Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My friends are incredibly glad that I'll walk in and start screaming the ghosts name in an effort to get it to try and hunt for the crucifix objective.

I feel less bad about my girlfriend staying in the van and watching on the camera now that she's got all the equipment, less expensive of I die :v:

Smudge sticks makes a hunt take longer to happen, by the way. When a light starts flickering/front door slams shut get the smudge stick out, light it and book it to a closet, gives you a few more seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That happens a lot less often now that they've actually made private lobbies a thing that works.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xenomrph posted:

I’m the opposite, this game is fun but it doesn’t freak me out nearly as much as single-player horror games, especially now that I largely know how to avoid the ghost if it goes on a hunt.

There’s a couple pieces of equipment that I haven’t found a use for except to collect money for bonus objectives; the motion sensor feels useless because the players can set it off too, and I don’t see the point in the sound sensor/microphone or the infrared sensor. It just feels like the lower tier equipment gets the job done more efficiently.

They're for the bigger maps. Sometimes its hard to pin down where the ghost is so using the microphone to get a vague direction and then punting down a bunch of sound sensors can get you a fairly solid bead on it. Especially if the fucker refuses to set off emf/isn't cold.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not really, on harder difficulties the ghost gets mad at you pretty much the second you go through the door, so there's still a lot of tension.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Non vr yes, no friends no.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also Ouija boards can just take you out of the prep phase and immediately initiate a hunt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SaffronKit posted:

The unique strengths and weaknesses of a ghost can tell you some of what to expect out of them, it's the entry at the top that's important to pay attention to as well!

Also this game still has stuff in it that isn't understood like this:

is something I had no idea about. I mean I rarely if ever see a Ouija board in a location and haven't actually ever bothered trying to use it myself personally when we do find one so this would absolutely blindside me.

Yeah we only found out because i asked the board a question and my girlfriend who is always hiding in the van calling me a coward for not wanting to go into basements :v: noticed the timer drop to 0

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think it loses a little bit of the charm if you all know exactly what you're doing. It does become a very rote "oh that objective sucks, lets not do that one, ok we've got all the detecting gear spread out ok its here dump all the gear in here hello Maria Wilson Maria Wilson PLEASE HUNT SO I CAN GET 10 DOLLARS".

Basically i think once you complete a few missions it should turn up the spook and crazy. I hope the dev does.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, that's weird, i've never actually seen that bug.

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

He's got a feature map/bug fix, etc up if you're interested.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't like them just because it takes loving forever for anything to happen. Really wish you could bring at couple extra people to those maps.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's player by player, but my girlfriend's gaming setup is in the same room so even though she was locked outside, her shouting came through my mic and let the ghost know where I was :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It certainly would stop me from just scattering my equipment loving everywhere each time I think I've found the room.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i played a bunch of games with vets earlier who would go in, figure out what the ghost was, do the easy objectives (smudge stick, motion detector, etc) and then just leave. Even on professional you'll be out before the ghost gets mad. Kinda sucked. I've had much more fun pissing off the ghost so i can get a crucifix prevention going.

Also calling the ghost a stupid motherfucker can and will break two crucifix's and trigger a hunt. Guess how i know.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I haven't had any of us load into the asylum without a member of my group crashing, so maybe he should work on that :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We tried the asylum again. It didn't spawn the key and the ghost immediately was visible through the locked front door.

Alright ghost, we get it. We'll leave.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd like it if some ghosts don't get angry enough to murder you, tbh. Or different deaths at least.

Just a poltergiest killing me by beaning me with a wrench or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Greader posted:

Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?".

This happens :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Babe Magnet posted:

so did you hang out outside of the house for 5 minutes psyching yourself up or something because the ghost can gently caress with you but can't actually try and kill you for 300 seconds after the game begins on amateur.

Not even "after the game begins".

You have to open the front door of the house. Which means that all the powergaming nerds refuse to open the door until all the equipment is stacked on it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
OBS works just fine for me, i use it a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Drakenel posted:

I remember that generally throwing the crucifix in the middle of the haunt room is pretty good at nailing its first couple hunts, as the ghost usually fucks around in proximity to said room.

An extra important note is that the crucifix can only stop 2 hunts. Once it has, the crucifix disappears, and you can bet by then the ghost is pissed and will start again shortly.

Most of my experience with "get a hunt stopped by a crucifix" is i'll pop two down to cover a fairly large room, call the ghost a motherfucker and it'll break both of them before immediately trying to murder me.