Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Oh hey! I was considering making a thread for this game, but looks like I don't need to now. :) What I will do is repost the tips I wrote for the Horror Megathread. This is for those getting into the game and are confused about some of the systems that aren't very well explained yet, as the game is still pretty early in its early access.

- First of all, use the in-game voice chats for the best experience. The game tracks what you say which is a huge part of the game.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time, especially if you read EMF Level 5, which is a piece of hard evidence. Grab the video camera and set it up to check for ghost orbs. Grab the book and spirit box and place them nearby. Granted, sometimes the ghost might simply be so passive it won't give any results for awhile, so sometimes it might still be a crapshoot, and you might just need to rely on moving the camera around and hope someone in the van sees ghost orbs. Once you're able to, buy the thermometer immediately and finding the ghost gets much easier.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- Lights need to be off to see spirit orbs, using the live feed camera in the van. They look like little fireflies and can be a little hard to see sometimes. Early on, one thing you can do is have someone hold the video camera (always make sure its one with right click, the light on the back will be green), and move room to room, and have someone in the van watch and check for ghost orbs.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and more will be added over time, such as adding more anger/trigger words like several cusses/insults. Don't use the ghost's name when asking any sort of question, as saying the name will simply piss it off and won't register the question asked. When using the spirit box, turn off all lights, though candle light will still work to get a response, and work to keep your sanity up. If the whiteboard says the ghost only likes it when people are alone, this simply means one person needs to be in the room, the rest can wait outside and nearby.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- Sanity reduces over time, draining quickly in the dark after a set amount of time once you begin the mission proper, depending on the difficulty of the map. This is five minutes on amateur, two minutes on intermediate, and no setup time on professional. As it gets lower, the ghost will get more aggressive. Also now, low sanity will cause all lights to flicker, with ONLY the insane player able to see it.

- The camera is your big money maker to start. There's a bone in every map(I believe, I might be wrong). Take a picture of it, then pick it up for more money at the end. Take photos of EMF readings. Take photos of fingerprints if they appear. The ghost visible? Take a picture if you are able to! Hear a faucet running suddenly? Go check it out, the water will most likely be brown, which you can take a picture of for more money! Also, one camera gets five pictures, so it might be worth someone bringing an extra camera for more photos.

- On the subject of fingerprints. Whenever something spooky happens, like a door opening/closing on its own, the ghost briefly appearing in windows, or the lights turning on/off on their own, use the UV light on the doors/windows/switches and check for green. They won't always appear though.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- For lighting candles/smudge sticks, hold it as your main item and hit F while you have the lighter as another item. I believe if you have a lighter as your main item and lit, you hit the same key to light someone else's candle/smudge stick.

- In the truck you have an activity chart. 0 means the ghost ain't doing poo poo, 10 means it will be in Hunt Mode and the walkie-talkie comms will be disabled, with the varying numbers between serving to show how active it is at any moment. At lower numbers the ghost might simply throw stuff, walk around audibly, where high levels it will more directly mess with the players, become visible briefly, make spooky noises.

- On the subject of the ghost entering Hunt Mode, if you know where the ghost is at the moment it enters it (you'll know as all lights, including your flashlight, begin flickering hard), you'll have a eight seconds to break line of sight and go hide before it starts to gun for someone's rear end, though smudge sticks will increase this time. It will hear you if you talk, so stay quiet and pray. Closets and bathrooms make good hiding spots. Also, all doors to the outside lock, so no escaping during the hunt.

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance when playing on a map with amateur difficulty.

If there's interest, I can do a write-up on all the different items and how to properly use em(to the best of my ability).

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU