Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Had the luck of having a group of people to play this game with. I can only recommend using the ingame voice chat, it is fun when you split up and hear the other people talking about stuff in the distance. And presumably spooky when suddenly you do not hear them anymore/hear panicked yelling.

Most memorable moment was doing a medium sized school. Split up into two groups of two, each with EMF and temperature scanner. We actually manage to find the ghost, do all the evidence to figure out what it was and except for some lights flickering it went pretty smoothly. And then we got to the van, saw we still had like 50% sanity and the question came up: "Hey, should we try and take some picture for bonus money?"

Cue three of us going back in, me with smudge sticks, one with crucifix, one with the camera (note: we got no clue how these work), one staying behind to watch cameras/too spooked to go back in again. We manage to get to the area where we saw the ghost and suddenly all lights begin flickering. One of us starts yelling as the ghost visibly shows up, camera guy takes a picture and the crucifix gets thrown as the ghost makes it's way to our front person. Sadly it didn't work as the ghost flickers out and back in to existence, and starts choking my friend. I throw the smudge stick down and try to find the lighter (did not know I could've just hit f) while my other buddy takes a second picture. It was all too late, and as my friend drops dead and the ghost disappears, we basically just start hauling rear end out while freaking out.

Final result: one friend lost some items, we got thoroughly scared and learned that sometimes it's not worth it to go back in. But we also got a sweet picture of a ghost choking someone, so maybe it was not all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Did another session with friends, this time in VR. VR is pretty strong since you can hold four items, two on your belt and one in each hand, and the items in your belt can be active as well. So you can have a flashlight on your waist to illuminate stuff, a emf reader to detect if the ghost is around and so on. Personal favorite moment was walking into a cold room with the book on my toolbelt, and finding after some shuffling around I noticed that the ghost had written in it while it was still on my belt. And kinda spooky, seeing stuff suddenly written in it. Only downside with holding items in both hands is that you need to drop something to activate the walkie-talkies or light switches, so if you are in a bad situation you better think twice if you wanna drop that lighter and smudge stick to call for help.

Biggest downside of VR though is that I am a coward and it only amplifies the atmosphere. Lemme tell you, exploring one of those large buildings was not fun, especially when it took forever to find the ghost so when we finally pinned it's location down, after spending most of the time walking through dark hallways (not even sure they had light switches at all) we were insane enough that the ghost kept going into hunt mode. And of course, since I did not set a mute button on my controllers, it ended up gunning for the guy yelling right inbetween everyone else. And of course as a die, I hear a friend go "if only I had brought a camera" :v:

But yeah, so far this is the best "dipshits try to play ghost hunters, sometimes get utterly owned" simulator. Not sure many other games can deliver moments like everyone getting back to the van, realising we still need to do some testing and basically no one wanting to be the guy going back in with a live camera. Or on a small map, trying to take a picture of ghost events so everyone is outside the room where the ghost is, in direct line of sight to the outside door and the moment anything spooky happens we just start shuffling out the door as quickly as the game let's us.

Edit: I'd love a write up on the different tools since I am still not entirely sure how some of them work/how to correctly use them. I have mostly just been tossing smudge sticks on the ground whenever anything scary happens

Greader fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 12, 2020

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
How effective is saying the ghost's name anyhow? I tried it a couple times but it did not seems to work, or at least have an immediate effect. Admittedly, I haven't tried saying it repeatedly/when sanity has gotten low so it might have just been a case that the ghost hasn't gotten buff enough yet to properly throw a tantrum

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
In a weird way I feel a lot of the jankiness and uncertainty kinda adds to the game. Like, having to go around trying repeatedly with a spirit box, putting ghost books in different positions, changing camera angles just in case a orb was barely offscreen, etc. kinda helps prevent the gameplay from becoming a bit too methodical, though it does get frustrating when a ghost really does not want to cooperate. Stuff like not knowing the ranges of crucifix also helps with making sure there is no complete sense of security, at least for me. There definitly has been moments where I felt that we had a crucifix in a spot where it should have stopped the ghost, and it did not.

Also, playing this game a bit more with and without VR, turns out one weird trick to be less spooked by the desktop version is to just play it in VR for a bunch of a session and then switch to just regular playing. Really helps you go from "I need to place a thing at the room at the end of the hallway, time to spend a moment talking some confidence into myself before I can even move" to "gently caress it, gonna load in with no equipment this round, stand inside the house with the photo camera and see if I can take some sick pictures when it hunts" :v:

In other news, seems like the directional mic can be useful sometimes, if you got a loud ghost or something. A friend took one on a mission into the school and basically got a reading right from the start, which let us find the spot we needed real quick. So I guess if nothing else, it might be worth it to bring one along and give it a listen to see if it picks anything up early on.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I swear, some ghosts are real assholes. Was doing a farmhouse with some friends, one of which has basically become our dedicated ghost agitator as he is actually brave/stupid enough to stay inside even with low sanity. He has been staying inside, yelling cursewords while I was cowardly hiding at the backdoor close to the ghosts room. Saw the sink go off and wanting to photograph that coupled with figuring that we should move the live camera to see if we just need a different angle for ghost orbs got me to step inside for just a moment.

So of course literally the moment I step inside is when a hunt starts :v:

Cue me basically running through the entire first floor up the stairs to get away from it, somehow surviving despite being pretty sure I heard the ghosts footsteps real close the entire time. The moment the lights stopped flickering I made sure to let my friend over the radio know that I blame him for almost getting me killed when I wanted to do a couple things and be out in a few seconds. And because the ghost is a jerk, on my way back to the room it starts a second hunt already, meaning I get to run back to my hiding spot all over again.

I did eventually get to do what I wanted to do (and turns out there were ghost orbs we could not see, so yay) but not before I hopped up on pills and told my friend with his 20% sanity to stay the heck outside the house while I go in (and even then, when I went inside the backdoor I could see him coming into the room through another door. Luckily no hunt that time, probably because I waited with my cursing until I was back outside :v:). So moral of the story: Having friends to play with can both be a blessing and a curse

(Honestly, I do appreciate him actually trying to make things more interesting because I am a coward who at the merest sign of ghost activity starts gravitating toward the front door/a hiding spot. Maybe I should bring myself to be braver... once I got some more cash to replace equipment with when I inevitably die)

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Joke option would be basically throwing down a short faq or whatever on how to let modders add their own poo poo to the game and disappear into the distance, figuring people can just make their own new content :v:

But yeah, I do kinda hope the game gets expanded upon because it is a legit fun game and I could see myself hopping back in once in a while to check new things like maps, ghosts and so on that got added. And if it really is as modular as people say, hopefully there will also be some modding done to let people finetune or add stuff. Heck, even just a way to add new maps would probably add a lot.

As for what I kinda want, I sorta hope there will be more things the ghost can do or interact with to basically be spooky outside of hunts. Maybe stuff like moving items/minor furniture around when no one is looking in a area so you turn around and suddenly there is a creepy teddy or doll on the bed you were just looking at, or your emf reader you put down is suddenly in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?". Also maybe just expand the range the ghost has on doing creepy stuff with telephones, radios and so on, so that it both has access to more things to scare players with and also make it slightly less obvious where it could be when you suddenly hear a radio go off. Basically, more of the low-key atmospheric stuff that unnerves people since i think that tends to be what really works best in the game, when you know the ghost is starting to do stuff close by but it is not activily hunting.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, OBS seems like the general recording software of choice these days.

Had a high school run a few days ago that went interestingly. Gonna spoiler it since it kinda ended up either proving or at least further implying some gameplay/mechanics stuff that people might want to stay in the dark about :

My group of friends has a few sessions under their belt now, which means we are actually getting half-way decent at dealing with hunts and figuring out ghost stuff. So we explore the school, splitting up in groups of two and just as we meet up around the south side the hunts begin. Only very faint footsteps, so I make my way to the van while the rest tries to pinpoint it a bit, and I notice we somehow already got down to 0 sanity each (Guess we might wanna turn on classroom lights when checking after all). They figure it is north, probably upper hallway and I check the cameras since we had a similiar situation before where we could spot the ghost coming out of the classroom and see where it is from there. And sure enough, it clearly walks out of a classroom and down the staircase, giving us the location of it's room. One of my friends was closeby too with a tripodded camera, so he quickly snuck one in between hunts, allowing me to see the exact corner of the room it appears from. So we know where it is, which means it is time to come up with a battle plan (after everyone got out safely).

The plan was simple: Since we weren't sure if the ghost hunts based on overall sanity or on the ones who are inside, we had me and one other guy take two pills each, all the evidence items we can bring along as well as a crucifix and then hope we can walk in there and have some time to do our job before it begins to murder us. It helped that I was in VR, so I could bring one more item along. The rest stayed back and basically were there to watch the activity meter/sit back and watch the headcams while we get murdered. So we assemble at the side door, step inside and already a hunt starts, which probably answered that question on sanity already. Once it stopped, we got out and made our way up to the room we figured it was in, and after tossing the crucifix into the corner where I figured I saw the ghost I asked where the camera was, since I wanted to double-check how it was oriented in case I was misremembering the corner. Turns out, the camera was a room over and we went to the wrong one, so I quickly got my stuff and went outside, trying to turn the hallway lightswitch on to preserve some sanity when the flashlight begins to flicker. Panicking, I decide the best course of action is to drop my held items and leg it south, away from the room and down the long empty corridor that is in the middle of the schools upper floor. Somehow, the ghost either did not see me or did not catch up to me so after it ends I went back to the actual ghost room where I immedietly toss the crucifix in the actual corner.

My friend meanwhile used the UV light on the door and sure enough, fingerprints. Finally, our first piece of evidence! Going down the internal list, I ask where the spirit box is only to remember I dropped it when running away so I go back to get it again. And of course, the moment I step back inside the room the flickering returns. drat crucifix did not prevent the hunt, which I guess means there is a bit more to it than just slamming it down where I see it spawn. I begin to move backwards away from the door, and see the blinking ghost following behind me, so I figured I was probably dead which I made sure my friend who was there with me knew. And oddly enough, after walking enough I actually managed to cover some distance, and it seems to lose interest in me and turn around. And I quickly realised why as the hunt stops sooner than it should: It went for my friend instead. Figuring this was enough, I hoofed it back outside and looked at the options we had left.

Admittedly, I don't remember exactly the options we had left, especially as the only evidence we had were fingerprints. I wanna say it was spirit, banshee and revenant? Anyhow, figuring we were done and some wild guessing cannot work I started to theorise: A revenant would have caught up with me, it absolutely saw me. A banshee supposedly only goes for one specific person, so it is odd that it switched from going after me to my friend. If there were any other options, I probably had similiar dismissals so I convinced everyone to go with spirit. And somehow, I was actually right! Despite technically only getting a single piece of evidence and getting chainhunted constantly we got the ghost type with a fairly reasonable guess. Too bad one of us died for the info but eh, at least it was not me :v: Felt pretty proud of that since in the past, such a ghost would have had us just go and call it quits before even really trying. That said, considering one of us died and we got like no other optional objectives, this very much was just for the sake of finally "winning" against a turbomurder ghost in the high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Been playing with my group again with the big equipment update and it's been pretty fun, though we had to go back to Intermediate from previously being All Professional, and even then we keep having some casualties.

Slowly going up the levels, and I appreciate just how bad the early starting equipment is and that it takes a bit to unlock some of the stuff we got used to. Not even having the crucifix available made some of the early game feel pretty dangerous, and made it feel noticable when we finally got those back. Speaking of crucifixes, we hadn't played since they added animations for them breaking and the "Oh poo poo" feeling when you hear the burning noise or the radio call of "Crucifix down! Crucifix down!" is pretty fun.

New Asylum map has been neat, though so far we mostly played on the small versions. First impression that stuck was going down the hallway with a buddy, finding a room full of blood and while I was busy going "Yo, check out the Blood Room" the EMF goes off in it. A few moment later a hunt starts and the ghost kills me. Do not mess around with the Blood Room.

The super small camp is deadly as hell. We occasionally go in trying to make this the run where no one dies, but have yet to succeed.

So far our biggest challenge is actually surviving a hunt. Not sure if we are just terrible or unlucky but it feels like whenever one starts we never manage to make it out of there before the ghost is chasing someone and catches them inevitably. We've started having someone with a Safety Smudge around when our sanity gets low, but so far it mostly resulted in the person with the smudge using it at the start of a hunt and running out of there scared while someone else who was closer to the ghost gets caught :v:

Overall been enjoying the latest update a lot. Though I cannot wait to finally have tier 2 flash lights, the basic ones barely light up anything.