Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The only thing worse than the debate are the expected characters coming here to say the rambling nonsense of Trump is going to change any voter's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Guys should I be scared for Biden right now? How much does this impact the needle?

6% of expected viewers said they may change their minds based on the debates. Most of them don't live in swing states.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"Trump is doing great" - a really intuitive forums post by someone who just heard Trump publicly disagree and humiliate everyone running his Covid operation

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

morothar posted:

I honestly don't get the griping. Biden is doing fine. He's showing empathy and I think him addressing the audience directly is a good strategy.

Will it be seen as weakness by Trump's base? Sure, they absolutely see empathy as weakness. But normally functioning people don't.

Do you have avatars on or forums tags? That will help you figure out what's happening in the thread.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SpitztheGreat posted:

So just tuning in. How do we think it has gone? Has Biden avoided disaster?

Biden is going to eke out a win in polls in the next few days. Period. It doesn't matter what ideologues here say because only a small fraction of voters are gettable right now and none of them are close to "D&D posters." They are overly polite suburbanites and midwesterners. They are older people who wait to decide because they think it makes them look intelligent.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

There are no persuadable voters, it is a battle of energized bases, and Biden is doing nothing to energize his voters

This is absolutely false and absolutely nonsensical. You have very little grasp of this electorate right now. People are principally voting AGAINST trump and Biden is winning as a result. Trump yelling and going nuts the entire night aggravates people and motivates them to go out and vote against him. This is not about energized bases.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"Trump is winning" - a guy who just heard Trump ramble about the environment

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

How are u posted:

It isn't his plan.

Right he didn't come up with it first of all and has suggested since 2019 that he wants to create a version of such a deal that is his own (probably wildy worse). There should be no surprises or shock here that he doesn't support it. It's not new.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Someone is on stage saying the courts and other tools can be used to undermine the election. But hey he also loud man and loud man make many noise me think that make him win and people like him.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Wonder if that'll make up for the people he pissed off by explicitly denouncing the things they care about.

https://twitter.com/bmoreconnected/status/1311130475713495042

Their websites are hosted on godaddy bronze level accounts so it doesn't take much traffic to knock them out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1311133231417184261?s=20

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So we're going to wake up to every poll saying Biden won and a bunch of people who spent the night saying Biden got trounced just disappear into the aether again? Is that about right?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Popete posted:

I can %100 agree with people saying Joe Biden sucks and will not actually bring about any real reform or change in a 4 year term. Where you're losing me is how handing Trump the reigns for another 4 years makes things better. Is this what 4D chess is???

A trump win somehow makes them transform into vital gatekeepers of future policy. (it won't)

There are a number of people who genuinely believe there is no difference between them but frankly, it's a dumb opinion. Very dumb.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Regd04 praising and dreaming salivating over the Victory of the Technocrat

There's nothing but risk in your only "card" being 'hope Biden loses.' If Biden wins, and protest/third party voting is low, how does that help progressive politics again?

I see some NoJoes on the forum as preparing to kick themselves in the rear end.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

So what you're saying is you didn't read it.

It was decided properly on timing and other issues, with support of a Republican who served as legal counsel to Scott Walker (someone whose politics benefit greatly from Greens winning the case). The merits of the dissent were not deliberated. There is probably some validity to what they were ultimately arguing, but it wasn't decided.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

fart simpson posted:

well gee, if we have so much power then maybe biden should listen to our demands?

This is the problem, my dude. What if, and hear me out, Biden crushes it, and Howie gets like, no votes. You know, like he's getting 0% google searches? Your entire political life right now revolves around: (1) the ideal case, Biden loses in a close race and the deciding factor is people like you or (2) biden loses big time and you come around showboating and gloating and making absolutely no friends from it. What if.. you know, that doesn't happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

fart simpson posted:

oh is that why i should vote for biden?

Nope, I don't care who you vote for. I'm basically just telling you what is happening right now, with people other than the selfish "you." People are coalescing around Biden and Trump. We're likely to see extremely high numbers of votes overall. Third party voting is lower than 2016. Protest votes are not appreciably different or interesting from 2016. What you do, does, not, matter. No one needs to convince you to do anything, if the polls and existing evidence is true.

In the context of a Biden victory, with little protest voting in general, my question has always been "what's your plan then?" Call people lanyards? Say everyone was tricked and that the media brainwashed 65 million+ people again? Is that it?

I'm actually interested in seeing a broad strategy, kind of like what the libertarians are pulling off, getting more of their ideas around, messaging better, using legal mechanisms better. Doing whatever they need to do. Right now, there is no functional progressive opposition. It was stronger in 2000 and stronger in 2016.