Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, besides the fact that this is one of, if not the most complete and functional major mods for HoI4 with content basically everywhere and everything working drat near flawlessly, the devs also made up a loving history book's worth of lore for the mod. And you probably miss most of it if you're just playing regularly.

It's kinda ludicrous. And that's not even getting into the amount of characters and events that are some sort of in-joke or reference that basically nobody of us will ever get, but somebody else is laughing their rear end off about.

EaW is loving insane, is what I'm getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Alright, we're making good progress on the "beating people up" front. Now we just need to beat some more people up so we can reach our next stage, which is beating more people up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Our next war is going to be a big one, so we need some time to prepare. But meanwhile, some other nations decide to fill the void and start a big war of their own.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"Be warned, our words are backed by Nuclear Weapons!"

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Grammarchist posted:

"Be warned, our words are backed by Nuclear Weapons!"

Oh, you don't know the half of it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Alright, time to get a big war going ourselves. Surely, nothing unexpected will happen!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I guess the Republics had a sense of solidarity or something

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah that was exactly what happened in my Griffonian Empire game, attack skyfall "oh no that army you had ready to invade actually has to go north now to cover a flank you didn't think you needed to cover" insert 1 year of extra warfare.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Now that we're really starting to get big, it's time to get even bigger, of course. We're starting to run out of people to beat up on our continent.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
You delivered the light at the end of the tunnel Beakolini saw, I see.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The mass destruction starts here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lynneth posted:

You delivered the light at the end of the tunnel Beakolini saw, I see.

I don't get a lot of opportunity to use nukes in my HoI4 games. Usually the campaign is either over by then, I'm playing a minor that doesn't really get nukes, the mod runs too slow at that point or whatnot. So when I do get the opportunity, I'm more than glad to use them.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I don't get a lot of opportunity to use nukes in my HoI4 games. Usually the campaign is either over by then, I'm playing a minor that doesn't really get nukes, the mod runs too slow at that point or whatnot. So when I do get the opportunity, I'm more than glad to use them.

The nice thing about EAW is that there's so many fewer countries, a lot less population, and thus less divisions. That makes things run so much better it's not even funny.
I know exactly how you feel. I know I nuked Vesalipolis the first chance I got.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheMcD posted:

There are so few repercussions that it just feels like a peace bringing superweapon.

Removes military with each application. Apply repeatedly until resistance is eliminated.

Someone with a lot of time on their hands could spend a long time writing fan fiction about your campaign.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
The mod developers run a fanfic writing contest once a year, in fact. The last one just ended.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Turns out that in this mod, big countries have big militaries. A lot larger than ours, in fact. So we kinda need to fix that.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I cringed a little when you took suicide pills; those are actively detrimental by killing your experienced agents, when agents can only reach level 2 and take ages to get there. I mean, I guess it's convenient because you can just rehire a basic agent rather than having to rescue the dude, but still. I don't know why they added it if it kills your good dudes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lynneth posted:

I cringed a little when you took suicide pills; those are actively detrimental by killing your experienced agents, when agents can only reach level 2 and take ages to get there. I mean, I guess it's convenient because you can just rehire a basic agent rather than having to rescue the dude, but still. I don't know why they added it if it kills your good dudes.

My primary objective is to keep intelligence networks running so I have more information on my enemy, and run anti-partisan operations in my own territory. As such, experienced spies are basically identical to fresh ones as far as I'm concerned. Rescuing spies usually destroys my intelligence network by having more spies drawn away from having them running and requires a slow rebuild when I only have 2 of them to start with (which often is the case in games where I mostly have puppets as allies and have actually useful advisors so I don't end up picking the Illusive Gentleman).

So I'd rather have the additional lowering of detection chance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Hey, remember that thing where I said we surely wouldn't be committing horrible war crimes a while back? Uh, well, I've never seen a Geneva for there to be a convention from in this world, so wanton nuclear weapon use surely isn't a warcrime! Besides, if we win the war, nobody can complain!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We're definitely not the bad guys.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Turns out that when the enemy has copious numbers and an ocean separating you from them, you need to take some, uh, different methods to win.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

There's one true major power remaining in the world that isn't us. And we can't have that. But before we can take them on, we need to get ready for a massive war. Which mostly involves building infinite infrastructure and airfields.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
This thread:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It seems that it took a long time to get anything more than a foothold after invading Nova Griffonia (until a couple dozen nukes were dropped). Did all those troops belong to the invaded country? Or did they receive support from other countries?

By comparison, it seems that Pingland and Stalliongrad were relative pushovers.

Do you expect the rest of the neighboring states to fall just as quickly?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

sb hermit posted:

It seems that it took a long time to get anything more than a foothold after invading Nova Griffonia (until a couple dozen nukes were dropped). Did all those troops belong to the invaded country? Or did they receive support from other countries?

By comparison, it seems that Pingland and Stalliongrad were relative pushovers.

Do you expect the rest of the neighboring states to fall just as quickly?

Well, Pingland is a total pushover regardless because they have, like, no industry, so they're not comparable to Nova Griffonia and Stalliongrad. But between those two, the core difference is that with Stalliongrad, we were no longer working from a naval landing. Because our first attempt to land at Weter got hosed, we had to land up north, which is garbage terrain, and so our infrastructure was for poo poo. That means we couldn't actually get in the big boys, we were basically stuck using our paratroopers to hold the line, whereas the AI nation (supported by basically every other country in the world [which, mind, at this point is basically just Equestria and friends]) could clog the line up with a lot more. So breaking through wasn't an option, really, without softening the units up (which is what the nukes accomplished).

I could've possibly done this different if I were doing it now by invading with marines that had some medium tank battalions added to give them a bit of extra oomph, but then again, that might just have ruined supply even more, so who knows.

So yeah, the main difference is that our invasion front for Nova Griffonia could mostly only support paratroopers, whereas the invasion front for Stalliongrad could support medium tanks.

As for other states, really, at this point it's just Equestria, and they have a massive loving army, which necessitated the huge build-up of infrastructure, airfields and whatnot in this latest episode. And since I've already recorded the rest of this campaign (over three months ago), I can tell you that Equestria will not be a pushover. This is basically the war everything's been building up to.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheMcD posted:

Well, Pingland is a total pushover regardless because they have, like, no industry, so they're not comparable to Nova Griffonia and Stalliongrad. But between those two, the core difference is that with Stalliongrad, we were no longer working from a naval landing. Because our first attempt to land at Weter got hosed, we had to land up north, which is garbage terrain, and so our infrastructure was for poo poo. That means we couldn't actually get in the big boys, we were basically stuck using our paratroopers to hold the line, whereas the AI nation (supported by basically every other country in the world [which, mind, at this point is basically just Equestria and friends]) could clog the line up with a lot more. So breaking through wasn't an option, really, without softening the units up (which is what the nukes accomplished).

I could've possibly done this different if I were doing it now by invading with marines that had some medium tank battalions added to give them a bit of extra oomph, but then again, that might just have ruined supply even more, so who knows.

So yeah, the main difference is that our invasion front for Nova Griffonia could mostly only support paratroopers, whereas the invasion front for Stalliongrad could support medium tanks.

As for other states, really, at this point it's just Equestria, and they have a massive loving army, which necessitated the huge build-up of infrastructure, airfields and whatnot in this latest episode. And since I've already recorded the rest of this campaign (over three months ago), I can tell you that Equestria will not be a pushover. This is basically the war everything's been building up to.

Thank you for clearing all of that up.

At this point in the game, are you still fighting against time, due to the student protests?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

sb hermit posted:

Thank you for clearing all of that up.

At this point in the game, are you still fighting against time, due to the student protests?

Well, basically, the issue comes from the fact that I have no idea how that part of the tree works due to never having played it before. So I'm not sure if there's some timer under the hood that's gonna blow the country up if we don't progress along the focus tree, and so we're on the clock as far as demobilization is concerned. We could technically just sit on this, keep the student protest debuff (which isn't *that* bad, all things considered) and just wait until the war's over before doing the focuses that demilitarize, I just don't know if that's going to gently caress us harder than if we just did the focuses. I genuinely don't remember what we did in the end (again, it's literally three months since I uploaded these episodes, which means it's been even longer since I edited them and even longer since we recorded them). You'll have to see what happens in the next episode, I suppose!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheMcD posted:

Well, basically, the issue comes from the fact that I have no idea how that part of the tree works due to never having played it before. So I'm not sure if there's some timer under the hood that's gonna blow the country up if we don't progress along the focus tree, and so we're on the clock as far as demobilization is concerned. We could technically just sit on this, keep the student protest debuff (which isn't *that* bad, all things considered) and just wait until the war's over before doing the focuses that demilitarize, I just don't know if that's going to gently caress us harder than if we just did the focuses. I genuinely don't remember what we did in the end (again, it's literally three months since I uploaded these episodes, which means it's been even longer since I edited them and even longer since we recorded them). You'll have to see what happens in the next episode, I suppose!

:f5:

looking forward to more nukes

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Time for the big war. All bets are off and all nukes are flying.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

"the ciphers that were so easy to decrypt because every second word is 'nuke''

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If anyone wants to pick up Hearts of Iron 4 for $1 (yes, only one dollar) there's a humble bundle deal for it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/hearts-of-iron

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With Equestria out of the picture, there's only a few nations left for us to truly finish our world conquest. Might as well, right?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

What's all this, then?

This is the One Year War mod for Hearts of Iron 4. It's a Gundam mod.

What's it about?

Gundam. Universal Century Gundam, or so I'm told. Look, I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about here. Ibble's the one that knows about Gundam, not me. I know there's Zeon, and there's an Earth Federation, and the point we start at Zeon has like half the world and I think I heard that that's when the original show starts or something (there are earlier bookmarks).

And what makes the mod special?

There's two main things. For one, there's the tech tree, which amongst other things has a whole bunch of different mobile suits and such to research, build and field. This comes with a whole bunch of different equipment. And the other thing is that there's space, which in HoI4 means that there's a part of the map that's just cut out and completely separated from the rest of the map apart from straits that go across the entire world. It's kind of a mess, actually.

Is it any good?

That's a complicated question. For now, suffice it to say that our time playing this mod will not last as long as Equestria at War.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the G gundam tangent 10 minutes in is enough for me to post the greatest gundam ever, the representative of neo-holland, the nether gundam.

it made the finals of the gundam fight by spending 11 months pretending to be a windmill.

i will edit in like, actual response to the mod/video in a bit but I had to post nether gundam first

EDIT: this seems like an incredibly cool mod that is hamstrung by the fact that HOI4...isn't really an engine that works super well with how gundam works.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 31, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My personal favourite moment of G Gundam was discovering that Neo France's Gundam garage is a giant snail.

thepharmtech
Feb 15, 2017

Take the suggestion from my avatar
Will have to check out the gundam mod episode when I get a chance

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

While I'm impressed by the level of work that has gone into this, I genuinely feel like Gihren's Greed without the translation patch would be easier for me to wrap my head around.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It's pretty funny that Magehold seems to be the only territory with a custom news report for when it gets nuked.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

We start making some moves, and things are looking good! Maybe this won't be as tough as we thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I have finally caught up.

The ride has been amazing. Thank you for doing this!