Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

turol posted:

Phrasing!

I tried some games as Germany and bounced pretty hard off HoI4 after getting my rear end kicked. I'm currently playing the new patch of Stellaris but will try this game again after watching some more of your LP. Maybe I can actually figure out how it works.

I strongly recommend doing an USSR run (with historical focuses) as a newbie's first attempt at HoI4. Germany is the primary "driver" of WW2, and playing as them sort of requires you to already know all the key systems in the game, and for you to actively be involved in making things happen. As Russia, you can sort of let things happen to you, which lets you learn the key systems one at a time, instead of all at once. Also, you have serious strategic depth, so you can learn from your mistakes without save/reload, and fix them for the next defense line.

Also, if your first run is Russia you get to experience the eastern front the proper way -- desperate defense against a seemingly unstoppable force, slowly grinding it down until it starts collapsing and then fighting it back into it's lair. You will never have that experience again, simply because the HoI4 AI isn't good enough to do that to a good player Russia, you can beat it without ever losing control of a single province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU