Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Hi! I'm looking for crits on my short (only 3800 words!) that was popular on /r/HFY and Tumblr.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JDMXf4fCDpKDqvjeLEQzlhA1F8jMvj5mMFcZV0mP9nA/edit?usp=sharing

This is a self contained story, but I plan on using the crits on my longer stuff. Thanks for reading!
I’ll try and offer a more substantive crit later, but on a quick first read I’d recommend paying attention to your tenses: you begin in past, and then switch to present when Captain Shimmer reminisces, and then you alternate back and forth a bit. eg:

quote:

The human made an entry into his pad. It chirruped at him, and he narrows his eyes slightly. He sighs and looks up at Shimmer.

All of these verbs should be in the same tense for the story to work: right now, there’s an awkward shift between “chirruped” and “narrows” which takes me out of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Tense errors are my cross to bear. It’s the thing I seemingly have the most trouble with. Thanks! I’ll go correct them.
They’re difficult! Especially in a first draft when you’re still working out the narrative voice, it can be easy to slip and fall into a different tense, and that could then influence the way you write the rest of the story. A story told predominantly in present tense might have more immediacy and tension than a story written in past, for instance.

I think your narrative felt more confident in the past tense narration, but it might be worth experimenting between rewriting scenes in each tense to see how it changes the story and how you tell it.