Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In VR, I now have muscle memory to throw anything in my hands on the ground whenever a hunt begins. I've lost so many lighters that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Did you play before the big VR overhaul a few months back? The overall experience is better now, but I'm a little nostalgic for all the jank that used to be in the game. VR players used to be gods with our glitching through walls, exclusive safe spots, and, my favorite, being able to have no hitbox if you would physically lie on the ground during a hunt. If people annoyed me, I would just lie down on my apartment floor and lead the ghost to them. And I feel like the game never loses its spookiness in VR, especially if you're the last person alive and are alone in the map.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I had a break at work today and walked around the new maps for a bit. Seems like they went ham with the new asylum. It is huge and looks to be packed with content. The new camp site is way smaller than I was expecting. Makes it seem like every hunt could be dangerous there. I'm pumped about playing later tonight.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can turn off hunts

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Graveyard, an old lovely boat, night at the museum. Maybe a creepy lab like the end of every resident evil

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I just spent some time trying to play it with a friend in VR. It's completely busted right now. After about 10-15 min, it would crash whenever I went into the van., and I have a very beefy pc. Guess I'll see if it's fixed this weekend.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

With how normal the new campsite is, I'm hoping the over the top Satan stuff is going to be a one and done. But maybe everyone raving about it will have some affect on future art direction

VR is still broken, so I'm not really playing much. But it seems like the last update broke a lot more than VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH-lpBhO1jM

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Have you been hunted by a deogen yet?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

And reset the map if it's raining

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a game in a public lobby with two people who said they were "real ghost hunters" and played Phasmo to practice. They took the entire game seriously and talked to each other like they were in those ghost hunting shows. They also wouldn't stop explaining to me how real ghost hunting differed from the game. It was hilarious and great.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Just be ready to explain to new players that stepping in salt and leaving UV footprints are different things

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'd be happy if I can spend in-game cash on dumb cosmetics

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhasmophobiaGame/comments/zkuhc8/tempest_major_update_v0800_patch_notes_transcribed/

Christmas event, Wraiths no longer step in salt at all, and the Rev is back, baby

quote:

Revenant

The legendary Revenant has been left behind in the ranks of the new threatening ghosts. So, we're finally returning some former glory to the speed beast, and adjusting how this ghost hunts, hopefully placing them back on the podium!

Instead of slowing down instantly after losing line of sight, Revenant will keep their increased speed until reaching your last known position

Their speed will now decrease gradually over 2.7 seconds (0.75m/s) instead of instantly

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I had a few fun rounds with it. One time the ghost ate the cookies out of my hand and scared the hell out of me. But I did have one game where the ghost was in a huge room and probably took 20 minutes to eat them.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That's awesome. It feels really good to figure out the ghost types in roundabout ways like that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

https://www.ign.com/articles/phasmophobia-console-release-date-early-access-launch

It's crossplay, so hopefully I can get my console friends in on some ghost action

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Is the game even playable on a controller? I've never played outside of VR, but isn't opening doors already kind of a pain with a mouse and keyboard?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a few hours last night. I really like the changes of how the DOTs and UV evidence work. They're both way more intuitive and less passive. I'm on the fence about the gear tiers. While it's kind of fun being forced to use lovely equipment, I feel like everyone's going to get up to level 3 and just never touch anything below that ever again. That's a lot of work from the dev team on something that can easily be ignored after a few weeks. Maybe they'll make us use certain tiers for challenges.

I play exclusively in VR, and some of the items are a little janky. Without having a viewfinder, it's difficult to take good pictures with the polaroid. And the matches require two hands, so I haven't bothered with smudge sticks yet.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I play in public lobbies a lot, and it's always interesting to see what people initially take into the map. A lot of people have things figured out. If I'm playing with a decent group, I'll try to grab a thermo or EMF and then wait and see what good gear hasn't been taken. But there's still a lot of people who will grab a lighter, smudge, and crucifix, and then confidentially tell me to grab salt and as many motion sensors as I can carry. Those games are actually a lot of fun, because those people get spooked the most

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's the cheese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgizYuP8SM

I joined a public lobby where people were using this strat. I played with them for a while and got a decent amount of levels. I also contributed by taking pictures each round. Not sure how much extra xp that gave us, but I was too drunk and bad at the game to actually be helpful in ID'ing the ghost outside of deo, rev, thaye, or obake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if they patch the tier 3 thermo, and maybe even the tier 2, to just be getting readings all the time like thermos were before the patch. Having to hold down the button each time you want a reading is such a downgrade, especially since you now need it to confirm freezing temps

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a bunch of public lobbies the other weekend, and it seemed like 2 out of 3 games were doing the woodwind fast xp strat. The results were hilariously mixed.

One random guy had obviously cheated to prestige level 20, because he literally could not survive a single hunt. But he knew what every ghost was within two seconds, even if it was one of the average ones. Kind of cool seeing all the badges at that level though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

If anyone else out there still plays this game, the Halloween event is pretty cool. It seems like they put a lot of time into creating it, so I'm a little surprised it didn't come out until this close to Halloween and only around for two weeks. They definitely tried something different for this event, and I think it mostly works. I wish there was some kind of interaction with the ghosts, especially after you finish the cauldron. Even the old reliable pumpkin head model would have been something. But the way the event is set up, it seems very separate from the actual game.

I haven't played a real game yet on the new Maple Lodge. I just explored it a bit while doing the event. It seems to have way less annoying hiding spots than the old version (VR controls never played nice with closing tent flaps). I'm not sold just yet on how dense it is compared to the old version. There was something great about bolting from the cabin through that open area with a ghost behind you. Now you have plenty of ways to break LoS. But it does seem like an overall improvement.

Apparently they needed to retool Maple Lodge because consoles couldn't handle the old version. I assume that means the console version should be out pretty soon.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I don't think I have it in me to ever prestige. I'm just going to be a guy with a baby badge, but all the money and items.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Speaking of maps, I would love for High School to get a facelift. It's one of my favorite locations, but playing it can be a bit tedious. Just adding some hiding spots in the classrooms would be clutch. And maybe visibly labeling classrooms to make the weejee board more usable.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think the haunted part is implied

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

There's a glitch on Ridgeview where you can walk through the kitchen glass door in VR. In an older version of the game, if you walked too far into the backyard, it would teleport you to the van. I used to play public lobbies with a friend, let the ghost grab me, then spend the last second or so before I died teleporting into the van. The randoms would find my dead body in the van, and my friend would try to convince them the ghost moved in there.

Now it teleports you to the basement, which is less fun.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I finally got around to doing the apocalypse challenge. I never thought I would, because it seemed really boring. But I played a lot of games with some people in the current challenge mode that's kind of like apocalypse junior, and it was really fun. It took me a handful of tries. I almost had it yesterday with an obake, but I filled up the book before I could get a picture of the ghost. The ghost I completed the challenge with was a phantom, so go figure. My game bugged somehow, and I don't have a silver skull. But I think that makes it neat?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I keep dying because of a VR glitch (or feature?) where I drop something and try to grab anything else within a few seconds, whatever I dropped teleports back to my hand. Last night I tried to smudge a ghost with a parabolic mic

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Classic maple, classic goryo. If the game considers that entire storage area one room, that's a decent amount of area to cover. Hopefully still an improvement from the main hallway in old Maple.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

They finally added guns to Phasmo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It's pretty funny that they have given up on a console release date. And I'm no software developer, but is it normal to go from V0.9 to 0.10 instead of something like 0.91?

The new map looks cool. I really like the idea of a vertical map. I also dig sprucing up the farmhouses. I like those maps a lot, and I feel like they're underappreciated. I just hope they don't go overboard with the horror movie trappings like they did with new asylum

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Aside from testing for EMF 5 and UV, events and throws won't generate evidence. However, the ghost is likely to remain near to wherever it just manifested or threw a cup or whatever, so you usually want to set up your equipment (book, DOTS, spirit box, etc.) near where the event happened. As long as the ghost is in your equipment's active radius, it has a chance to give evidence. So it's helpful to know where the ghost is mostly hanging out. Just be aware that the ghost may have wandered or teleported outside its favorite room to do an event or interaction, so you still want to keep your ears open for activity in nearby rooms.

And once you get to the boring point in a match where the ghost refuses to generate evidence and you're just standing around, that's the time to play with the cursed item and see if you can pin down the ghost type by its hunting behavior.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've always preferred using glowsticks, so it's cool they're getting a buff. I never felt like they were straight up bad like some T1 items. And they work great marking safe spots for new players and waving them around in VR like you're directing airport traffic.

Even with the nerf, it seems like T1 thermo is still going to be the least annoying way to check for freezing. It will just be slightly less useful in ID'ing the ghost room.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It helps that the colors are also on players' names on the board. I'm slowly getting used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I hopped on last night for the first time in a while to do the Easter event. The new ID cards are over-designed and ugly. I wish you could toggle to the old versions. But the actual Easter event was pretty fun. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong while playing single player, so I jumped into a public lobby and knocked out the whole event with some randos. Apparently you need to highlight the rabbit's trail from beginning to end with UV to get it to appear in its nest.