Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yooo! Our little group discovered this game a couple of weeks ago. We've been dumping entire evenings into this stupid little game ever since. The game loop is so drat addictive! And the fact that it manages to be both comfy spooky action as well as downright horror is so cool.

We were just getting 'good' when the new update dropped. Working with the limitations of the wonky equipment adds a new layer of challenge to the game.

What saddens me a little is that apparently the devs have no intention of allowing player-made maps. Not a big fan of the big maps on the bottom row, and the small ones eventually get repetitive. I think this game would lend itself sooooo well to importing player-made maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I like that once you've played with your group for a few hours, you emerge with a pretty efficient workflow.

Everyone grabs a flashlight.
One guy takes dots and polaroid and starts looking for evidence.
Another takes uv and emf and takes samples wherever something occurs.
The third listens for sounds, or walks through the house with a video cam.

Once the ghost room is located we basically dump the entire truck into the house, kit it out with mics, motion sensors, establish escape routes and what not. Guy in the truck coordinates, guys in the house take evidence and photos.

It feels really, really good to find your groove. Especially if two people can directly work together. Like one has the camera, the other the uv light. Or the guys in the house setting up dots and cameras so the truck guy can observe efficiently.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Level 30 :toot:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My friend grinded up to 83 with a cheese strategy and i can't play without her now lol. Tier 3 stuff is so good. I love the NVGs so much.

What's the cheese?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have proposed the cheese strategies suggested in this thread and was roundly rebuked by my party. They don't want chaos

We also tried the prison challenge for an hour (2 rounds) and didn't get anywhere

I think we must get way more comfortable with getting hinted and kiting ghosts around dinner tables

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For the T1 spirit box you really have to get into the ghosts face. I think the radius is 3m or so, and the ghost keeps moving all the time.

The T1 dots aren't half bad actually. It's more subtle than the T2 one. But you'll see someone moving through them regardless. And you can use them as improvised flashlights. And by placing 2 of them you can fill the entire field of view of a camcorder, so for the guy in the van it doesn't make a difference.

The T1 thermometer is actually significantly better than the T2 one in my opinion. And we keep one of the T1 glow sticks in our load out permanently.

gently caress the T1 flashlight though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Revitalized posted:

They changed it to a button so that players would know the current reading because I guess the old version was hard to read. (It used to update every like 2 seconds but I guess peeps couldn't tell if it was a current reading or not?)

A lot of pubs seem to think it's freezing evidence when the t1 thermo hits zero C, though I think that'll smooth out as more people get to spend time with the game.

That's the thing, the T1 deliberately doesn't hit 0C because that's ambiguous, it either gets stuck at ~1, or goes well below the zero line. Devs must have anticipated the confusion on reddit et al.

Professor Wayne posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they patch the tier 3

Comedy option: they make T1 lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There's a ton of of locations that would be cool.

Dead Mall.
Convenience Store.
Doctors practice.
Vet clinic.
Gas station.
Apartment block.
Hotel.
Any location that isn't American suburb.

IMO that the devs aren't don't see user generated content as befitting their vision is the single flaw of this game. I understand that it's an ordeal to give people the tools to create maps, and perhaps it's borderline impossible. But being limited to a small amount of maps is really the only reason for my group to try similar games like Demonology and Forewarned, which tbh we are only lukewarm about (at this point). We'd pay for a content pack. But unfortunately with how small the dev team is, it'll be a long time before we are going to see nieuw stuff.