Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Watching streamers get trolled by a Wraith on the big maps is kinda entertaining.

"Oh! It's here!", set up in the room, and then spend an hour shouting the ghosts name at an empty room, and wondering why the ghost never shows up during a hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bioshuffle posted:

I ran into a weird situation where the only objective left was to set off the crucifix. We had a lock on the ghost location, and spent about 10 minutes trying to piss off the ghost enough to get it to hunt.

After the fifth round of level 10 activity, and having tired of cussing into the darkness, we chalked it up to a bug and packed it up.

I'd just say your team's sanity probably wasn't low enough, or a hilarious unlucky streak. The voice recognition parts don't seem to agitate the ghost in that way.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

dogstile posted:

Huh, that's weird, i've never actually seen that bug.

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

He's got a feature map/bug fix, etc up if you're interested.

Big agree on that entry for the thermometer needing a change.

It's way too easy to confirm the ghost's room even on the larger maps with it, and since I'm so spoiled on mechanics even if I relegate myself to Safari Guide (I got called Spooky Steve Irwin last night) I still end up teaching my groups too many good habits so one of them hasn't had to endure a single hunt yet.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

They could also add a standard stalking behavior to all the ghosts instead of just phantom/banshee/wraith, so you get some activity if you pass by where a ghost can see you.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SaffronKit posted:

reduces the safety timer (Intermediate to 2 minutes, Professional to no safety time), provide a multiplier to the cash you earn and make the ghost more aggressive.

During the safety time provided by Amateur and Intermediate, the ghost cannot start a hunt. It also tends to be a bit more inactive sometimes, with the closer to the safety timer being up the more active it can become.

Much like the ghost AI is a horrific traffic accident the difficulty settings are actually a little weird.

So aside from the safety timer, your sanity drain rate gets bumped at each difficulty, 1.5x for intermediate and 2x for professional. Which is likely what makes everyone say the ghosts feel more aggressive, since the ghost itself actually gets extra chance to be inactive no mater how much you aggravate it on the higher difficulties.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SaffronKit posted:

A ghost can also lock doors in the interior of a house. Source: a banshee locking the door to the garage when I was trying to provoke it.

Thankfully the non-hunt instances only remain locked for a time period so you don't end up soft locked if you didn't instantly eat all the keys in the house.

E: Unrelated, I learned yesterday that with the right circumstances, since outside is just another room, ghosts can interact with stuff in the van. I want that to happen more often.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 18, 2020

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bootcha posted:

Watching a lot of folks play the game, I think the one thing the game misses is coordinated "actions" in the process of ghost identification. In a sense, a full team activity and a 2'n'2 activity. Right now there's a solo spread out phase where everyone does something different to hunt for basic information, and there's the 3'n'1 where you send the sacrificial lamb to get a ghost to appear for a picture or a map objective. I'd actually like to see a seance circle mechanic in some form, with salt and chalk and candles. Nothing complicated, but something that requires all 4 people in one place that risks putting everyone in danger purposely, plus enough mechanical dryness to allow fun-havers to bullshit their own seance formula for entertainment.

As for what you can do in pairs, the idea would be less about "1-2-3-Go" actions, and more about putting a curtain between the two pairs. Maybe a mechanic that requires radios to be turned off and only local voice can be used, so something to do with EMF-esque poo poo, like some kind of spirit stud finder in opposite-ish rooms of the map where 2 players have to figure out where to stand and what to face in order to provoke a ghost activity. Bonus fun if the room has, say, a wood cutting axe in the room for possession-enabled spirits.

Performing a seance to get the ghost into the nearest toilet.

But yeah more stuff to do so you're forced to wander around the site more for side objectives would be good. Especially since while most people don't play this way the game will let you be ruthlessly efficient, and you can be in and out before even a Demon wants to get their hunt on.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

dogstile posted:

Yeah i played a bunch of games with vets earlier who would go in, figure out what the ghost was, do the easy objectives (smudge stick, motion detector, etc) and then just leave. Even on professional you'll be out before the ghost gets mad. Kinda sucked. I've had much more fun pissing off the ghost so i can get a crucifix prevention going.

Those weenies, you can get manifestation for pictures easy too. Ghost doesn't care if the lights are on, if it wants to manifest the lights are going off and all the doors are closing. Get spooked nerd.

Olesh posted:

From some experimentation with single-player, I've come to the conclusion that ghosts leaving the confines of their room is very rare and only happens in circumstances tied to specific ghost types. If there isn't a sink accessible in the ghost room you almost certainly aren't getting the dirty water objective; the ghosts' general lack of passive mobility also means that in most cases finding the location of the ghost room is trivial even on larger maps. I can guess why this is the case but I feel like the overall game experience would be enhanced if the core ghost behavior left the confines of its room at all. Certainly the ghost shouldn't simply start in its own room, as it makes detecting the ghost room via thermometer basically trivial.

Yep, I'll avoid directly spoiling Ghost AI stuff, but yeah the ghosts are 3-4x more likely to just go back to their room than they are to wander, and if they do wander they don't wander very far, which like I said earlier is why I'd like to see a behavior where if there's someone nearby they have a chance to just follow them around for awhile.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

veni veni veni posted:

Does asking the spirit box questions actually serve any purpose outside of just checking it off on the list/~immersion~?

Spirit box is just evidence. The Ouiji board is where the ghost lore questions get answered.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

GyverMac posted:

Maybe they could add an extra difficulty modifier you could add for some extra cash at the end. This modifier could make it so that the ghost has a chance of initiating hunts within the setup phase time limit, a chance of initiating fake hunts or something out of the ordinary along those lines.

And if their sudden internet fame burns the dev out there's always modding. The Ghost AI is implemented cleanly enough that adding extra behavior is trivial, and I am filled with dreams of all the stupid possibilities.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rexicon1 posted:

Man. What are the odds this dude is gonna do any of the stuff in that trello. If he’s smart he takes his streamer hype money and disappears into the Kentucky hill country. Because by the time he either staffs up and gets more people working on this the lustre will be gone

e: if he’s ballsy he makes something really special and unique that could stand the test of time.

From the decompiles it seems like they've laid themselves the groundwork to expand stuff pretty easily. Like I could just straight up drop new behaviors into the ghost with a mod with almost no effort.

That said being popular on the Internet sucks so taking their money and leaving could still happen.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Greader posted:

As for what I kinda want, I sorta hope there will be more things the ghost can do or interact with to basically be spooky outside of hunts. Maybe stuff like moving items/minor furniture around when no one is looking in a area so you turn around and suddenly there is a creepy teddy or doll on the bed you were just looking at, or your emf reader you put down is suddenly in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?". Also maybe just expand the range the ghost has on doing creepy stuff with telephones, radios and so on, so that it both has access to more things to scare players with and also make it slightly less obvious where it could be when you suddenly hear a radio go off. Basically, more of the low-key atmospheric stuff that unnerves people since i think that tends to be what really works best in the game, when you know the ghost is starting to do stuff close by but it is not activily hunting.

They actually currently do this one, just not in a directed manner. So you mostly just end up with props disappearing or showing up in weird places. Will hopefully be tuned to be slightly more intelligent with it.

And since I love talking about this game and peeling it apart. There is one bit of stub code I cannot wait to see finished: bleeding walls.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Heeey, any one up for a round of pharmacology?

Wait... that explains the sanity pills.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Update #3 is here. https://steamcommunity.com/games/739630/announcements/detail/2910974785798922912

quote:

Fixes
* Fixed a bug where the microphone would reset in the audio options each game.
* Several optimisations to help with timeout disconnects.
* Potential fix for anyone on a University internet not being able to connect to the server.
* Fixed a bug where dead players couldn't use voice chat.
* Fixed a bug where the Non-VR pause menu would become unusable.
* Fixed a bug where dead players were able to use the walkie talkie.
* Fixed a bug where you could take a Photo outside of Edgefield and it would count as Dead Body evidence.
* Fixed some spots where you could glitch through walls on Tanglewood.
* Fixed some spots on the Farmhouse maps where the Ghost could get stuck.
* Fixed an issue where you could change the text style of your name.
* Fixed a bug where VR Toggle mute was set to hold and not toggle.
* Fixed a Non-VR bug where the pause menu screens would overlap.
* Fixed a bug where rebinding drop to left mouse button would make the main menu unusable.
* Potential fix for save files being corrupted if you crash.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost wouldn't always lower the room temperature.
* Fixed a bug where changing the voice language wouldn't change the voice recognition language.
* Fixed an issue where your would get disconnected by client timeout when loading levels.
* Fixed a bug where your sanity would raise during a Ghost Event.
* Fixed a bug where the ghost death hands could be seen on cameras.
* Fixed a bug where you could take photos through walls/ doors.
* Fixed an issue where players with 1GB vram graphics cards would crash in multiplayer when loading into a level.
* Fixed a bug where the photo evidence names would be in different languages depending on who took the photo.
* Fixed a bug where your sanity would raise by 25 during one of the ghost events.
* Fixed a bug where the windows and door handles in some doors were still visible when you were dead.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost Orb would sometimes get disabled.
* Fixed a bug where the Smudge Sticks smoke would last forever if you swapped it into your inventory.
* Fixed a bug where you could get the temperature through the wall when you were outside.
* Fixed an issue where objects could fall behind the truck shelves and be made unreachable.
* Fixed a bug where several player sound effects were not being affected by the master volume.
* Fixed a bug where the push to talk button had to be held down for 1 second after your question for it to register as a phrase.
* Fixed a bug where the default items daily challenge wouldn't complete.
* Fixed a bug where the thermometer would set off motion sensors.
* Ridgeview: Fixed a bug where the ghost orb would spawn outside of the basement.
* Fixed a bug where VR players would spawn outside the Truck if they were outside of their play space.
* Ridgeview: Fixed a bug where the ghost orb would spawn outside of the basement.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost would try to throw items that were on the VR inventory belt.

Changes
* Upgraded the server code to PUN2. This should fix most timeout disconnects and all voice chat issues.
* If your voice recognition is working you can no longer get a response on the Spirit Box just by talking, it will now only answer if you asked a question.
* Updated localisation.
* Lowered the pitch of the EMF Reader sound.
* Lowered the brightness of the lights on the main menu.
* The Australia server has been removed from the region selection.
* Ghost writing will now count for photo evidence.
* The lobby room list will no longer show empty or full rooms.
* Lowered the amount of sanity that you lose during a ghost event.
* The Ghost Orb and Bone will now spawn more towards the middle of the room.
* If your voice recognition stops working the Spirit Box will default to giving a random response by talking.
* The room temperature will no longer raise over time if the ghost leaves the room.
* Most of the save data has been moved off of the save file to help with optimization and help prevent save files getting corrupted when you crash.
* The server invite code will now always be hidden by default.

New
* Added a voice sensitivity slider in the audio options.
* The text on the Spirit Box will say what the response said.
* Added a copy button for the server invite code that can be used when the code is hidden.
* Added text to show the server version on the server password screen.
* Added a button to enter passwords from your clipboard.
* Added LIV support for VR.
* Additions for Halloween.

Ghosts getting a lot more dangerous now that events don't raise someone's sanity.

I'm not sure how to read the temperature change it could just be bug fixing or making the thermometer slightly less useful, and/or more consistent. It'll make phantom, banshee, and wraith kind of a nightmare if it works like I expect, "Where's the ghost?" "Dunno, whole house is cold."

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

explosivo posted:

Is this on the stable branch then? My friends and I have been playing on the test branch pretty much since it came out because that's where all the updating seemed to be happening at.

Yes, that's a stable update so you've likely had most of those for awhile.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Uuuuugh. They're using the il2cpp build option in Unity with this update. Probably to kill the 40 person lobbies for a bit. Does mean I'll actually have to do work to gut and mod ghost behavior now.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bondematt posted:

The worst part is we thought it couldn't be the hall at first, so we checked every room connected to that hall.

It was such a contrast to the round before where we had a demon who would not stop drunk dialing us. Like seriously, please stop it's really loud and we found your room in less than a minute.

The school rooms really just need more interactable props, I think. Most everything in the classrooms is static, so ghosts have only the light switch, door, and the telephone to entertain themselves with.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

There is a specific ghost type that will immediately end the setup time when someone successfully uses a luigi board. I wanna say phantom maybe? Either way, luigi boards are incredibly fun in this game, and I hope the dev adds more responses.

Nah, that's just a chance every time you use the Ouija board. The only ghost with an Ouija board interaction is demon who'll spare you the minor sanity hit per use. (I think you can still get the majority sanity hit, which can happen instead of the lights flickering, or ending setup.)

And as an aside: just to put hunt behavior to bed (until it gets changed): It's a flat chance based on team sanity regardless of anything else. Demons and Mares just push up how soon that chance increases.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 5, 2020

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

My foolproof method of escaping the ghost if they've got you cornered. Back into a wall and look straight up. Give in to the cosmic power of limbo.

(May not be foolproof as the ghost only needs to be within 1m of your head to kill you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I sufficiently motivated ghost only needs a minute and a half to be ready to smoke your rear end through two crucifixes.