Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hi critique thread!

I wrote a lot of fiction when I was younger and then got ground down by academic and business writing. Thought I'd give fiction a try again this year and I just finished my first short story in about 17 years. I think I'm just looking to figure out how to work through some of my weaknesses. Things like dialogue and character voice.

I still read a lot so I'll do my best to provide helpful feedback as well.

Here's my story, all 6900 words of it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FODMAjpHdotUvltpe0qKmtMRqUVz4m91kOdL_EaZU2o/edit?usp=sharing

I don't know if a line-by-line critique is necessary. I think I'm mainly dissatisfied with the car ride, and the final setting at the end with the tunnel/cave system. I think it's unintentionally disorienting and I'm not sure how to describe it clearly while portraying the character's confusion. While I was writing it I was trying to remember how Ballingrud communicated things in the crevasse story from North American Lake Monsters.

Thanks in advance, I've also joined the thunderdome discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

Good work getting back to writing after 17 years.

a friendly penguin posted:

Hi and welcome back to fiction writing!

Thank you both for the thoughtful critiques, I really appreciate them. I just didn't have the energy last week to return to it and give it a big structural edit.

I'm going to dive in a bit this evening, hopefully.