why this is the case but I feel like the overall game experience would be enhanced if the core ghost behavior left the confines of its room at all. Certainly the ghost shouldn't simply start in its own room, as it makes detecting the ghost room via thermometer basically trivial.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

SpudCat posted:

I've gotten killed through doors before, but I don't think that's intended behavior, unless lockers and closets are supposed to be useless.

Re: the ghost targeting is speculated to be raycasting to the head of the player model, which likes to clip through doors and confined spaces. This might be an explanation, but it's only part of one.

This is anecdotal from my own experience, so take with a grain of salt: doors (including closet doors, like the hallway closets in the house properties) basically seem to have only two states as far as the ghost is concerned - fully closed, and open. It doesn't seem to matter whether the door is open a little bit or all the way; if a door is not "fully closed", it doesn't exist as far as the ghost's movement and line of sight is concerned. You'll know that a door is fully closed because there is a "closed door" sound that happens when a door is placed all the way into the closed state.

Finally, Wraiths appear to simply ignore all doors (meaning doors, closets, and lockers) - these block neither movement nor line of sight, meaning that closets and lockers are very poor hiding places against a Wraith. While I haven't really been able to test whether or not Wraiths can actually travel through walls (not the easiest thing to verify experimentally), walls do block line of sight against Wraiths during hunts.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

I wish the game was slightly more explicit about the crucifix, since it's involved in an objective. Pretty much every other item/objective is reasonably self-explanatory (gently caress sinks) but it's just not intuitive that crucifixes need to be placed on the ground to work. Especially since the game - by design - gives you no feedback at all that a crucifix has actually done its thing. And with the ghosts properly roaming now, crucifixes are substantially less effective protection (and harder to get the optional objective for), so some text in game to explain how you use the crucifix might be fine.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

TheAnomaly posted:

In re: Crucifixes - if the ghost paths over the crucifix while hunting it will stop the hunt. The best way to use them is to chuck one into the rooms on each side of the haunt room, and run into those rooms when the hunt starts so the ghost has to path over the crucifix. Keep in mind there is at least one ghost that ignores crucifixes, and most ghosts have a second method of stopping their hunt.

This is almost entirely wrong and why I think the game needs to explicitly explain how crucifixes work, as it can be difficult for people to understand how crucifixes operate.

- Crucifixes do absolutely nothing when a hunt is in progress. Once a hunt has begun, that's it, the crucifix can't save you. Crucifixes do not end hunts. This is because:
- What crucifixes do is block a hunt from starting. If the ghost is standing within a certain radius of a crucifix when it attempts to start a hunt, the crucifix (silently) stops the hunt from occurring. This radius is larger for banshees.
- This is based on where the ghost itself happens to be located. The ghost is invisible most of the time so you can't easily get an exact fix on its physical location - tools like the motion / IR light sensors can help you track the ghost's movement but there's really nothing you can do if you, say, place a crucifix in the doorway to a room and the ghost decides to start a hunt while standing in the far corner, outside the crucifix's range.
- All ghosts have absolutely zero issues walking over crucifixes to murder the gently caress out of you once a hunt starts.
- Most ghosts do not have a way to interrupt their hunt early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Hell, I assumed the Banshee thing was only if its target was around it for too long. There's so much anecdotal information that I'd love for a way to find out rare abilities in game instead of just word of mouth, but I appreciate Phasmophobia is relatively obtuse to go with the theme of supernatural ghost spooky things.

Because the ghost is invisible and the behavior can only be seen (and intentionally triggered) when cheating to make the ghost visible, the Banshee's old behavior was almost completely unknown and almost never happened.

The Banshee would select one of the players as a target. While that player was in the house, one of the random behavior checks for the Banshee would be to teleport to that player. Then, after a short period, the Banshee would check for line of sight to that player. If the Banshee did NOT have line of sight to that player, a hunt would immediately trigger.

The issues preventing this behavior from happening and being visible might be obvious, in retrospect - the window for the hunt to be triggered was fairly small and specific, there's no clues or information indicating that any person has been targeted or the ghost has jumped to them and wants to keep them in sight, and players spend very little time moving around in such a way that line of sight to the ghost would be broken. Unless everything lined up just right, typically what would happen is the ghost would jump onto their target, who was investigating a room for clues or signs, and then go away after a few moments because the player wasn't moving around the house at that exact moment.