Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if the game knows that you spoke but it is not able to recognize your words, it will use a default response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Speaking of which, we're now getting hunted like nobody's business. Not having sanity meds available when waiting around in pitch-blackness to check for Orbs or DOTS during attempts to locate the ghost room is brutal.

I hate Demons.

did they change the thing where holding a candle keeps your head lit, preventing sanity loss?

if they didn't, stand around in the dark room looking for dots but hold a candle next to your head

edit: the game never made this obvious, but the candle is a stakeout tool. once you have everything set up, you grab a candle, light it, and keep it in your hand so you infinite time to watch for ghost events and listen for specific behavior, if you were good about managing your sanity loss during setup

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 21, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

shiiiiiiiiiiiit even the act of needing to point a UV light at a door for a few seconds is risky on professional

I'm glad some of these changes are making the game less twitchy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How does the Night Vision Goggles interact with Sanity?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Revitalized posted:

Note: Zero Evidence runs are usually conducted with 0 sanity for asap hunts, so sanity isn't something to track. Moroi will always be fast for example. You also want to hide behind a table or something that gives you room to maneuver if the ghost happens upon you (or a Deogen)

When looping around a kitchen or picnic table, stay crouched to cut line-of-sight or else the ghost will gain speed (unless you want it to)

So basically after the first or second hunt you can usually mark off a good chunk of ghosts just by hiding and listening to footsteps:
> FOOTSTEPS (SPEED)
- was it hella slow? Revenant
- was it kinda slower than normal? Possible Twins. Is the breaker on? Hantu because it's slow in warm areas.
- was it kinda fast? Possible Twins.
- was it hella fast? Moroi or Thaye.
- is it sometimes fast and sometimes slow? Did you have electronics laying around? Raiju.
> DID YOU BRING SMUDGE? Bait the ghost.
- Revenant will be obvious. Hantu does not speed up on line-of-sight. If the breaker is on, you can literally stand up and loop it around a kitchen table without sprinting. If the breaker is off, it'll be faster but you can see it occasionally have cold breath.
- Moroi and Thaye are similar but Thaye is faster at base speed. Thaye does not speed up on line-of-sight so it stays consistent. Moroi can speed up and has highest top speed, but when you smudge it, it's blind for 50% longer. Players say that "Moroi acts extra dumb when smudged" probably because it's blind for longer so it wanders around aimlessly for a while.
- Twins you sort of let hunt multiple times and listen for change in speed, and also if it interacts in multiple places.
> GHOST VISUALS?
- Phantoms "blink out" longer. If it's hard to visually track, it's a phantom.
- Oni "blink in" longer. It's really easy to see. (also they *never* do the ghost mist event, the one that goes HAAAAH in your ear)
- Obakes shapeshift at least once during their hunts. If the ghost model ever changes for a single blink, that's an Obake.
> SALT? (put it around your looping spot or it's fav room)
- wraith duh

All the above ghosts are "easy" where you can usually figure out a good guess in the first hunt. You can stay for objectives or bounce for fast money. You can also check for ghost orbs (Mimic) but that's up to you. The rest require a little more fooling around. You'll need it to hunt more, or observe for certain interactions. Remember to take advantage of between hunt cooldowns (25 seconds normally) and smudge cooldowns (90 seconds normally) Use a timer for smudges, it tells you when you're running out of time in the ghost room or if it's demon/spirit. Also timer starts as soon as the smudge takes effect.

- Spirit: Won't hunt again after smudge for a whopping 180s. It's very obvious.
- Poltergeist: Can throw multiple items at the same time, and also with significantly greater force. After a little practice you'll see what I mean. You can make a "polty bomb" by stacking a ton of throwables in a pile and leading the ghost into it.
- Banshee: If you have multiple players you can have people scatter and see who it follows and if it ignores other players in the open. Also it occasionally screams in the paramic. If you're hella ballsy, and you're confident that you are not the target, you can try to touch the banshee and see if it kills you. (Non-targets are safe. Target must be in the house.)
- Jinn: I hate this one, but you need the breaker turned on to figure this one out. It cannot turn off the breaker at all. Has hella speed up when far away, becomes regular speed up close. It also triggers EMF at the breaker box despite that it cannot turn off the breaker. Leave an EMF device turned on there.
- Mare: I also hate this one. It prefers to hunt in the dark, you can kind of "force it out" of a room by turning on the lights in there. It has higher odds of busting light bulbs but it's no guarantee. The best guarantee is when it immediately turns off a light switch you turned on. If that happens more than once, that's a pretty safe bet.
- Shade: Likes to be a silhouette more often. Does not hunt or do much if you're sitting in it's room. If you take a cruci and just sit where it spawns, it should like not ever do anything unless it changes rooms or you leave.
- Demon. Average ghost but the hunt cooldowns are significantly faster (60s smudge cooldown, 20s hunt cooldown)
- Yurei. Average ghost... but if you hear a nearby door get closed twice in rapid succession, that is a yurei 100%. Also the only ghost that can shut the front door without a ghost event.
-Yokai. Average ghost. Kinda unreliable but it can't sense you talking or using electronics until it gets much closer. This one takes a little bit of practice to guess.
- Goryo. Average ghost. Never changes favorite room.
- Myling. Average ghost, but you can't hear it until it gets closer. Opposite of Yokai but slightly more obvious.
- Onryo. Average ghost but if you find out where it's coming from, take a bunch of candles there and light them. It will be unable to hunt- instead just constantly trying to blow out the candles in the area. (Bring a cruci just in case too)
- Mimic. Figure out where the ghost is coming from and... take a video camera there.

I'm probably missing some other small tells for some of these ghosts, which is what separates hurf-durf-me with those crazy speedrun pros that can tell immediately in the first 5 seconds of the hunt. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but this is sort of like the process of elimination that I kind of follow.

Jesus loving Christ. If the dead rise I'm going to shoot you a DM.

I hate to fill this page with even more length but I really, really want to quote this to save it. I've been struggling with 1 evidence runs, badly. This is solid gold.