Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to play this in VR sitting down? I can offset the height in steam advanced settings, but it makes it impossible to pick up anything off the ground. Really wish this game had VR force powers that most games have so I could just fling poo poo from the ground into my hands .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also is the last person alive incapable of dying or something? it seems impossible to get killed after everyone else is dead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah my whole group is really good at checking out what is going on in the truck in general.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that seems like a good spot for the camera. Let me go to the truck to double check for the next 20 minutes. ***pshhht*** your sanity is lookin low. Ghost activity is 10. Just thought you guys would want to know. Just doin my part over/out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowman posted:

There really should be a way for dead players to play the ghost (minus the killing). I think it'd be a hilariously fun way to spend death by making the lights flicker and scaring the poo poo outta your teammates

This! The first time I died I got all excited because I figured I could mess with players. Being dead in this game is so boring. It'd also be fun if you could see the ghost while dead, but that would suck a lot of the horror out of it so I get why you can't do that.

You can talk to teammates while dead if you are using discord. Although I don't recommend it. First off, Discord breaks the voice detection stuff for me at least and I can't talk to the ghosts. It also just all around makes it less fun. The prox chat/radio combo is much more immersive.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

also some great body tracking going on

It's actually not that bad, but since there's no way to really sit down and play this game in VR currently, I immediately plunk into my chair after missions to give my feet a rest and throw my touch controllers on the desk and end up looking exactly like this.

They REALLY need to work out some sort of seated option for playing this game. Like all they need to do is add the ability to aim your hand at something on the floor and grip to hoover it up. Because right now there is no crouch button in VR, so if I change the height in advanced settings it's impossible to pick anything up off the floor. Considering how much stuff I drop, playing like that makes it unplayable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is there a way to actually "win" or officially complete a mission, or is it pretty much just do as many objectives as possible for the most money possible? Also how do you actually lock in the ghost type guesses? I will put it in my book and guess right sometimes and it still doesn't seem to give me credit. Is there something more than just marking it off in the book?

This games economy is kind of weird. Like, it feels like regardless of how good or bad a mission goes the amount of money I rake in doesn't vary that much. We will run into the suburban house, maybe get 1 evidence pic, realize the mission is going poorly, guess wrong, then come back and have like $40. On the other hand, for example, we did a school mission, got good pictures of the ghost, pictures of dirty water, fingerprints, most of the objectives, guessed the ghost right and I got...$65. If there is a way to really rake money in in this game, I haven't found it. It feels almost like half assing missions on small maps and leaving after 5 minutes with 1 or 2 objectives done would be the quickest way to make $$$.

Not that the point of this game is min/maxing, that is just dumb. But it would be nice if more effort felt more profitable. it would be nice if big maps like the school would offer slightly bigger payouts since they take forever. it makes it so people don't want to play the school or asylum, and those are my favorite maps because they are actually creepy, unlike the tiny suburbs houses. But they are inherently way harder and more time consuming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

But consider this - I want to play the high school or asylum because they are WAY SPOOKIER

I totally agree. That's what I'm saying.

But they seem unpopular for the reasons stated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo a good solution would be to include a rough idea of the quadrant the ghost will be in. Like, just include a sentence in the briefing that says "the ghost was last spotted in the library" or something. Then you can go to the library and assume it's somewhere within that region and it's surrounding areas.

I kind of enjoy how much searching there is but I have only played the school once. I imagine it would get old looking for 20 minutes before finding anything after a few times though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

abigserve posted:

I like in the bigger maps there's more atmosphere building and the ghost is often found in like, an old janitors closet or random study. One of the most successful things the game does is build atmosphere in a normal-albeit-spooky place (a house, an old school, etc) by there just not being much in there at all.

I kinda wish that, rarely, it was possible to get a house that just straight up isn't haunted, and "no ghost" is an option in the journal. Generally it feels like once you get the basic game mechanics down a lot of stuff gets less scary because you know there's a ghost somewhere in there so instead of being nervous about finding it, it's tedious.

Yeah, I am still figuring out the mechanics, and the number of ghosts is impressive, but it's got a real proc gen feel to it that is kind of predictable in it's unpredictability. I know it's always going to be some creepy humaniod form (often that feels not thematically appropriate tbh) and they all act roughly the same with varying degrees of aggression, most of the difference being how they respond to specific tools . I can't help but think much higher production values would be the thing that takes it from a fun novelty to something epic. Every time I play I know its just going to be some rotted lady with an axe or something and it gets my imagination going for all sort of possibilities that would make the game so much cooler. Like, finding friendly spirits that float around in the air and the goal is less to stay alive than get the best picture, 9 foot tall goat demons, ghosts can that hide under beds, walk on walls, ceilings (someone said wall ghosts are in the works though which is cool) different ghost behaviour...Say you see one all the way at the end of the hall in the school and it runs straight at you full speed. Different events that are more substantial than stuff moving around like windows blowing out or the sky turning red outside. The possibilities for cool stuff seems endless.

I realize this is a $13 early access indie game though and what they have put on the table is still impressive.But I think the idea is so good, someone who can make something a lot more polished and robust is going to come alone sooner than later. it feels like the framework for something great that will probably spawn a lot of clones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The obvious solution for the high school and asylum is to have multiple ghosts.

Actually yeah this would be good to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does other people blabbing while you are being hunted actually affect your likeliness of getting killed or it is on a player by player basis?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can the ghosts actually lock doors on hard difficulties? On amateur at least, they just close them. Although the games controls are so fumbly sometimes it feels like getting locked in regardless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How long do they lock for? When the exit doors shut I usually fumble around with them for a few seconds and they open.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does asking the spirit box questions actually serve any purpose outside of just checking it off on the list/~immersion~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 3, 2020