Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo the update has completely changed how my group plays this game. We went from "Ghostbusters" to "Scooby Don't" overnight and it's genuinely loving brilliant.

Getting wrecked so many times now. We'd only had the game about six weeks and just before the update we were getting fairly good at quickly finding the ghost room and ID'ing the ghost on Professional (on suburb/farmhouse maps at least -- big maps were ball-achingly cruel on Professional) without anyone getting killed off, unless it was a Yokai or a Demon or whatever other horrible bastards can hunt early. After the update, we found ourselves getting bamboozled on maps as simple as Tanglewood, lumbering around in the dark like a bunch of mole-rats, constantly missing evidence and frequently wrong-ID'ing ghosts because of how utterly crap a lot of the Tier 1 stuff is.

No Spirit Box, no EMF 5, no DOTS = Wraith??? :dafuq:

Sure, we hosed that one up hard, but when your gear sucks and you no longer have every type of item sitting on the shelf it's surprisingly tricky to set stuff up to get the evidence you need, especially once the average sanity drops far enough for the ghost to start getting really lovely -- rushing back in to place another lo-res camera, read a slow-moving thermometer or check for scribbles in a cheap notepad, all while hoping the ghost doesn't lock the front door and start hunting, is a loving nerve-shredding experience, and mistakes are made!

Speaking of which, we're now getting hunted like nobody's business. Not having sanity meds available when waiting around in pitch-blackness to check for Orbs or DOTS during attempts to locate the ghost room is brutal.

I hate Demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The range/brightness on the Tier 3 flashlight holy shiiiiiit.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's the cheese?

Custom difficulty with massive reward multiplier, play on Camp Woodwind and guess the ghost by observing its behaviour during a Hunt. Takes two to three minutes. You're utterly, utterly gimped during each attempt but it doesn't matter.

It's not easy and demands some knowledge of ghost behaviours, but when you survive and get it right... :buddy:

Edit:
Here are the settings:
code:
Custom Difficulty: 
Player:
Starting Sanity: 0
Sanity Pill Restoration: 0
Sanity Drain Speed: 2
Sprinting: Off
Player Speed: 100
Flashlights: Off
Lose Items on Death: On

Ghost:
Ghost Speed: 100
Roaming Frequency: High
Changing Favorite Room: High
Interaction Amount: Low
Event Frequency: Low
Friendly Ghost: Off
Grace Period: 0
Hunt Duration: Medium
Kills Extend Hunts: Off
Evidence Given: 0

Contract:
Setup Time: 0
Weather: Fog
Doors Starting Open: High
Number of Hiding Places: None
Sanity Monitor: Off
Activity Monitor: Off
Fuse Box at Start of Contract: Broken
Fuse Box Visible on Map: Off
Cursed Possessions: None

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I am laughably useless when the ghost starts hunting unexpectedly. I just completely poo poo the bed and enter a blind panic as I lunge for the nearest hiding spot while throwing all my electronics away, because:
1) I'm usually the designated "van babby"* once we confirm the ghost room; I rush the camera and DOTS into place, lob a crucifix or two down in the general vicinity then sod off to where I can keep track of the average sanity and monitor cameras/sensors.
2) I never seem to have Smudge Sticks or whatever on me when the ghost springs into action while I'm in the 'hunt zone', and because I am an idiot that sprints around the map at every moment, this means I am almost guaranteed to be left with no stamina to even begin running away when the ghost shows up.

I also have some unbelievably loving terrible luck. If the ghost manifests for any reason when I'm near the ghost room, said manifestation is almost invariably right behind me, either utterly tanking my own sanity or killing me outright. I swear to Christ there was one instance where a Demon initiated a hunt with its bullshit ability and it practically fell out of my loving rear end; the lights flickered and the "death hands" were immediately on my screen before I could acknowledge a ghost was even present, never mind hunting.

And then we have Cursed Items. The one time I used a Voodoo Doll, it was the heart pin; cue the Cursed Hunt, and cue the ghost making a casual uninterrupted beeline for me. Even after ditching my electronic stuff and hot-footing it from the front door to the basement, the loving thing (a Hantu, FWIW) still closed in on my hiding spot, all the way from the kid's room upstairs to my lovely basement corner, with absolutely zero effort and I had no way to outrun or distract it at all.

The only Cursed Item that I use now is the Haunted Mirror, and even then I stand by the front door before doing so. This game hates me :buddy:

*As a result it's mostly all my equipment being used, making any given death double-painful for me, which in part actually leads to my panic :smith:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mercenarynuker posted:

Don't feel bad, my buddy and I are rubbish at it and hate hunts.

lmao

Every single time a hunt-related bonus objective appears for a contract, I mouse around looking at my group and say "I'm not doing that". The only dangerous one I take part in is the 'prevent a hunt with the Crucifix', and even then I often get cold feet depending on map/ghost type.

For reference, we're packing Tier III equipment for most of our loadout now. Even with all that, I will frequently chicken out. Why?

That's fuckin' why. It's always a Demon when I have to do something dangerous and/or stupid.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

For the T1 spirit box you really have to get into the ghosts face. I think the radius is 3m or so, and the ghost keeps moving all the time.

The T1 dots aren't half bad actually. It's more subtle than the T2 one. But you'll see someone moving through them regardless. And you can use them as improvised flashlights. And by placing 2 of them you can fill the entire field of view of a camcorder, so for the guy in the van it doesn't make a difference.

The T1 thermometer is actually significantly better than the T2 one in my opinion. And we keep one of the T1 glow sticks in our load out permanently.

gently caress the T1 flashlight though.

T1 Spirit Box is trash and those times when you're stuck between getting evidence from that or the lovely T1 EMF Reader (which can sometimes give a false reading of EMF 5 for a second or so when the needle swings around) is loving horrible. T1 DOTS was some awful poo poo at first, but within a day they were hotfixed to be placeable which made them a hell of a lot more useful.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Been having some comically awful moments lately. My group usually attempts a perfect investigation every time, and seemingly out of spite the recent secondary objectives have always consisted of at least one hunt-related task, usually in tandem with "witness a ghost event".

We spent thirty loving minutes waiting for a Thaye to do something the other night, and the one time we got back-to-back Deogens they each loving manifested right on top of our spot outside the ghost room. Twice! This was then followed by a Hantu which decided to go roaming and turn off the breaker mere seconds before a hunt, catching us all off-guard and making us look like total loving clowns.

I love this game :allears:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm no software developer, but is it normal to go from V0.9 to 0.10 instead of something like 0.91?
Yes, and no -- it's down to the developers. There's no single "correct" method of version numbering, and revision numbers don't necessarily increase like regular decimals. The 0.9 -> 0.10 format appears horribly unintuitive at first but all it really means is "this is how many revisions of the current major version we're up to".

Professor Wayne posted:

The new map looks cool. I really like the idea of a vertical map. I also dig sprucing up the farmhouses. I like those maps a lot, and I feel like they're underappreciated. I just hope they don't go overboard with the horror movie trappings like they did with new asylum
It's definitely an interesting idea, curious to see how it plays out. Hopefully not with everyone tripping over eachother on the stairs in the middle of a hunt :v: Really looking forward to the two farmhouses being updated to look and feel different to one another too -- they're by far my favourite maps and feel perfectly-sized regardless of difficulty or objectives.

As an aside, this game has absolutely rocketed up my most-played list on Steam after almost 230 hours in the last six months :wtc:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

great username posted:

So, started this up with the kiddo and a group of friends and we're having some fun, but my gamer brain is triggering a lot and I have weird questions that seems impossible to find the answer to in the AI algo slop and suppositional fandom wikis, so I thought I'd ask here and get some ideas, because while the experience factor is REALLY fun, I still want to "game" the game a bit.

1. Is the "ghost" always "loaded" in the house and wandering around/doing things? I know 99% of the time they're invisible unless they manifest/hunt, but aside from that, are they always motoring around potentially interacting with objects or creating cold spots or whatever else? Or does the ghost itself only prowl around when it's doing an event? While dead, I've seen it hunting others, it just would kill someone, vanish, pop out of its favorite room again, kill someone, vanish, etc. Is this cycle similar for events/manifestations as well?

2. Are events that can give "evidence" different from general events and interactions? It often feels like we'll catch something spooky, like something moving or being manipulated or whatever, and try to jump onto that area with evidence detectors and often get nothing, getting evidence often feels random/arbitrary.

3. Are objects being tossed/manipulated/turned on a different type of "event" or something very low impact? Aside from snapping photos, or maybe helping to confirm if you're in the favorite room, they don't seem very useful for anything.

I've got about 5-6 hours in the game, maybe all this comes with more experience, but I'm hoping to just get a handle on the gameplay flow better so that there's less wandering around feeling sorta spooked until you get a bit bored.

1) The ghost is always present in one form or another, even before you enter the house, though it will only become active once the front door is unlocked. How much ghost activity you experience depends on the difficulty, but it's always doing something. On harder difficulties it can/will roam around and change its favourite room much more frequently, which can make things significantly trickier. There will be those moments when you think you're perfectly safe from a potential hunt, only to realise too late that the ghost had decided to first wander off for a few seconds and then manifest two rooms down the hall before it breaks your neck.

2) Having the ghost play around with objects and light switches etc. is practically essential for EMF and UV evidence. Even without these, ghosts pissing about with things is a surefire way to say "ghost has been/is still in this room" along with giving some photo opportunities, so you can just pile up all your equipment and take it from there. Hide in the van to check the monitors and talk bollocks if need be! Ghost Events are good for getting a photo but not much else through the duration, because all your electronic readings just go haywire. NOTE: Some ghosts exhibit specific behaviours during their manifestations, be it an event and/or a hunt. I won't spoil any of that here though :buddy:

Unfortunately most of the beginning items are objectively (and understandably) poo poo-tier, and with other items still locked behind levelling up this can make early-game evidence gathering a bit of a bastard. A few dozen more hours into the game and you can start making educated guesses if the ghost is being a stubborn git, but levelling up and upgrading your equipment ultimately makes investigations easier in ways I can't even begin to describe.

3) Objects being lobbed/lights being switched are classed as interactions. 'True' Ghost Events are moments when the ghost visibly manifests in some way to toy with you and ruin your sanity on contact. These range from easy to miss things like "airballs" or just standing in a corner to be spooky, all the way up to moving around and tricking you into thinking its actually hunting just to make you poo poo your pants and waste items. Events themselves can't kill you, but they can indirectly make the next hunt harder to survive.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yep.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can't recall how many months it has been since the achievements went live, but last night saw the first post-achievement Revenant for my group. It was immediately followed by another Revenant, because of course it loving was.

In other news, is it just me or does Sunny Meadows have some sort of weird infrasound bullshit going on? Can run around Brownstone High without problems, and Prison might as well have Johnny Cash playing a surprise gig -- the map size isn't really an issue (outside of making it borderline loving impossible to find the ghost before the group's sanity is tanked beyond saving), but for some loving reason Sunny Meadows always gets me on edge.

Maybe I just hate the tedium of finding the ghost room, followed by the inevitable long trudge from there to the van and back every time this loving map turns up.

:shrug:

mercenarynuker posted:

FINALLY I CAN KEEP TRACK OF MY CURSOR

200% SIZE

BRIGHT FUCKIN RED

:haibrow:

I just wish that you could change your own player colour and that it'd stick, regardless of host; the current system is pretty useless if you're not P1, because even with a consistent group, players don't always join in the same order.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lmao