Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I’ve finally finished what I hope is the last major revision of a novel I’ve been working on for years, and I’d like some impressions from outside my writing group on the opening chapters.

This was supposed to be the first book in a huge scifi series (I’ve partially written 5 books in it so far), and I’m concerned it’s going to give the wrong impression/expectations for the rest of the series. For one, it’s a coming-of-age story of my long-term protagonist and I’m worried it reads as too YA when the rest of the series is definitely not. If this is the case, I may shelve it for a while an call it a prequel.

Tentative title is Earthling. Duran was genetically engineered to live in space, but the program was deemed illegal and shut down. Now he must navigate a life on Earth he’s ill-suited for. He fucks around and finds out more than he ever wanted to know about himself and the secretive Institute that watches over and controls him.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xiMErKBZXLyzkn4ekWQUCgbbYUfkfhbipaZmdfwwez4/edit

Once the story gets going, Duran's voice is a lot of fun and the setting is interesting enough that I would've happily kept reading past the pages provided, but I think the prologue is doing you a real disservice. A character we don't know yet thinking in abstract terms about events we haven't seen is really hard to get a grip on. I almost stopped reading out of fear the whole story would be that vague, but once you get past it, the prose is grounded and engaging.

Without knowing more about where things go, it's hard to comment on false expectations. What are you hoping to do with the series? If you're writing for fun or to self-publish then ignore me, but if you're planning to pursue traditional publication then having the full five book series written before you've even queried the first one is at best going to be a waste of your time - the books are likely going to change in editing to the point the sequels will have to be rewritten - and at worst going to put agents and editors off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU