Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

great username posted:

So, started this up with the kiddo and a group of friends and we're having some fun, but my gamer brain is triggering a lot and I have weird questions that seems impossible to find the answer to in the AI algo slop and suppositional fandom wikis, so I thought I'd ask here and get some ideas, because while the experience factor is REALLY fun, I still want to "game" the game a bit.

1. Is the "ghost" always "loaded" in the house and wandering around/doing things? I know 99% of the time they're invisible unless they manifest/hunt, but aside from that, are they always motoring around potentially interacting with objects or creating cold spots or whatever else? Or does the ghost itself only prowl around when it's doing an event? While dead, I've seen it hunting others, it just would kill someone, vanish, pop out of its favorite room again, kill someone, vanish, etc. Is this cycle similar for events/manifestations as well?

2. Are events that can give "evidence" different from general events and interactions? It often feels like we'll catch something spooky, like something moving or being manipulated or whatever, and try to jump onto that area with evidence detectors and often get nothing, getting evidence often feels random/arbitrary.

3. Are objects being tossed/manipulated/turned on a different type of "event" or something very low impact? Aside from snapping photos, or maybe helping to confirm if you're in the favorite room, they don't seem very useful for anything.

I've got about 5-6 hours in the game, maybe all this comes with more experience, but I'm hoping to just get a handle on the gameplay flow better so that there's less wandering around feeling sorta spooked until you get a bit bored.
1. Ghosts are indeed loaded and lurking the moment you open the front door of the building it’s in - the ghost will remain still, invisible, and won’t interact with objects until you touch the front door. Events can cause it to “teleport” a short distance in order for the event to happen, I.e. if the event is anything but an “airball” (aka whenever the ghost manifests but does not hunt) then the ghost can simply teleport through walls to near a player. If the ghost is not hunting, it can also invisibly roam to nearby rooms or elect to stay in its room (this is affected by Settings for each difficulty, higher difficulty = ghost roams or even changes favorite room more often) while also occasionally interacting with objects in range of it. Motion sensors and salt are handy for tracking the ghost!

2. Events are restricted to the ghost manifesting outside of a hunt (so when it appears and stands still/sings/begins walking towards the player without a soundbite first to indicate a hunt then disappearing as they touch a player) or an “airball” (ball of fog the ghost launches remotely towards a player, note that Oni cannot do this event). Anything such as window taps, throwing an item, or opening a door is NOT Evidence but can yield an Evidence such as Ultraviolet (fingerprints) or EMF5 (~20% chance to occur on each action the ghost takes) if that particular ghost type has that Evidence. Note that some higher difficulties such as Professional allows a ghost to “hide” one of its Evidences.

Edit: Events can yield an Evidence if you’re wily - have an active EMF to test for EMF5 when it events and place Salt under the path of a ghost/under the ghost directly when it Events to test for Ultraviolet!

3. Items being thrown are handy in a few ways - EMF them to test for EMF5 evidence, it can indicate what kind of ghost it may be (Poltergeists rapidly toss multiple objects as its Ability, Twins throw one item then another close object in quick succession, etc) and are just useful for identifying what room the ghost is in at the start of a contract. Other than these, thrown items are indeed basically photo fodder for the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU