Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this and played with a couple of friends tonight and it's really a blast. I am a huge puss for jump scares and appreciate that this game is spooky scary but there's really no cheap FNAF type jump scares (that I know of?? :ohdear:). The spatial audio stuff is fantastic, hearing the muffled voice of your friend in the room next to you talking in the spirit box is really cool and adds so much to the game. It seems like it lends itself well to streaming too which I imagine will help keep this game pretty popular for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's no way for dead players to communicate with other players who are alive, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was hoping at least your voice had a chance to come through distorted on the radios or through the spirit box. Don't make it super common so you can't annoy the piss out of the remaining hunters but let one word through occasionally. I think it's a weird balancing act because technically you should be helping since your teammates are the ones you're distracting so I think it's best they keep the interaction between alive and dead to a minimum but there should be something to do to pass the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played this last night with a friend of mine who was using VR and hooboy is it funny watching people move around with the teleport movement style while they're in VR.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowman posted:

Why not just let the ghosts talk normally? Don't have any filters on it and let it be essentially a radio for the dead.

I think the idea against this is they don't want people who are dead telling the alive players that you saw the ghost and it was cold just before you died and you saw orbs or whatever. It's not as much fun when you can say "ah I just died" instead of minutes passing before someone else says "oh god I think explosivo's dead"

Edit: unless you mean ghosts talking to ghosts in which case yeah totally

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think the promising thing about this game is adding more modifiers like that or new levels give it a long tail, if they added workshop support and let people make environments to hunt ghosts in that'd be awesome.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

👀

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantherWill posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some actual real-world locations to ghost-hunt in, like Sloss Furnace or Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Or maybe a map editor, so people can make their own locations.

Yeah, give people a map editor to work with and/or workshop support and I'd play this game forever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do ghost models have anything to do with the type of ghost it ends up being? Also do the different book writings depend on the type of ghost? My friend was swearing that the satanic imagery in the book means that it's a demon but I didn't think that stuff mattered because it'd be too easy to match it up that way instead of going through the motions of looking for clues if the book just tells you it's a demon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i keep accidentally calling this game "phantasmaphobia"

I did this for a solid week or two with no idea I was saying it wrong until my friend corrected me on it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unhappy Meal posted:

Update #3 is here. https://steamcommunity.com/games/739630/announcements/detail/2910974785798922912

Ghosts getting a lot more dangerous now that events don't raise someone's sanity.

I'm not sure how to read the temperature change it could just be bug fixing or making the thermometer slightly less useful, and/or more consistent. It'll make phantom, banshee, and wraith kind of a nightmare if it works like I expect, "Where's the ghost?" "Dunno, whole house is cold."

Is this on the stable branch then? My friends and I have been playing on the test branch pretty much since it came out because that's where all the updating seemed to be happening at.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unhappy Meal posted:

Yes, that's a stable update so you've likely had most of those for awhile.

Gotcha, good to know. It seemed like everyone was playing on the beta branch anyway because of all the voice problems with the stable one. Seems like people could probably migrate back now with these updates.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay, what the hell qualifies as a Ghost Event? My regular group has figured out how to do all of the current objectives (when they're doable at all) except the Ghost Event one seems pretty random or inconsistent. See the ghost nudge a paint can on the ground? Ghost event. Door moved slightly? Ghost event. Spooky sound? Ghost event. Noticed absolutely nothing? Ghost event. Ghost appears in front of you, hangs out for a while, does a mini photoshoot? No ghost event. That last one has happened to us at least twice, is a ghost event basically any visible ghost activity other than seeing the ghost itself?

I think it is exactly that, but the game is also still janky as hell and sometimes doesn't quite work the way it should.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You're right, it is kind of amazing what people are willing to put up with as long as the game itself is worth the bullshit. One thing they better never fix is the hilariously janky movement. Doing the dance of our people after a successful hunt is practically tradition now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, I've never seen one of these voodoo dolls and now I feel like I'm missing out. I'm going to have to keep an eye out next time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New patch went up today, they fixed the hosting so the host always gets control back after a mission ends :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bit of this for the first time in a while because my buddy and I both got Quest 2's and wanted to see how it was in VR. It's definitely a lot spookier when you're walking into a building in VR but the inventory system leaves something to be desired IMO. I kept dropping poo poo because there's really no feedback for when you put something on your belt to store it, and while VR mode does let you hold two things at once, you can't use the walkie talkie with something in your hand. So walking into a darkened building with a flashlight in my left hand and a thermometer in my right, to tell my friend stuff was happening I had to find somewhere to put one of the things down so I could make the call over the walkie talkie. Not a huge deal but a bit wonky. I probably won't be going back until there's been more changes to the game but not because it's bad or anything, we just kinda got sick of the formula after playing it for so long across a couple of weeks.