Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like alot of the changes but maybe I just got unlucky but my friends and I have had a way harder time getting evidence to show up or finding the ghost room on certain maps than ever before. Seems like the ghosts wander way more frequently or something? Multiple matches where we got the ghost wrong becuase the third piece of evidence never showed up. Ever. Which led to alot of wasted time.

Does the Dot's projector mess with the ghost hunting? Our last round of the night the ghost room was in a bathroom, we set up a dot projector and I watched it on the truck for like 5 solid minutes while people did other things around the house and there was 0 sillohete at all (I know what to look for cuz I watched a video) but the door did creak a bit so I know the ghost walked in or out. (it was an oni so dot projector was the last piece we needed in that one...)

But anyways, more importantly it never hunted or even tried like, a single time. That is until someone went into the bathroom alone AND turned off the dot projector, we were all at 0 sanity and he stayed in the bathroom for a solid 3-4 minutes and it wasn't until he turned off the projector to move it that he instantly got hunted and killed. I went in to take a picture of the body and it also only hunted when I turned off the projector (which he panic put back up after the hunt started)

Maybe it's a coincidence? But it was weird to happen twice like that.

Absolutely love the changes to the hunt though, my only gripe is I think the radio static should also only happen when you're near the ghost so it still isn't a dead giveaway. The frequency of the hunt is a bit silly now though, had a round in the prison where the ghost would hunt practically seconds after finishing one.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well that answers that. Jeeze, at least I wasn't going crazy!

Oh another thing, maybe this was always the case and I just forgot but is the ghost like invisible way more often? Twice I got hunted and the ghost never visually showed up (was not flickering) so I couldn't even get a picture of it before it killed me. Wasn't one of the kind that aren't visible or whatever either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really love the new hunt changes, and honestly everything about this update in general.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

I'm not totally solid on not being able to tell at all if a hunt has started or if it's just a ghost event involving a manifestation with the electronic device disruption changes. I'd have been totally okay if it was a Nightmare mode only thing, to go with the other big uncertainties that difficulty uses to make the game harder. But for all the difficulties? Eh... I'm hoping the devs don't fall into the trap of listening to the vocal grognards that the game is too easy.

Def been having a blast with the update though, and the new campsite is very spooky.

I like the uncertainness of it. Being spooked/wary of a ghost manifesting instead of just not caring/walking towards it to dispel it early was super lame. Treating everytime a ghost decides to show itself as a life or death situation is way more fitting imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Thematically and for atmosphere? Absolutely, I get it. From a (personal opinion) game readability and flow standpoint it feels a bit bad though. I appreciated having a brief tense moment before the relief of it just being a ghost event, and the immediate "oh poo poo" moments of when a hunt starts. It also helped with not constantly being extremely stressed and let me enjoy the atmosphere more. Now you always have to be on edge that the ghost might be hunting, and that can quickly cause burn out on the atmosphere.

I have mixed feelings and I may come around to it a little bit more eventually, but for now I just feel real eh about it.

Ah, yeah that's understandable. Maybe they can make amateur difficulty work like the old kind to help ease people in or let you do a more chill round when you want, I feel like that might be a good compromise. I do agree that the game should not try to appease streamers exclusively and I hope Nightmare difficulty is proof they won't do that, since no normal person ever has to touch that lol.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

I've actually enjoyed Nightmare the handful of times I played with the usual goon group! It's cool having to guess the ghost type via context clues, and not being able to tell activity levels or sanity adds some interesting uncertainty. Overall I still really like the patch, there's a lot of fun new stuff.

edit: my fave moment from a Nightmare round. Saving your friends saves yourself!

https://streamable.com/xcx6ee

That is a powerful smudge stick play.

Good to know though. I'll admit I just have heard about Nightmare and didn't play it myself so it just seemed too insane but I might get my group to give it a try.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I've played a couple of times since some of the more substantial updates came out and was having a hard time on Professional, and sometimes even Intermediate, partially because I was playing with folks new to the game. We all kept dying to the first and second hunts and often only collecting a single piece of evidence and I wasn't have as a good of a time as I used to.

With the difficulty changes, new-ish equipment, and new ghosts, I've dropped it back down to Amateur and I'm having a much better time. My only gripe is that sometimes it takes a looooong time for the ghost to do anything on Amateur, which is somewhat mitigated by the hunts being more ambiguous now. So starting "fresh" is reinvigorating me.

Still hate the DOTS projector since I'm still not clear on how it works.

Put it down in the room, make sure lights are off and while you CAN see the effect with your own eyes it is much easier through a video camera screen. You'll see a canned animation of a ghostly figure running through the projector's radius if it's the correct evidence.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something I would really like to see is a timelapse map at the end of hunt screen showing the players and the ghost's locations. Would be nice especially for those matches where you feel like you have 0 idea what the gently caress the ghost was doing the whole time, and other times it'd just be neat or funny to see that while everyone was running and hiding for a hunt and the ghost was loving off somewhere completely else too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are the newest ghost types weighted higher or something. Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I swear, no exaggeration that my groups gets Twins practically every other match the past week or two. Like we play around 4~ maps a play session and at least 2-3 of them are -ALWAYS- the twins. It sucks!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, one's a "decoy" that does everything a ghost does but only one actually will hunt. To my understanding at least.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want them to find a way to balance large maps to make them not boring. I can't stand the prison and Asylum even though both should be awesome conceptually. The addition of sprinting a while back helped a bit but I still never play on them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like large maps in general are just going to be hard to design with how slow you move. Even with multiple exit points you still have to slowly move your rear end around the whole building or whatever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It'd be cool to have a backpack or something that could hold 6-10 items that someone could wear to haul to a distant part of the larger maps and plop down like a mobile equipment station. Can't use anything other than a flashlight while hauling it, can't sprint with it on, and putting it down/picking it back up takes maybe 1-2 seconds so you can't just ditch it at a moment's notice to juke a ghost more easily.

When it's plopped down it turns into a little shelf like in the truck, and maybe the ghost can knock things off of it or something? Having a backpack in general like that doesn't seem that unbalanced but I'm trying to think of ways to make it risky to have right in the ghost's room.

Yeah I think something like this would be a good idea.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen that happen, that sounds hilarious.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played for a few rounds with friends last night to get re-acclimated for the big update soon and wow, I hadn't played since like May or so and they really made the ghost AI way more drawn to technology than they used to. Ghost was hunting on the completely other side of the house and I did the ol "split second radio toggle" to see if it was still hunting and it immediately stopped patrolling and beelined straight for my location and got me. Won't be making that mistake again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Don't really like the new shop ui

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This release feels really loving buggy. Constantly everyone getting unready'd when trying to select maps, and we discovered randomly (altho only a few times this happened) one of us could not hear anyone on radio but could hear the others locally. Kind of a bummer

and this isn't a bug or anything but it was funny that we found the tarot deck and literally all but 2 cards in it were fools.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really love how much more objects are thrown around by the ghost now, especially when it's hunting and props are just flying everywhere.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a lot more creepy ambience noises in the Asylum at least, so I hope that's a trend going forward.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

With how sterile the other maps feel I'm fine with one being over the top, however I would be kind of bummed if they make every map like that obviously.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been doing some 16x modifier speedruns alone or with a friend lately to build up a huge cash stack and it's been alot of fun. You're almost never in actual danger of being hunted but it's still satisfying to get in, identify the ghost and do 2-3 objections and leave with 700~ bucks in like 15mins tops.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Insym released a vid a few days ago since he was told about the challenge early and managed to do it. It's really silly and requires alot of luck and patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ArSt7-aH4

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Here's the settings I've been using for 16x for very safe very fast money grinding if anyone wants them.

You are quite literally in no danger with these settings unless you get blasted by like a million ghost events due to bad RNG.
700~ bucks a run if you can do 2 objectives + bone + ghost.

Some highlights:
- sanity starts at 0 and pills do 25 so you just eat all 4 pills immediately so it's irrelevant (you can do a slightly lower modifier if you want to play with 1 other person by changing base sanity to 50 and both eating 2)
- breaker starts on so you just use a video camera to orb check/see in the dark as you turn on the lights you need so the 2x sanity drain doesn't matter. I routinely left with 80-90 sanity. You practically don't even notice the lack of a flashlight.
- no sprinting is a bit annoying but you just play in small maps like tanglewood and it's not a huge deal. In and out in 10-15mins max.
- doors start all shut like the old days so you can easily find what room the ghost is walking into or out immediately and get fingerprints/locate the ghost room with little to no hassle.
- Roaming is set to high for some extra modifier, but in my experience so far after a handful of hours doing this that it means the ghost will walk in and out of the ghost room alot, but mostly stay in the same area. I don't think I had any ghost roam to the other side of the house and make things a hassle even once. Maybe this can happen in a large map but I would not recommend these settings for those anyways.
- ghost is extremely fast and the hunt time is super long and you have 0 grace period but none of these matter since you will never get hunted

It's surprisingly fun to speedrun rounds with these settings and I've gotten like 20k in the bank and growing. You get like 200-300 dollars even if you only can finish like 2 easy objectives and don't get the ghost because you got your sanity too low and had to bail.

My only advice is to reset if you get like 2-3 hunt based objectives since those are basically suicide. Or don't and get like 200 bucks for just finding the ghost.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 6, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I've been there a few times lol. Tried the small campsite with a friend with these settings (would not recommend btw,) and both of us forgot our pills since we were chatting, got ghost evented immediately which made us remember and breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't a hunt then watched the gate slam shut quite literally the second the event ended and that's all she wrote.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I noticed that, I wonder what it is about the heavy rain

It's because a few of the maps have jack o lanterns outside so you can't light them if it's heavy rain lol. light rain is fine and the maps that don't have jack o lanterns outside can still be done in heavy rain.

Spent like 2 hours and got the trophy with my friends, was a fun little event I enjoyed it. Funny moment was in Edgefield it was a Raiju so we all got ready to take the picture for the finish and it just instantly annihilated all 3 of us before we could react.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Congrats gamer. I still gotta get off my rear end and do it myself, but sunny meadows is too spooky alone!!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This event loving suuucks. The Halloween one wasn't perfect but it was much better than this. Sometimes we spent literally 15+mins just trying to get the ghost to eat the cookies.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Friends and I recently picked up a new phasmo clone called "Demonologist" and it's pretty fun so far? I was starting to get kind of bored of how sterile everything felt in Phasmo and it at least so far seems like it really shakes things up on that angle. Way more 'spooky' things the ghost can do, like run across a hallway real fast or trigger canned interactions with specific items on each map. Where Phasmo felt like it was leaning into the "what if those ghost hunting shows were real" in terms of mundaneness, Demonologist def feels like you're in a cheap horror movie from the getgo, which is a fun change of pace.

The objectives shake things up a bit too, missions have 3 stages, where you have to complete the previous one to unlock the next, the first being voting on the ghost (which has to be locked in), then 3 sub objectives (photo, etc) and then if you can do all those you can try to exorcise it (haven't been able to attempt this so far since we didn't have the equipment at the time to complete the second tier of our hunts)

Also funny: one of the ghost types gets pissed off and hunts if it hears your swear lol.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

swordfish duelist posted:

I watched a couple videos on this game recently and it definitely looks really fun. I'm probably going to hold off for a bit since I'm a bit wore out on ghost hunting games at the moment.

I also really like how they have words scattered on items and saying it triggers stuff like opening up halls and what not.

Yeah the static interactions are cute, I like em.

Game def needs more variety atm though but hopefully it'll come.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

I've been thinking about diving into this, but two questions:
1) is there a ton of people playing at any given time? Phasmophobia has been very reliable in that there's always multiple rooms to join
2) does the game actively jumpscare your screen like Devour/Pacify? Or just spooky rear end poo poo happening in the environment?

1. I see a decent amount of rooms whenever I launch, I can't speak to the quality of the community though since I only play with my friends

2. It's a mix. For every "spooky figure running down the hallway" there's a loud noise style one, there's really only one in the first map I find super obnoxious because the noise is waaaay too loud compared to the others but the others I don't mind too much and I say this as someone who really really hates jumpscares normally.

I should specify though the jump scares aren't like. Five nights at freddies style (not sure if that's what devour/pacify does but the description makes it seem like it?) but like, a loud horror sting as a ghost charges you or something spooky happens.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

my friends and I bounced off forewarned but I liked the concept, haven't touched it in forever though so not sure how it's improved.

Something that Demonologist does which I like, is that some of the scares are individual, for example when we were trying to find the ghost one night this head just appeared out of nowhere in the hallway and would just look at me, no noise, nothing, turning its head whenever I moved. Neither of my friends could see it. That's the kind of stuff I love.

It's pretty goofy looking in all honesty but I dig the idea lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like all the crappy items except having to go back to the awful baby flashlight. I hate it so much

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My friend grinded up to 83 with a cheese strategy and i can't play without her now lol. Tier 3 stuff is so good. I love the NVGs so much.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

it's the same as flashlights, so if you're in a dark room you're losing sanity.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing Demonologist again with some friends and IDK wtf is going on because it seems there is no cooldown between hunts which makes the game extremely difficult once you burn through your sanity. Do not think this happened before (haven't played in like 6 months). You will just get chain hunted endlessly now, can't really recommend this game as a fun alternative to phasmo anymore due to it lol.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit I have not played that much nightmare (friends typically want to just play Professional) but you basically get less than 10 seconds between hunts now in Demonologist even on Easy mode, which is the real problem especially given all the time you gotta spend on secondary objectives.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Halloween event was cute, I think I like last years more from a gameplay point of view though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The bigger the map is the less fun I find it. You move around so slow that I find it so much more tedious to get anything done. Does make for some good moments where you have no idea the ghost is hunting until you make a wrong turn down a hallway though.