Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Encirclement talk around 4 mins in
Victory points produce a limited amount of supply. So places like Badajoz and Oviedo produce some basic supplies if you hold them. This means that a city with like 40 VP that isn't the country capital can hold ridiculously well under the right circumstances, even when fully cut off from the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

turol posted:

Phrasing!

I tried some games as Germany and bounced pretty hard off HoI4 after getting my rear end kicked. I'm currently playing the new patch of Stellaris but will try this game again after watching some more of your LP. Maybe I can actually figure out how it works.

I strongly recommend doing an USSR run (with historical focuses) as a newbie's first attempt at HoI4. Germany is the primary "driver" of WW2, and playing as them sort of requires you to already know all the key systems in the game, and for you to actively be involved in making things happen. As Russia, you can sort of let things happen to you, which lets you learn the key systems one at a time, instead of all at once. Also, you have serious strategic depth, so you can learn from your mistakes without save/reload, and fix them for the next defense line.

Also, if your first run is Russia you get to experience the eastern front the proper way -- desperate defense against a seemingly unstoppable force, slowly grinding it down until it starts collapsing and then fighting it back into it's lair. You will never have that experience again, simply because the HoI4 AI isn't good enough to do that to a good player Russia, you can beat it without ever losing control of a single province.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lynneth posted:

Victory points produce a limited amount of supply. So places like Badajoz and Oviedo produce some basic supplies if you hold them. This means that a city with like 40 VP that isn't the country capital can hold ridiculously well under the right circumstances, even when fully cut off from the rest of the country.

Huh. I've never really experienced that mattering majorly where I thought to myself "wow, how are these guys still going, they should be out of supply", but it does kinda explain some things.

See, this is why I say not to take this LP as a tutorial.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What encircling really does is prevent replacements and reinforcements from reaching divisions. Losses of men and equipment are constant and unavoidable; if a division can't reinforce it will quickly become ineffective.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

wiegieman posted:

What encircling really does is prevent replacements and reinforcements from reaching divisions. Losses of men and equipment are constant and unavoidable; if a division can't reinforce it will quickly become ineffective.

True, and for whatever reason leaving a unit alone to rot when encircled can lower its org faster than attacking it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

wiegieman posted:

Arbite posted:

True, and for whatever reason leaving a unit alone to rot when encircled can lower its org faster than attacking it.

Good to know. As you might notice, I am not a smart man, and as such, my knowledge of HoI4 encirclements is something along the lines of "encircled enemies = good; if troops have port = not encircled, take port to stop supply".

Still, that's a workable level of knowledge.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With the Spanish Civil War done, it's time we turn our eyes towards our own territorial expansion. However, we're not going to be kicking off wars just yet - at least hopefully. For now, we'll just demand land and see what happens.

Note: My headset mic is a temperamental thing, and as such, even with leveling, some of the audio in this video in particular gets a bit too close to weird ASMR territory. Alas, not much I can do now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What would be the important DLC to get if everything was on sale?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

What would be the important DLC to get if everything was on sale?

Waking the tiger

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Arbite posted:

That's Attrition, which is a specific thing that happens in HoI4 that reduces Org and destroys Equipment (infantry weapons, supp equipment, tanks, trucks, artillery, etc) reducing Strength and with it a division's combat stats (and if they run out of tanks and motorized, their speed.) One source of Attrition is running out of supply, another is difficult terrain and bad weather.

You can counter Attrition with high Reliability values on your equipment or with some support/doctrine choices, but it's difficult to get rid of it completely. The short version is: keep reliability high, keep production up, keep units in supply, keep out of lovely terrain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With the Anschluss done, we now start moving in the direction of countries where we might run into trouble. Plus, we take a trip back to our school days and remember what we were taught about WW2.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

The war with Poland comes closer, but for now, we're still trying to expand diplomatically. Also, a new potential competitor alliance bloc makes its appearance!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Despite the greater power of Germany and rising world tensions, that global counter managed to roll back at the end.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

We're still waiting for Poland to make its own faction so the war becomes easier without France intervening.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kneel before zog

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Should you try training your new divisions and build up some land xp?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Scalding Coffee posted:

Should you try training your new divisions and build up some land xp?

It's a thing I can do, but at that point I'm more interested in getting my produced equipment into new divisions, so having my existing divisions run training and burn through some equipment with attrition isn't what I'm after right now. I'm sure there is some sort of calculation you can make whether training is worthwhile and when it isn't, but I can't be hosed to work that out right now.

Besides, once we get into the actual war, we'll have a ton of land XP just from combat.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Italy does a dumb this time, and we don't get involved. Instead, we take care of Poland.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What are the glowing dots on the map surrounding what I think are cities/squares?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Scalding Coffee posted:

What are the glowing dots on the map surrounding what I think are cities/squares?

Could you give me a screenshot or something pointing out what you mean? I can't exactly place what you mean by that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 11, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, those. I don't even notice those anymore. Those are just supposed to be city lights, entirely cosmetic.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Good playthrough so far, and your taste in pinball music is :golfclap:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gideon020 posted:

Good playthrough so far, and your taste in pinball music is :golfclap:

I really need to sit down some time and actually upload some new pinball music stuff. It's been years since my public facing YouTube side has seen anything. Maybe when I'm on vacation around Christmas.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can barely hear the music. What I didn't hear was something like Black Knight 2000 or Addams Family.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Scalding Coffee posted:

I can barely hear the music. What I didn't hear was something like Black Knight 2000 or Addams Family.

They weren't talking about the video, but the public facing side of my YouTube channel, where I have a collection of pinball music uploaded.

EDIT: The music in the videos is intentionally held fairly sedate since it's not like we're talking loudly, and it's just supposed to be something in the background because otherwise there'd be silence. Here's what I've been using so far:

quote:

Episode 1: haircuts for men - когда зло господствует (Tracks 1 through 8)
Episode 2: VA-11-HALL-A - Prologue (entire album)
Episode 3: Tetris (CD-I) (entire album)
Episode 4: haircuts for men - 大理石のファンタジー (Tracks 1 through 7)
Episode 5: Anno 1602: Creation of a New World (entire album minus fight music)
Episode 6: Age of Empires (in-game soundtrack) + Age of Empires: Rise of Rome (in-game soundtrack)
Episode 7: Omerta: City of Gangsters (Tracks 1 through 9)
Episode 8: haircuts for men - EARLY TAPE WORKS (1981 - 1984) VOL.1
Episode 9: Super Mario World Arranged
Episode 10: Victoria 2
Episode 11: Sim City 3000

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 17, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

We decide that we can help Italy out a bit this time, and as a result, we take a slightly different route than one might have expected.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those oil techs really kept up with the increased demand. Only a fraction got used up compared to the Spanish campaign and that was with a couple techs researched. Does it count how many planes you lost in the campaign?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheMcD posted:

They weren't talking about the video, but the public facing side of my YouTube channel, where I have a collection of pinball music uploaded.

EDIT: The music in the videos is intentionally held fairly sedate since it's not like we're talking loudly, and it's just supposed to be something in the background because otherwise there'd be silence. Here's what I've been using so far:

Thank you for this list.

The only music I recognized was super mario world arranged, but it's all very good and feels pretty appropriate for the kind of stream this is

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Why didn't you send your submarines to raid around the British Isles? You could start choking out their resources.

Also at some point you mention not wanting to trade with convoys because they'd have to go through the English channel. But I think there's a way to forbid convoys from using certain sea zones so that shouldn't be a (big) problem. I don't know what it is since I haven't actually done it but I saw someone do it on video.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

turol posted:

Why didn't you send your submarines to raid around the British Isles? You could start choking out their resources.

Also at some point you mention not wanting to trade with convoys because they'd have to go through the English channel. But I think there's a way to forbid convoys from using certain sea zones so that shouldn't be a (big) problem. I don't know what it is since I haven't actually done it but I saw someone do it on video.

Simple answer, I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing with navy. Right now, my only thought about my navy is "I leave them in the ports because otherwise they eat up oil I need for my tanks to drive".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/394360/Hearts_of_Iron_IV/

The Steam Winter Sale has Hearts of Iron IV at $10, which is a whopping 75% discount.

I look forward to mobilizing my anime tank platoons to threaten Romainia sometime soon.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With France out of the picture, we're left with the Balkans to mop up. But then, a great complication ensues.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I own this and have never, ever played vanilla once. I picked it up just to play Old World Blues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless you can get another half million people to enlist, you are going to run out of replacement soldiers in a war with the commies. Maybe try going behind most of their forces with a deep invasion.

edit: Replacing a support unit for an additional Field Hospital unit will help with replacing soldiers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 26, 2020

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
On occupation: With the appropriate DLC active, you'll ideally want to set your occupation garrison template to armored cars - they're the most efficient unit, in terms of suppression for price. Cavalry and infantry are soft, and take vastly more casualties than ACs. Ideally, if you've literally infinite industry, you actually want bloody light tanks (with an MP brigade) to be your garrison, because that minimises manpower requirements.

You also, ideally, don't want to change off Civilian Government. All other occupation policies (save for the very special ones the Allies and Soviets get) are trash, and you want as much Compliance as you can get, ASAP. Afaik high compliance helps keep resistance down, too. Reman's Paradox did a fantastic and in-depth guide to this topic. But the right compliance choices can save you literally thousands of troops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnEY4xEKoqE

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The most important thing is running the collaboration operation a couple times before you attack a major, which gives ~30% compliance for each completion.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The most important thing is running the collaboration operation a couple times before you attack a major, which gives ~30% compliance for each completion.

Who's got time for that :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I am aware that armored cars are superior when it comes to occupation, but I wasn't convinced it was the optimal play in my situation to go and invest a bunch of military factories into producing armored cars that weren't going anywhere but dealing with occupation when I could've been putting that production into tanks, motorized, fighters and naval bombers, all of which are going to feature more heavily in actually finishing the war, at which point I can just puppet the territory and not have to deal with it.

Of course, that does come with the caveat that the war vs. the Allies has a good chance of going beyond the point I decide "gently caress this, we're not finishing this war and declaring this run over", but in that case, I was never going to have the chance to let compliance tick up sloooooooowly to the point where it's actually helping me out vs. just going Martial Law and pressing resistance down as hard as I can.

I might of course be doing the mental math in my head completely wrong, but that was my line of thought as to why I just went with CAV for suppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I am aware that armored cars are superior when it comes to occupation, but I wasn't convinced it was the optimal play in my situation to go and invest a bunch of military factories into producing armored cars that weren't going anywhere but dealing with occupation when I could've been putting that production into tanks, motorized, fighters and naval bombers, all of which are going to feature more heavily in actually finishing the war, at which point I can just puppet the territory and not have to deal with it.

Of course, that does come with the caveat that the war vs. the Allies has a good chance of going beyond the point I decide "gently caress this, we're not finishing this war and declaring this run over", but in that case, I was never going to have the chance to let compliance tick up sloooooooowly to the point where it's actually helping me out vs. just going Martial Law and pressing resistance down as hard as I can.

I might of course be doing the mental math in my head completely wrong, but that was my line of thought as to why I just went with CAV for suppression.

Hence, ideally. Many factors influence the decision on what to use, and CAV certainly ain't a bad choice. Manpower certainly tends to be more readily available than factories for much of the game.