Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Ccs posted:

I'm looking for feedback on the opening section of my novel. A lot of people have looked at it and I got a few sparse notes but I had one recent viewer that had an issue with almost every line. I was so thrown by the reaction that I'm now second guessing my ability to string a sentence together or construct a scene at all. Wondering if people here will have similar reactions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yQn0Ehp2HM11BlNUr5eNojWZnkl61siqKHi1Qas7ea8/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to comment on the doc or quote sections here, though as I just learned trying to copy from Google Docs into a forum post leads to very strange formatting issues.
I'll also take a look at the next few things posted in this thread that people are looking for feedback on, as long as they're not too many pages.

Just threw my crit in the doc as well. I did a few line-by-lines and then an overall at the bottom. You've got a good grip on your protagonist and his conflict and it came across well, so that's the bulk of the hard poo poo out of the way. Now you can focus on all the boring stuff, like verb choices and sentence order.

As for the recent crit bringing you down, I just went through something similar and I know how much it sucks. I got through it by reminding myself that a) the person took the time to critique, and that's absolutely better than someone not caring about the story enough to say anything, and b) some people's critique style is focused strictly on pointing out problems, rather than highlighting both what works and what doesn't. And that's okay! Strangely enough, there are people in this world who really want to have their flaws pointed out in excruciating detail, which is why the subreddit /r/roastme exists. For others, this isn't particularly helpful, and they need some positivity in the mix too. That's why /r/getmotivated exists. Those groups couldn't be more different, yet each one has millions of followers. Point is, it takes all kinds of make a world, and even your harshest critic can be trying to help you in their own way.

having said all that, i still hate getting harsh crits, and i for sure stay up all night thinking about them as i take sad pics of myself in animal crossing. such is life...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I wrote a ~3500 word spec-fic lite that I'd love to get some crits on, if anybody's interested. My goal is to maybe try and shop this around at some point, so any kind of feedback is helpful.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kY4Coz_A4DEmEJve-RuWrtJ1ffQBzlaXwKLQeQhVX8k/edit?usp=sharing

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

ultrachrist posted:

The prose in this is pretty good! It rarely got in the way of the story for me. I read the entire thing.

Here's what jumped out at me:
- The first vignette is boring. I think a big problem with it is the girl does not read as her age. Her internal thoughts seem much older. Kid writing is hard but it's one of those things that's really obvious when it's done well.
- Partway through the second vignette, I started thinking "the writer better have a really good explanation w/r/t how these link together", but I was disappointed in the "I explain everything" ending.
- It's not as egregious as part 1, but the teen girl doesn't feel completely like her age either.
- When you look at how these sorts of stories work... stuff like Cloud Atlas and David Mitchell's other books or If on a Winter's Night a Traveler... usually the different stories are highly different in tone and setting. The reader is immersed in different worlds/characters while wondering how they're tied together. This is of course difficult to accomplish in 3500 words. In your story, the tone is fairly similar across each, especially the first two. Jewel as macguffin isn't very intriguing.

All in all, I found it well-written but it didn't really grab me.

Thanks for the feedback! From the other crits I've gotten and this, I really need to make it clear that all three sections are being narrated by the person at the end, which is why the voice and tone are all the same and why the eight-year-old and fourteen-year-old's thoughts don't read as their on-page ages. The ending has been poorly-received across the board, too, so I'll have to go back to the drawing board on that.