Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

My intent for later campaigns, if this takes off, is to do different mods. I love playing different HoI4 mods. So maybe we could do Kaiserreich next, as the mechanics are still largely the same but with a different world to play around with.

EDIT: Like, if you wanted to pin me down to something right now, the next planned campaign would be somewhere in China in Kaiserreich, since that's a really interesting region since the rework happened.
I dare you to do EAW eventually. It's legitimately one of the highest-quality mods I played to date, alongside goddamn Kaiserreich.

That said, looking forward to a complete newbie learning the game as it is nowadays. I've been playing for 500 hours and still feel like I'm learning constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Encirclement talk around 4 mins in
Victory points produce a limited amount of supply. So places like Badajoz and Oviedo produce some basic supplies if you hold them. This means that a city with like 40 VP that isn't the country capital can hold ridiculously well under the right circumstances, even when fully cut off from the rest of the country.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
On occupation: With the appropriate DLC active, you'll ideally want to set your occupation garrison template to armored cars - they're the most efficient unit, in terms of suppression for price. Cavalry and infantry are soft, and take vastly more casualties than ACs. Ideally, if you've literally infinite industry, you actually want bloody light tanks (with an MP brigade) to be your garrison, because that minimises manpower requirements.

You also, ideally, don't want to change off Civilian Government. All other occupation policies (save for the very special ones the Allies and Soviets get) are trash, and you want as much Compliance as you can get, ASAP. Afaik high compliance helps keep resistance down, too. Reman's Paradox did a fantastic and in-depth guide to this topic. But the right compliance choices can save you literally thousands of troops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnEY4xEKoqE

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The most important thing is running the collaboration operation a couple times before you attack a major, which gives ~30% compliance for each completion.

Who's got time for that :v:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I am aware that armored cars are superior when it comes to occupation, but I wasn't convinced it was the optimal play in my situation to go and invest a bunch of military factories into producing armored cars that weren't going anywhere but dealing with occupation when I could've been putting that production into tanks, motorized, fighters and naval bombers, all of which are going to feature more heavily in actually finishing the war, at which point I can just puppet the territory and not have to deal with it.

Of course, that does come with the caveat that the war vs. the Allies has a good chance of going beyond the point I decide "gently caress this, we're not finishing this war and declaring this run over", but in that case, I was never going to have the chance to let compliance tick up sloooooooowly to the point where it's actually helping me out vs. just going Martial Law and pressing resistance down as hard as I can.

I might of course be doing the mental math in my head completely wrong, but that was my line of thought as to why I just went with CAV for suppression.

Hence, ideally. Many factors influence the decision on what to use, and CAV certainly ain't a bad choice. Manpower certainly tends to be more readily available than factories for much of the game.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Das Panzer posted:

As one of the localizers for EaW going on three years now I'm pretty excited for when you eventually reach our corner of guns war circlegame mods. :allears:

I can't believe I'm just now finding this thread though shame on me. Think I'll end up binge-watching all the episodes you have so far after my weekly Only War game tonight!

As for Naval Combat: as someone who understands it fairly well nowadays even I think it's not a very engaging system outside of vanilla play- and vanilla is very bland to me nowadays. Paradox's work on the Espionage system though? Fantastic, 10/10, favorite thing to play with in Hoi4 nowadays. If you want, I can sperg out over boat things such as the most efficient way to navally invade anyone (hint, it involves ignoring the naval invasion assistance command) and other such things such as the still completely viable destroyer doomstack.

Sperging is what we're here for, mate. Go do it.
Also, Zebrica when?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

This is excellent BOTE science. I'll try to remember it for my own games.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
You could've switched those Mountaineer templates into basic infantry. That way you could#ve kept their experience. Iirc, clicking the double arrow besides the button to delete 'em does the trick.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not sure if it's come up before, but the previous and this video have a weird background noise occasionally. This one has it at 2:27-2:38, among several more occurrences. I think it might have to do with echoing?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I really ought to play modern Kaiserreich one of these days. I used to play KR in Darkest Hour quite a bit, and from what I'm seeing moving to HoI4 only seems to have brought improvements.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm super looking forward to you guys playing this thing. :allears:
The best thing about the mod is that it runs super smooth even lategame, and they have a lotta more techs to research.
I played the mod a lot - mostly Equestria-focused, but tried a good bunch of Griffonian nations too. There's just so much interesting stuff.

Das Panzer posted:

If anyone has any mod questions that aren't update spoilers, I can answer them, as well as give my two cents on design decisions if McD doesn't mind.
[Insert country] update when?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
There's a map of the canonicity of certain places - in the way of 'These places in fact exist in the show, and a bunch of locales and characters exist in the show'.
The southern chunk is Zebrica, which is yet-to-be-released, and will likely take many more months.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
You delivered the light at the end of the tunnel Beakolini saw, I see.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I don't get a lot of opportunity to use nukes in my HoI4 games. Usually the campaign is either over by then, I'm playing a minor that doesn't really get nukes, the mod runs too slow at that point or whatnot. So when I do get the opportunity, I'm more than glad to use them.

The nice thing about EAW is that there's so many fewer countries, a lot less population, and thus less divisions. That makes things run so much better it's not even funny.
I know exactly how you feel. I know I nuked Vesalipolis the first chance I got.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I cringed a little when you took suicide pills; those are actively detrimental by killing your experienced agents, when agents can only reach level 2 and take ages to get there. I mean, I guess it's convenient because you can just rehire a basic agent rather than having to rescue the dude, but still. I don't know why they added it if it kills your good dudes.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Welp, that's that then.
Thanks for the ride, mate. Been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Congrats on finally destroying fascism!

And thank you for the different mod-showcases.